Octane - Red Light Bar PROM Error

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jack3k

Octane - Red Light Bar PROM Error

Unread postby jack3k » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 am

Hey everyone! Got an issue with SGI Octane, hope to find solutions here.
First of all, I want to point out that it's not actually problem that I have, cos I'm not good with computers, so a friend of mine is helping me with ressurecting that badboy, but his english is even worse than mine, so... :D
This machine has been used for pretty long time for the purposes I dont even know.
So. The problem is, that after pressing the button Octane starts. The red light bar comes on - as my friend told me, it means that it's PROM loading error.
Yet the machine is working, hard drives are spinnin, quote "The screen is black, yet the signal is transmitted - there is picture".

As my friend told me, this issue can be fixed by replacing the chip (did he mean CPU?), but he told me that's not an option rn.
Hope to get any help or advices here, thanks!

Kumba

Re: Octane - Red Light Bar PROM Error

Unread postby Kumba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:17 pm

jack3k wrote:Hey everyone! Got an issue with SGI Octane, hope to find solutions here.
First of all, I want to point out that it's not actually problem that I have, cos I'm not good with computers, so a friend of mine is helping me with ressurecting that badboy, but his english is even worse than mine, so... :D
This machine has been used for pretty long time for the purposes I dont even know.
So. The problem is, that after pressing the button Octane starts. The red light bar comes on - as my friend told me, it means that it's PROM loading error.
Yet the machine is working, hard drives are spinnin, quote "The screen is black, yet the signal is transmitted - there is picture".

As my friend told me, this issue can be fixed by replacing the chip (did he mean CPU?), but he told me that's not an option rn.
Hope to get any help or advices here, thanks!

Is a keyboard plugged in? If you don't have a keyboard plugged in, the Octane's PROM will drop to serial console and turn on the red LED in the lightbar. You can test for serial by hooking up a console set to 9600 8N1 and tap the enter key a few times. If that doesn't work, also try 19200 or 38400 baud, both 8N1. Plug a keyboard in, and it should go to video at that point. If it doesn't, but you can get serial to respond, select option 5 at the PROM banner and type "printenv" and see what the setting of the "console" variable is. It should say "g", but could say "d0" if a previous owner forced it to serial console.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

Return to “SGI: Hardware”