Octane - MXI to MXE?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
srarcade

Octane - MXI to MXE?

Unread postby srarcade » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:57 am

My MXI board was having problems so I scored a MXE for cheap. I tried installing it but its not producing any output. I contacted the vendor who gave it a 30-day warranty and they said first that it would only replace its own part number and nothing else and I'm probably trying to use it on something not compatible. I disagreed and they told me the "BIOS or firmware may not support it" and it was a working unit when it was sold. I understand the MXE is a second gen of the Impact MXI but they are architecturally similar- is it not a straight swap?

Edit-
Confirmed machine i was trying to swap had X-bow revision 1.2 and IP30 rev B, OS is at 6.5.10m (eek!). Any other comparability factors?

fockion

Re: Octane - MXI to MXE?

Unread postby fockion » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:00 am

Hi srarcade,

I have recently upgraded my Octane, with X-Bow 1.2 from SI to MXE with no problems. It is a straight swap!
:Octane2: 2xR14k 600MHz | 6GB | V12 + DCD
:Octane: R12k 400Mhz | MXE+ PVO
:Indigo2IMP: R4400 250MHz | MAXImpact + IMPACT VIDEO

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:04 am

Tell them, you've updated your amibios to the latest version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

srarcade

Unread postby srarcade » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks. Just verified on a second Octane that is slightly newer, same results. Machine will boot fine but no graphics output. I noticed what looked like dirt of some sort on the edge of the compression connector. Its not covering any of the connections but its borderline near it.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 am

Oil of any kind on the compression connector will phuck it. The seller probably stuck their finger on it and won't accept they did anything wrong.
You can try cleaning with HFE/Novec and hope for the best (as the card already doesn't work)
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

srarcade

Unread postby srarcade » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks. I used a drop of Deoxit5 on it which got the small bits of gunk off well but did not resolve the issue. We'll see what the vendor says tomorrow. I'm sure they'll throw the 30-day is up card at me since I'm in the last day or two of it.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Couple of things here, is your environment set to console? and secondly, does the card you have work with the same drivers? Ie: MGRAS (I think).
I have an Octane running an MXI and it uses MGRAS, with a 1.3 XBOW

I think the serial cable is your friend here.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

srarcade

Unread postby srarcade » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Well, I tried my MXI with texture issues on both Octanes I have, one with xbow 1.2, the other with 1.3- swapped in nicely, no issues. Same with SE. I always thought all the pre VPro graphics boards were considered MGRAS? I have not tried to console yet. Probably a good idea to check the logs at start, so that will be my next step i think. Thank you for the support!

srarcade

Unread postby srarcade » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Ok, so I had to order a new null modem cable but finally got to check diagnostics, heres what it shows:

Code: Select all

Starting diagnostic program...

Press <Esc> to return to the menu.

IDE CPU 1 [slave]
SGI Version 6.5 IP30 IDE field  Jul 20, 2006

System: IP30
                Processor: 300 Mhz R12000, 2M secondary cache
                Processor: 300 Mhz R12000, 2M secondary cache, (cpu 1)
              Memory size: 512 Mbytes
                  Network: ef0 ethernet (100/10 base-T)
                SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
                SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(2)
                    Audio: RAD Audio Processor
                 Graphics: ESSI

Field included scripts (help_ide to get this again):
  ALL:    regular_tests
          extended_tests
  FRUs:   ip30   frontplane   memory
          pm (processor module)
          gfx   tmezz
  subsystems: serial (loopback)   ethernet (loopback)
  useful scripts:        help_ide   help_mem

This test takes approximately 12 minutes on a good
    dual processor machine with 128MB memory and MXI graphics.

Testing Graphics in XIO slot 12
bkend FAILED
Failure detected on the GRAPHICS BOARD in XIO slot 12
Part number info:
      Part: 030-1240-003  Name: MOT20  Serial: HLX149  Revision: F
 press <Enter> to continue

I have not looked up 'bkend FAILED' yet.. hope it's not serious. Probably is.

Edit- based on the one post I found on the internet with the phrase "bkend FAILED" it looks to be a connectivity issue with the backplane. This could be that faulty compression connector that had some dirt on it. I will clean the gold contacts with some Deoxit Gold and see how it does. Perhaps it's misaligned on the sled or something stupid too.

Edit 2 - removed the board from the sled, cleaned gold terminal very carefully with Deoxit and then coated with Deoxit Gold, slides in place very nice now. Carefully cleaned the compression connector once more with a tiny bit of Deoxit, it looks very clean but who knows, it could be ruined. Aligned the board as far as the edge as I could. Ran diagnostics again, same exact result.

After inspecting the compression connector, it almost looks modular with a pair of hex screws holding it to a clamp. Does it come off? Can I trade it for one on another board or is it soldered below? I'm stuck with this board so it's an experimental toy now. It was going to cost as much as I paid for it just to send it back to the UK. I'm pretty sure they made a big error when I paid $7 for shipping to the US.

Edit 3 - i took a chance and swapped the compression connector from a SE board to the MXE. Sadly, no change, the "bkend FAILED" error still persists. I reset the connector one more time just to be sure I seated it exactly where it needed to be. So much for that idea, I'm about out of gas on this one.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”