Any experiences VGA/13W3 to HDMI/DVI converter?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Darkstar

Any experiences VGA/13W3 to HDMI/DVI converter?

Unread postby Darkstar » Sat May 24, 2014 5:37 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a future-proof way to connect my SGI (and other) workstations to a modern monitor. Instead of buying a SoG-capable monitor like the Dell one, I'd like to go with a VGA->HDMI or VGA->DVI converter.

Finding these converters (and especially finding out whether SoG is supported) is harder than I thought, so I wanted to ask you guys for advice :)

I found the Extron DVI-RGB 300, which costs about 200€ on eBay (is that cheap? expensive? No idea, as I have not found any regular shop that sells these), and as I read it, it should work perfectly (although it's slightly over my budget)

Then there's a lot of cheap(er) Linaro products on ebay, like this one, but there's absolutely no information available if it supports SoG or not.

So, are there any other similar products? Anyone ever used the Extron box?

-Darkstar
My former SGI collection, in chronological order (only here for the nostalgia since I had to give most of it away :cry:):
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane: :Indigo: :O2000: :O2: :O2: :Octane2:

Other systems from my collection:
IBM PReP 43P/120, HP 9000/712, DEC VAXstation 4000 model 60, HP Envizex II, DEC AlphaStation 200, Amiga 2000, HP NetServer LH4r, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Atari 512ST, Sun SPARCengine CP1500, Sun SPARCengine Ultra AXi

Nyebodnye

Re: Any experiences VGA/13W3 to HDMI/DVI converter?

Unread postby Nyebodnye » Sat May 24, 2014 5:42 pm

Why not just go 13W3 to VGA ? Surely the new ones still do VGA
ImageR14K 900Mhz, V12, 4Gb, 147Gb
ImageDual R14K 600Mhz, V12, 2Gb, 72Gb
ImageImageR12K 400Mhz, CRM-C, 1Gb, 72Gb, 1600SW card
Image R10K 195Mhz, Max Impact/2/2/4, 320Mb, 147Gb
Image HP XW6600 Dual Quad Core 3Ghz, GTX970, 16Gb, 500Gb SSD
Dell 1950 III Dual Quad Core 3Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x300Gb SAS mirrored
Dell 1950 III Dual Quad Core 3Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb SAS mirrored
Dell 2950 III Dual Quad Core 3Ghz, 64Gb RAM, 2x146Gb SAS mirrored, 2x2Tb SAS mirrored
Couple of ZX Spectrums :-) One with DISCiPLE Interface

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:47 pm

200€ will get a very nice monitor with a SOG-able VGA socket. Or two monitors that are at least serviceable. Or three used ones... etc. You will have more troubles keeping the SGI running in the future than you will feeding it a stream of SOG monitors. Get one with easily replaceable CCFL lamps, or LED, and even a cheap one can run for practically forever.

Unfortunately I do not have experience with those adapters but for the price they don't seem worth it.

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Sat May 24, 2014 8:32 pm

guardian452 wrote:Get one with easily replaceable CCFL lamps, or LED, and even a cheap one can run for practically forever.

Sorry to divert the thread, but -- where do I find out which models have easily replaceable CCFL lamps?

I've got a couple of Dell panels that have HD15, DVI, composite and S-video inputs - and I've been shocked at how many used panels I look at lack any form of composite video input. I could use one more, so while I'm looking it would be great if I could also check the CCFL angle...

Thanks,
--S.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:31 am

The really expensive ones, and a few older HPs. Depending on what qualifies as "easily"... and you have to get the new parts from somewhere.

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Sun May 25, 2014 1:35 pm

I agree, VGA capable monitors will be available for a while. Some of the cheap monitors are still VGA only-though I'm sure that will change to DVI or HDMI soon. Finding 4:3 monitors instead of wide monitors will be the problem first. The recycling centers around me are full of 1280x1024 17" and 19" monitors for really cheap---under $50. A better value than converting to DVI for now I think. In the future VGA/RGB to DVI/HDMI adapters will only be cheaper so I'd wait it out.

If you truly have a SoG only source, or composite sync only source I'd look at a used Extron 109. These are even available with 13W3 connectors - then you need BNC to VGA for your monitor, which is an easy to get cable.

Most or all of your SGI sources provide sync signals if you have a proper adapter so look into or build those first. You'll need the adapter anyway unless your converter accepts SOG and you plan to pull all the other pins.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 pm

smj wrote:
guardian452 wrote:Get one with easily replaceable CCFL lamps, or LED, and even a cheap one can run for practically forever.

Sorry to divert the thread, but -- where do I find out which models have easily replaceable CCFL lamps?

I've got a couple of Dell panels that have HD15, DVI, composite and S-video inputs - and I've been shocked at how many used panels I look at lack any form of composite video input. I could use one more, so while I'm looking it would be great if I could also check the CCFL angle...

Thanks,
--S.

In related news, I have a bug which has found it's way into my computer screen (cinema 20")... Like, in between the panel and backlight. Just crawling around on the backside of the screen. I guess a CRT wouldn't have this problem :lol: eventually it will die and fall to the bottom and problem solved, right?

