What do you use your Fuel for?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Vanne

What do you use your Fuel for?

Unread postby Vanne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm

I've acquired a Fuel! .Pretty much on the promise that it's much quieter than my octane 2. Ive matched it up with a nice sw1600 with lvds card, but might get rid of that for a nice modern monitor. (Haven't powered it up after shipping so fingers still crossed it all works fine) but as I am rather short on desk space real estate, what could I actually use it for? Can I use it as a daily driver?
It's the 600mhz model, will it be fast enough for day to day tasks? I have on my desk a iMac, Mac Pro,C64, and a BeOS R5.03 box which I use a lot.
Boxen: Indy, Indigo2 Impact, O2, Octane, and building......

hardwire

Re: What do you use your Fuel for?

Unread postby hardwire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 pm

I lusted for a Fuel when I got into SGI's a few years ago and eventually got one. I tried to use it as a daily driver like other members here could but sadly the Fuel's wow factor wore off only after a couple months. It was loud, hot, used a lot of power, and very limited. So now I just turn it on to make a couple shapes in Maya, drag some IRIX windows around, or heat my room :(

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

In my experience with my two FUEL's I'd have to disagree with hardwire on this.
One FUEL is pretty maxed out, 4GB, 800Mhz 2 large drives and the other 512MB, 600MHz and single drive and both are extremely usable and nippy. For desktop apps, you can't really tell the difference, both are fairly quiet (unless I'm going deaf in my old age) and both work fairly flawlessly.

Obviously, not the machines for rendering stuff if you are in a rush, but with a good install and the rights apps, I see no problem using on a daily basis.

The one thing I do agree on, is that they heat the room up nice (something I need in the winter).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:41 pm

hardwire wrote:Fuel ... loud, hot, used a lot of power

i guess you never used a "real" workstation :P

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:13 am

Vanne wrote:What could I actually use it for? Can I use it as a daily driver? It's the 600mhz model, will it be fast enough for day to day tasks?

Well, the obvious answer is another question: What are these day-to-day tasks you speak of?

If it's doing admin and horseing around on the command line. Then yes, you can use it as a daily driver. You'll have to install some sort of modern shell and few utilities du jour like SSH, the modern file archivers, wget and whatever else you need to do get your job done. But, most definitely, you can use it as a daily-driver.

If it's using the web, then not really. There's no browser available for IRIX beyond Firefox 3.0.19. The web anno 2017 uses so much Javascript, Webfonts and other stuff for even the simplest pages that the Web is painful place on IRIX. That's if you can even get the page because of HTTPS issues. There's always the X11 remote display option, but I haven't used that in years so I can't say if it's still functional. The Cool Kids may have ripped all of that out.

If it's writing code, say C or C++ or whatever language you have compilers or interpreters for - then yes, possibly, you could use it as a daily driver. Especially if you're working on command-line programmes. User Interface is going to be a challenge. Latest Gtk/Qt libs dont work. Older ones do. Crusty Motif does, as do a number of less well-known UI libs. Note that OpenGL is at version prehistoric (1.2) without multi-texturing and a few other extensions. It's old school fixed pipeline non-shader stuff only. If you're used to working in an IDE then IDE vs Nedit+tools+shell is a religious debate of another kind. In the end It might be a bit loud and your compile times will be slow, but I think you could use it to code 'real world' stuff and to learn a bunch of new languages just fine.

If it's design and graphics, then maybe. If you have access to some of the high-end programmes of yore, then perhaps. I've run various Blenders up to version 2.48/2.49 without much ado. Though I'd recommend going back to even older versions of Blender. The other FOSS staples like GIMP and Inkscape are a pain. Older version will work, but they are dog slow because of Gtk+ and other things. Also these, and other digital media programmes, tend to be optimised for AltiVec and SSE style ops in intel and other chips. As far as I know, (but hardware not my forte) the MIPS cpu's in SGI workstations dont have any such cpu speed-up extentions. So it's going to be slow from the get go.

If it's media playback. Yeah it'll work . MPlayer etc. MP3/ FLAC rara bla bla all of it work in some fashion or another. You'll have to find the UI you like, something low-resource consuming and many videos will not play smoothly because there's simply too much data to process for your 600Mhz, but on the whole with a bit of good judgement you should be able to use it to watch those old Veronica Mars xvids.

