Monitor Calibration and IRIX?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Monitor Calibration and IRIX?

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm

I got myself a 'new' NEC LCD2690WUXi2 monitor for my Tezro/Onyx2/Octane2/Fuel. It's a 26" wide color gamut screen. Looks lovely :)

I wanted a 1920x1200 screen with a DVI-I input, which supports SOG on the analog pins of the DVI-I input, This limits choice rather a lot. Bonus points for non-cheesy appearance and a decent panel inside, and this is what I ran into.

Apparently, this monitor can be calibrated. The calibration software exists only for Mac/Windows/Linux, but the calibration result is stored in the monitor. This should make it OS-agnostic, right?

I'm really green when it comes to monitor calibration, but does that mean if I calibrate it using a Mac or Windows PC, and keep the gamma value of the Mac/Windows (while calibrating it) to whatever IRIX uses by default, I end up with a correctly calibrated colors once I attach it to an SGI again?

Anybody done something like this? Any tips or tricks?
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

foetz

Re: Monitor Calibration and IRIX?

Unread postby foetz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:56 pm

funny, a while ago i thought about getting the exact same model :P

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:16 am

jan-jaap, your assumption is quite right. This baby stores the LUTs internally, so calibration should be completely OS-agnostic. I've never used one of these, but I've heard good things about them.

On a side note: since one can't get panels with internal LUT storage for laptops (AFAIK), I calibrate my laptop screen on Windows (using the spectrophotometer - har, har) and then load the calibration file with xcalib in Linux. So, for those who don't have screens like your new NEC, porting xcalib to IRIX would be an option. Just a thought.

May I ask what you use the calibration for? My primary calibration purpose was/is digital negative work (Capture One Pro) and, actually, colour-true advertising work when I was doing the PR for our hospital in Kabul.

Completely different side note: When summer comes you, me and dexter1 should hook up for a beer! ;P
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:43 am

Beer sounds good :) And i can't wait to see Jan-Jaap's (almost) finished lair.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:21 am

jan-jaap wrote:A Tezro without FC storage and SDI monitor makes for a very short demonstration ...

Oooh. A Tezro! Can I touch it? :D
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Hombre71 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 am

Beer? The Netherland? SGI Hookup? Summer? All sounds good, count me in :)

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:04 pm

jan-jaap,
How has the NEC LCD2690WUXi2 held up? Would you recommend it for an Octane/Tezro owner .. colors any good?

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:54 pm

necron2600 wrote:jan-jaap,
How has the NEC LCD2690WUXi2 held up? Would you recommend it for an Octane/Tezro owner .. colors any good?

I'm happy with it, *but*:

1. I have not been able to calibrate it yet. I've got the NEC SpectraView software and a Spyder 5 device, but there seems to be a problem between the NVIDIA drivers for Windows and SpectraView which prevents it from communicating with the display via DDC/CI. I had the same problem on my other screen (NEC EA275WMi), but there I could use my MacBook and a displayport + a USB cable. I guess I could buy a mini-DP to DVI cable but I don't know if it passes DDC/CI, and the LCD2690WUXi2 doesn't have any USB at all. I could also try to install an older NVIDIA driver on my PC or replace the card entirely.

2. I've mostly had it attached to my Octane2, and it works well there (1920x1200 @ 60), but I've not used it for photo editing or similar tasks. The V12 has 48-bit (12-bit-per-component) RGBA capability, and 12-bit DACs, but I'm using DVI-D which is 8-bit only. But at least, with a 10-bit panel you should still have the full 16.7M color shades available when you change the white point, black point or gradation of the panel during calibration.

3. It's a 1920x1200 screen which is the most you can squeeze out of a VPro V12 single link DVI port. But it's a 26" screen and that's kind of big. I have a big desk (1m deep) so I can handle it, but you don't want to be too close to it, and current screens that size have a much higher resolution.

4. It's not new. I think it's 6 or 7 years old. It's got CCFL backlights and they won't last forever. It doesn't have dead pixels, but it has a very slight non-uniformity in the brightness near the left hand side of the screen. Could be backlight aging. You have to look for it, and it's not bothering me.

What I was looking for was a 1920x1200 screen with a DVI-I port and a non-sucky panel (VA or IPS, not TN). I wasn't looking for the hardware calibration bits. I would have settled for 24", but the price was good so I got this one.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:01 pm

jan-jaap wrote:
necron2600 wrote:jan-jaap,
but there I could use my MacBook and a displayport + a USB cable. I guess I could buy a mini-DP to DVI cable but I don't know if it passes DDC/CI,

Just a note if you are going to try that:
We were provided new computers at work with mini-DP. Company got us a bunch of mini-DP to DVI cables and half of them would not go to 1920x1200 anymore and stop at 1680x1050, mine included. It would also not identify the monitor model. The image was perfect otherwise.

Very puzzled, I took an Apple-branded mini-DP to DVI adapter from home and brought it to the office. Voilà, 1920x1200 again, and the computer would identify the monitor model.

So get a decent one from the beginning if you take that path.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Sorted out the calibration of the LCD2690WUXi2.

I have a PC with an Nvidia card running Windows 10, and it's normally attached to a NEC EA275WMi screen. It can detect this screen for what it is, and it all works fine, except the SpectraView software cannot communicate with it. Not using the DVI connection, and not using the USB connection either. Mind you, the PC sees the USB hub in the monitor, and devices attached it it.

So I had to use my MacBook to do the calibration of that screen. Silly, but whatever. But it gets better. Using the same PC and software, I *can* calibrate the LCD2690WUXi2. No communications issues at all.

So now I have to use the Mac to calibrate the screen of the PC, and the PC to calibrate the screen of the SGIs. It's like a friggin' Monty Python sketch :roll:

Edit: the colors of the LCD2690WUXi2 are magnificent :D

Return to “SGI: Hardware”