Origin 350/Onyx 350/Tezro Rackmount questions

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Origin 350/Onyx 350/Tezro Rackmount questions

Unread postby GL1zdA » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:43 am

I've looked recently at the various IP35 modules and have tried to compil all the information into one consistent note.

The sources were:
SGI Origin 350 Server System User's Guide
SGI Onyx 350 Visualization System User's Guide
Silicon Graphics Tezro Visual Workstation Hardware User's Guide: Rackmount Configuration

As far as I understand there are basically these "basic" (router, PCI Expansion, TP900, power are "special") modules:

Code: Select all

CPU     Memory  GFX     PCI     IO
Base IP Graphics and Compute Module     +       +       +       +       +
Base Compute Module                     +       +       o       +       +
IP Graphics and Compute Module          +       +       +       +       o/serial
Compute Module                          +       +       o       +       o/serial
MPX Module                              o?      +       o?      +       o/serial?
Tezro Workstation Expansion Enclosure   o       +       +       +       o/serial

The first four are obvious: these are the Compute Modules with or without installed V12 and with the IO9 serial daughter card or not. The first one (Base IP Graphics and Compute Module) is also identical to the base rackmount Tezro module, unless it's a 4x1 GHz Tezro, where it becomes just the "Base compute module". The last two are a bit more interesting.

The MPX module allows to add more memory and PCI cards. Now the questions are:
-Is this basically basically a compute module with a 0 CPU nodeboard (with memory connected via the Bedrock ASIC but without any CPUs)? I assume the Interface board is the same and so is the PCI Rise Card. There is probably no reason for it to contain a SCSI Backplane Board.
-If yes, can the MPX module be upgraded to a full compute module by replacing the IP53 nodeboard? They are still calling the MPX nodeboard the IP53 nodeboard.

The rackmount Tezro Workstation Expansion Enclosure is even more interesting:
-Since there were 2x2 CPU Tezros sold (with one 2 CPU IP35 nodeboard in each enclosure), is it possible to ugrade the Tezro to 2x4 (not 1 GHz) CPU boards?
-If not, is it a hardware or software limitation? Is it possible to hack the Tezro into a 2x4 CPU Onyx 350?
Last edited by GL1zdA on Mon May 16, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

recondas

Re: Origin 350/Onyx 350/Tezro Rackmount questions

Unread postby recondas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:29 pm

If we set aside the color of the fascia, the name badge attached, the prom splash screen and the part number of the VPro board there *isn't* any functional difference between any O350 chassis with internal V12 graphics.

If you have an an O350 chassis with V12 graphics installed, be it an Origin 350 server with the VPro hack, or a factory OEM Onyx350 350 IP/Tezro Rackmounted Workstation (RMWS) *and* an L2, you can transparently switch the machine type and PROM splash screen back and forth between an Onyx 350 InfinitePerformance and a Tezro Rackmounted Workstation.

Before anyone tries this and bricks their O350/Onyx350/Tezro RMWS I'll mention that the procedure CANNOT be done safely without an L2 controller:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16721235 There's an example of the potential mayhem that can result here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16719768&p=7311378&#p7311378

O350 compute modules are easier (and cheaper) to locate and acquire than factory original Onyx350 IPs or Tezro RMWS. There are a couple of different methods of installing VPro Graphics into an O350 compete module, this thread has the whole start to finish run down: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16719768 If you prefer a cut-to-the-chase summary of the process, the two most common methods are described in these posts:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16721099
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16725055#p7338648
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

xiri
Donor
Donor

Unread postby xiri » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:43 pm

GL1zda wrote:The MPX module allows to add more memory and PCI cards. Now the questions are:
-Is this basically basically a compute module with a 0 CPU nodeboard (with memory connected via the Bedrock ASIC but without any CPUs)? I assume the Interface board is the same and so is the PCI Rise Card. There is probably no reason for it to contain a SCSI Backplane Board.
-If yes, can the MPX module be upgraded to a full compute module by replacing the IP53 nodeboard? They are still calling the MPX nodeboard the IP53 nodeboard.

MPX bricks are indeed essentially Origin350 compute modules which have an ip53 that has no cpus. Since they have an ip53,
they connect through the numalink connector to the system providing memory and pci-x capacity.
They do not have the serial ports that the Origin350 base modules have.

PCI-X bricks are essentially Origin350 compute modules without an ip53. They do have plastic protectors on the 2 compression connectors
for the ip53. Since the pci-x brick lacks the ip53, it connects through the xio connector to the system providing pci-x capacity.

Both brick types can easily be converted to Origin350 compute modules by simply removing the plastic protectors and adding an ip53
with cpus/memory, I have already done this with a pci-x brick, it works like a charm.
Since neither mpx- or pci-x bricks are seen very often in the wild, I do not suppose they were ever on SGIs top ten bestseller list.
Attachments
mpx.png
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :O2: :O2+: :Octane: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x04R: :A3503L: :PrismDT: :Tezro:

mia

Unread postby mia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 pm

hello, the prob with rackmount tezro is the lack of cooling, so i'm not sure you'd want a 4x1ghz in there...
:Onyx2:

xiri
Donor
Donor

Unread postby xiri » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:12 pm

mia wrote:
hello, the prob with rackmount tezro is the lack of cooling, so i'm not sure you'd want a 4x1ghz in there...

I would not consider to have any 4cpu ip53 installed in either Onyx350 IP or rackmount tezro.
I have replaced the 4x800mhz ip53 with a 2x700mhz board in my Onyx350 IP after I found heat-related errors in the L1-log.
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :O2: :O2+: :Octane: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x04R: :A3503L: :PrismDT: :Tezro:

mia

Unread postby mia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:15 pm

yeah i think mine came with 1x700 later I added a 2x800 but It's a bit overkill
:Onyx2:

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 am

xiri wrote:
mia wrote:

I would not consider to have any 4cpu ip53 installed in either Onyx350 IP or rackmount tezro.
I have replaced the 4x800mhz ip53 with a 2x700mhz board in my Onyx350 IP after I found heat-related errors in the L1-log.

I have run a quad cpu rackmount for over a year with no issues. The problem with the temp logs is how hot the power supplies get when the system is off. I have no idea why this is but in the O350s the power supply creates a lot of heat when it is off. Then when you power on, you get temp warnings until the fans pull out the heat. On O350s that I am not running all the time I disconnect power with a switch box.

The quad 1Ghz rack Tezros are compute nodes only with no graphics cards and have additional fans at the rear of the CPU cage. Cooling is not an issue.

I think that people forget that rack mount equipment is designed to exist in a server environment with controlled temperature. Running these in an 80 degree office in just open air likely wont cut it.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”