Yet another O2 PSU fan replacement

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gijoe77

Re: Yet another O2 PSU fan replacement

Unread postby gijoe77 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:27 am

dexter1 wrote:With the added knowledge that i can block the front panel openings to allow more air over the PCB, i think this will be workable with my Papst.

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party... which front panel openings are we talking about on the o2?

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:27 pm

It seems that the thermal design page from rvic's post mentioning the front panel openings still rely on unfinished prototypes of the O2 cabinet. He mentions air leaking out of the mainboard towards the front. I cannot seem to find a good photo of the front of an O2 without scalp, but i'm pretty sure there are no significant openings of the front steel plate of production machines.

It is possible you can increase the flow over the CRIME and IO chips in the center of the board by taping down some holes in the bottom front and back, but it would be better to just run it without a PCI card. That way more air should reach the center portion of the mainboard.

All in all this is only relevant to the R10k and R12k models. The other ones are uncritical in terms of heat dissipation.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

rooprob

Unread postby rooprob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:32 pm

I don't recall what fans I have (I may be able to tell you later), but my R12k 400 O2 is whisper quiet (I also have an SSD). Run for days at a time a mix or workloads (compilation, rendering, idle etc). With north island NZ summer being in the high 25C+.
:O2: r12 400 mapleleaf :Indigo2IMP: r10 195 IRIS :Cube: NeXT
New Zealand

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 pm

rooprob wrote:I don't recall what fans I have (I may be able to tell you later), but my R12k 400 O2 is whisper quiet (I also have an SSD). Run for days at a time a mix or workloads (compilation, rendering, idle etc). With north island NZ summer being in the high 25C+.

Are you using a pci card also?

rooprob

Unread postby rooprob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

No card, and I did remove the presenter daughter card as I found that does get very hot.
:O2: r12 400 mapleleaf :Indigo2IMP: r10 195 IRIS :Cube: NeXT
New Zealand

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:09 am

just wondering how do you guys determine how hot it gets? I had my r10k 300mhz o2 running and I used one of those hand held laser thermometers. I put a piece of paper against the o2 and it looked like it was sucking the air in at the black plastic base under the AV module and also the bottom front of the o2, and it was blowing the air out of the power module - so I was scanning the return air with the thermometer and it never got hotter than 95F/35C, and this was under full load. I was also scanning the metal on the PCI card and the presenter card and they didn't break ~80F.

I also have a R12k 400 module with very rigged up heatsink (I will post a new thread with more info on that project...) and it didn't appear to go over 95F/35C either, but I will play with it more this week.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 pm

I put a handheld thermometer against the vents of the PSU and while the R5K never gets above 31-32 i have measured 36 degrees celsius on the R12K with my EBM Papst mod (both models have it). So that should still be the safe limit.
But do post your R12K mod, i'm curious what you changed in running that R12K cooler.

EDIT: nvm, i read your endeavours, very nicely done. Enjoy your module :)
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”