Indigo 2 Hard drive compatibility

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
japes
Donor
Donor

Re: Indigo 2 Hard drive compatibility

Unread postby japes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 pm

That drive might be too new. Indigo2 is SCSI-2 FAST, and that drive is about 4 standards ahead, drives are supposed to negotiate down, but some have dropped some support. One thing to check for before giving up on that drive is a FORCE SE jumper, enable that feature if the drive has it. It would be on the drive, not the SCA-68-50 adapter. And of course if it has a jumper it's going to be one of the tiny ones, maybe even low profile.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Toxiccameron

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:07 pm

japes wrote:That drive might be too new. Indigo2 is SCSI-2 FAST, and that drive is about 4 standards ahead, drives are supposed to negotiate down, but some have dropped some support. One thing to check for before giving up on that drive is a FORCE SE jumper, enable that feature if the drive has it. It would be on the drive, not the SCA-68-50 adapter. And of course if it has a jumper it's going to be one of the tiny ones, maybe even low profile.

Cant seem to find it on my ibm drive. There is no real documentation I can find so idk if I will ever find it.I even took the cover to the main board off and it wasn't there. Do you recommend any cheap and spacey drives that do work with indigo 2's?
:Indigo2IMP:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 am

Here's the manual: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/f ... 6-01en.pdf

Looks like it should negotiate Single-Ended.

For my Indy and Indigo2's I have been using IBM 73gb 10k 2.5" SCA drives, they're Ultra320. I tried a modern drive in an Indigo once and it didn't work at all, in the Indy and Indigo2 the IBM drive I'm using does cause a couple messages during post, unexpected message type or something like that. But it seems to work. I see some on ebay right now. They're an OEM Seagate drive. The Indy provides _just_ enough cooling to keep the drive in it's spec...JUST.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-IBM-90P1316- ... SwSlBYtIEY

Obviously on the gear that expects a 3.5" SCA drive these aren't too great. I ought to run one in my Fuel come to think of it - but I do kind of want 147 or 300 gig drives in there. The 2.5" SCA drive makes a lot of room for adapters and cables that otherwise gets tight on the Indigo2 and Indy. I think it also has a little more room for air to cool it in the Indy (and Indigo2). But you do also need to find 2.5->3.5 bay adapters, but SSDs made those easier to find.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Toxiccameron

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:18 am

japes wrote:Here's the manual: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/f ... 6-01en.pdf

Looks like it should negotiate Single-Ended.

For my Indy and Indigo2's I have been using IBM 73gb 10k 2.5" SCA drives, they're Ultra320. I tried a modern drive in an Indigo once and it didn't work at all, in the Indy and Indigo2 the IBM drive I'm using does cause a couple messages during post, unexpected message type or something like that. But it seems to work. I see some on ebay right now. They're an OEM Seagate drive. The Indy provides _just_ enough cooling to keep the drive in it's spec...JUST.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-IBM-90P1316- ... SwSlBYtIEY

Obviously on the gear that expects a 3.5" SCA drive these aren't too great. I ought to run one in my Fuel come to think of it - but I do kind of want 147 or 300 gig drives in there. The 2.5" SCA drive makes a lot of room for adapters and cables that otherwise gets tight on the Indigo2 and Indy. I think it also has a little more room for air to cool it in the Indy (and Indigo2). But you do also need to find 2.5->3.5 bay adapters, but SSDs made those easier to find.

So if the drive should automatically go into single ended mode when connected to an indigo 2, then either the drive just doesn't want to work or my connection to the scsi controller is bad. I'll take a look at those drives but for now I'm going to keep messing with this drive setup.
:Indigo2IMP:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”