Anyways, if the critter doesn't go away I'll let you know how opening 'er up goes ;) I have the manual and it doesn't seem too bad. Since it's at least 10 years old I'm surprised the CCFLs are still plenty bright enough for a sunlit room and decently white but maybe new lamps are on the horizon, anyways. (was thinking about a few more cinema displays and would want the backlights to match...)

It's no eizo/christie/barco, but for the price apple's screens are not half bad. I have no idea if it can do SOG...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun May 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Darkstar wrote: I'd like to go with a VGA->HDMI or VGA->DVI converter.

Finding these converters (and especially finding out whether SoG is supported) is harder than I thought

Analog to digital is actually kind of a bitch. The digital to analog "converters" seem to all depend on dvi-i (hope that's the right one) which is just an analog signal in a digital connector. Analog to digital doesn't have any cheap easy tricks :(

I found the Extron DVI-RGB 300, which costs about 200€ on eBay (is that cheap? expensive?

So, are there any other similar products? Anyone ever used the Extron box?

The previous answer to this was the dcd. That only works with Fuel, Octane, Tezro, etc.

Now there are other analog-to-digital converters, most of them no-name. What you have to watch with those is the max resolution. In general, 1600 x 1200 is the max. Many of the cheap ones only do 1280 x 1024. Only a few will do 1920 x 1200. That's probably why the Extron is expensive. That and the pretense that Extron is some kind of quality brand name.

Someone in China makes those for fifteen bucks, I am sure.

However, there's also Matrox2Go and Matrox3Go, which really looks like it has potential. They come with analog in and digital out or digital in and digital out, maybe even digital in and analog out. They have two-way and three-way output, like a cheap dcd. You can find them on fleabay for reasonably cheap. You can set them up to take a single 2560 x 1280 input, which they split into two 1280 x 1024 outputs, for example. If their settings are persistent (Windows setup utility only, as far as I know) then they might be a very nice low-cost dcd for SGI's. I asked Matrox but Raj had no idea.

There aren't any cheapies on taobao at the moment or I'd give it a try.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

Darkstar

Unread postby Darkstar » Wed May 28, 2014 3:27 pm

japes wrote:If you truly have a SoG only source, or composite sync only source I'd look at a used Extron 109. These are even available with 13W3 connectors - then you need BNC to VGA for your monitor, which is an easy to get cable.

I have one of these, but to be honest I'm not sure if it even works or not. I have not gotten any image out of any workstation (I tried a HP9000/712, SGI Indy and Octane) in combination with my flatscreen TFT, so I suspect it's somehow broken. It has a display and that shows that latches onto HSYNC just fine, but VSYNC is not showing anything stable (or was it the other way around? I'm not sure right now).

It might also be the cabling (I have a VGA one with a non-detachable HD15 cable on one end and BNC connectors on the other, so I have to use some wacky adapters and stuff) but I'm not very optimistic in getting it up and running anytime soon

-Darkstar
My former SGI collection, in chronological order (only here for the nostalgia since I had to give most of it away :cry:):
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane: :Indigo: :O2000: :O2: :O2: :Octane2:

Other systems from my collection:
IBM PReP 43P/120, HP 9000/712, DEC VAXstation 4000 model 60, HP Envizex II, DEC AlphaStation 200, Amiga 2000, HP NetServer LH4r, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Atari 512ST, Sun SPARCengine CP1500, Sun SPARCengine Ultra AXi

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm

The 13W3 version of the 109xi has a switch for IBM/SUN/SGI/SoG. Turns out I was mistaken too, the 13W3 version is a 112xi. If you're using adapters with a 109xi it's still on you to have the correct pinout.

Darkstar wrote:It might also be the cabling (I have a VGA one with a non-detachable HD15 cable on one end and BNC connectors on the other, so I have to use some wacky adapters and stuff) but I'm not very optimistic in getting it up and running anytime soon
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

vmul

Unread postby vmul » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:40 am

Can I bump this thread back to life for 2017 - I'm looking for a VGA-HDMI converter so I can tidy my desk up a bit and get my Octane talking to one of my main Dell displays, retiring the old VGA-supporting Samsung monitor I've been using to storage.

Anyone got and successfully using a cheaper box - eg. - and if so, any pointers would be great. Thanks!

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 am

I had some success with the ATEN VC160A VGA->DVI Converter : viewtopic.php?t=16731458

But I'd want phase fine tuning before I consider it a replacement for a monitor with analogue inputs. Every monitor has it, but not this device.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

vmul

Unread postby vmul » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 am

Interesting, thanks.

Saw this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-SGI-13w3-to-VGA-Cable-Adapter-with-H-V-Sync-Routing-/282546977046

.. is that by anyone on here, by any chance?

vmul

Unread postby vmul » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:30 am

I did some random purchasing, have had some success.

Tried one of the cheap VGA-HDMI boxes (£12 off Amazon - https://tinyurl.com/yaxj4gnn) .. didn't work. No signal at all. Not terribly surprising.

With one of the handmade cables from ebay above (£30 inc shipping), it suddenly comes to life! Have only very quickly tested it this morning ( was outputting 1280x1024@60 onto my Dell UP2716D ) but so far that's an improvement over nothing at all :)

michaelpastras

Unread postby michaelpastras » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 am

This is made by me.

You can definitely bump the resolution as high as you wish, supposing your monitor supports it.
Also, you will need the proper, relevant resolution profiles for your Graphics Board.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”