If it's documents, then again, it depends. Editor+LATeX work a treat. Older versions of Lyx will work fine. There's TeD - a basic RTF wordprocessor. If you're lucky, you might find a copy of WordPerfect 6.0 for IRIX. The newer OpenSource stuff, not so much. OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Never happening. Reading is fine too, MuPDF is lovely. There's other stuff out there, you'll have to look around. But, yes you can document process.

If you need things like Dropbox etc. you'll need to get a little creative, but it can be done.

In the end, you just need to be aware of the fact that your Fuel is a 600Mhz MIPS-based generic computing device, running an off-beat UNIX with an iffy USB implementation. Desktop Unix has been 2Ghz+ Intel-based, running some distro of GNU/Linux, for long enough now that any other unices should be considered 'exotic'. We cannot expect current developers to cater for IRIX ideosyncracies.

I suggest your approach should be one of delight if source X compiles out of the tarball, whilst trying to not get too disheartened or disappointed if it doesn't.

Time to fire-up your text-editor and start patching sources :)

J

PS. As to answering your question... Occasionally, I use redbox to patch source so it compiles on IRIX, and if I'm feeling particularly adventurous I dabble in some poor C/C++ coding with Motif. If my Real Life computing needs would be less Virtual Worlds immersive 3D oriented, I'm sure I'd use my Fuel on a daily basis much more.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

mia

Unread postby mia » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:37 am

you should checkout https://github.com/tenox7/wrp , it renders javascript on another box, and sends you the result to your browser in the form of clickable images; very clever. work in progress of course.
:Onyx2:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

mia wrote:you should checkout https://github.com/tenox7/wrp , it renders javascript on another box, and sends you the result to your browser in the form of clickable images; very clever. work in progress of course.

I tried WRP but couldn't get it to work (sent broken pages with really messed up image source URLs). YMMV.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

mia

Unread postby mia » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:16 am

I used it on the vax with netscape 3.x, worked pretty well, you should post a bug if you found one, it would help making it better.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:50 pm

mia wrote:I used it on the vax with netscape 3.x, worked pretty well, you should post a bug if you found one, it would help making it better.

Would have submitted a bug, but I'm wondering if it's my configuration as opposed to the program itself. I didn't really have time to fully work through it, may have been doing something improperly myself, and haven't really had time to go back to it. If I do and it really is the program's fault as far as I can tell, I will do so.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

mia

Unread postby mia » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Well, it has a few quirks, it's not a replacement of a real browser yet, but the concept is great, much better than trying to fix firefox/irix; plus, it just offloads a lot of computation, no need to spend precious mips cycles at rendering JS.

toasty

Unread postby toasty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 pm

I use Mozilla or Seamonkey on my Fuel since they are much snappier than firefox3. I don't really care if a site is properly rendered or not as long as I can read the content. Proxy2 is a nice simple proxy for accessing HTTPS sites with older browsers: https://github.com/inaz2/proxy2

jimmer wrote:those old Veronica Mars xvids.

I don't mean to brag but yours truly was in a couple episodes of Veronica Mars!

vmars_extra.png
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Hombre71 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 am

Is there an O2 in in that box? ;-) I agree the Fuel is more snappy than other boxes I have used, but you have to be realistic about what to expect. Just out of Interest, how different is this scenario for a Tezro for instance? They are still supposedly in common use because of their extra horsepower...
:Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 am

mia wrote:I used it on the vax with netscape 3.x, worked pretty well, you should post a bug if you found one, it would help making it better.

I couldn't get it to run properly either. Managed to get the server part running on my PC, but this is the kind of stuff it sent back unfortunately: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16728477&hilit=proxy#p7380222
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

mia

Unread postby mia » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:38 am

Weird, it seemed to work fine on linux, while browsing on the vax. As shown below.
Attachments
g.jpg
z.jpg

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:58 pm

hardwire wrote:Fuel ... loud, hot, used a lot of power

That's the name of the game. The Octane with EMXI graphics really heats up my room in the winter. It was quite toasty in here when Fox was doing his compiling.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”