Indigo Keyboard/Mouse converter

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
japes
Donor
Donor

Re: Indigo Keyboard/Mouse converter

Unread postby japes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 pm

All this talk of Indigo keyboards and mice, and my recent purchase of a (bit grungy) granite keyboard caused me to test out my real keyboards and mice finally. Good news is the granite keyboard works, the beige one I bought between 12-18 months ago and never tried works. The mouse I bought does not.

The mouse has a really long cable for something intended to plug into the side of the keyboard. So I popped it open and it's a little grimy but not bad. I thought the layout was odd for a serial mouse though. Just went to take pictures and thought it had too many wires (four) connected. Searching for the part number 9150809 I find an ebay listing from the seller I purchased from 16 months ago, states it's not PS/2. Ian's website on the other hand, lists it as PS/2. Oh well, back to searching for a mouse. Or maybe I need to improve on the converter since I don't mind using the period keyboard, but having an optical mouse is so much nicer.

Warning, NOT not PS/2 (it is PS/2): http://www.ebay.com/itm/390441074189

http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/other/input.html says I need a 9150800...so close.
Attachments
sgi_mouse - 3.jpg
sgi_mouse - 2.jpg
sgi_mouse - 1.jpg
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:03 am

Hmm, just came across this archive of the site. Don't own an Indigo myself, but I might take a look at recreating the adapter using Eagle. We could get them made at OSH Park, perhaps.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 pm

For the interested, I bought one of these recently on eBay again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152302569444

Looking at the original design, I am sure it could be slimmed down from two PICs and to drop the linear regulator for less power consumption. Maybe use an ARM Cortex M0 now that they're available vs. the old PIC days. One of these days I will have to decode the output of mine with a logic analyzer...
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Almost certainly you can use just one MCU. It isn't as if translating keycodes takes many computrons. Depending on power requirements the same MCU can also be used to drive a switching voltage converter.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:01 pm

I've cloned the decice using Eagle, and I also added extra ports (it's the same protocol) so you can use it with the Personal IRIS, Professional IRIS, PowerSeries, and Crimson without another adapter, as well as the Indigo and Onyx of course. I haven't bothered to slim it down whatsoever though, same circuit exactly apart from the ports and a different board layout.

What's funny is I don't even have any of these SGIs to test it with, so I don't know if I even want to get the board printed. I would sell them with a 3D printed enclosure if people were interested, but AFAIK The Keeper already does exactly that right here on Nekochan, so the only advantage of mine is more ports and a case I haven't even designed yet.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 am

I'm all for a v2 of this device, but it would be nice if the firmware was open. The current design doesn't work in combination with a PS/2 KVM switch (tried at least 3 or 4). I contacted the author of the current design many many years ago but never got an answer.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 am

jan-jaap wrote:I'm all for a v2 of this device, but it would be nice if the firmware was open. The current design doesn't work in combination with a PS/2 KVM switch (tried at least 3 or 4). I contacted the author of the current design many many years ago but never got an answer.

If I built a new version of the device, would you test it out with your machines? I can't think of another collection which would provide such a wide array of tests. You're free to look over the schematic and board view to ensure it won't kill anything. I plan to open-source the Eagle files anyway.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Dodoid wrote:If I built a new version of the device, would you test it out with your machines?

Sure!
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “SGI: Hardware”