Choosing an External DVD or CDROM for Octane

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
HikoSeijero

Choosing an External DVD or CDROM for Octane

Unread postby HikoSeijero » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:40 am

Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired an Octane system with no hard drives and no external CDROM. I am planning on picking up a couple SCSI hard drives for it and I have been looking on ebay for a external SGI CDROM when I came across the following auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-External-DVD-and-Power-Supply-/321265758873?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item4accee7299

I will initially be using the drive to install IRIX from CD but wanted to see if there are any issues with booting the installation tools from one of these external DVD drives? Sorry if this question has already been asked before, I did do a quick search in the forms but didn't see anything but I could have easily missed it.
##############################################
:Octane: Octane Dual R10k 195Mhz, 768Mb, MXI (Miku)
:Tezro: Tezro 4xR16k 700Mhz, 8Gb, V12 (Miyuki)
:Onyx2: Onyx2 Deskside 4xR12k 300Mhz, 2Gb, IR2 (Isumi)
##############################################

canavan

Re: Choosing an External DVD or CDROM for Octane

Unread postby canavan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 pm

That thing should work, but you could probably get away with something much cheaper if all you want is to install from CD. Basically anything newer than a 4x CD drive should do. As an alternative to booting from CD, check the DINA appliance to install over the network.

ajw99uk

Unread postby ajw99uk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:00 am

canavan wrote:That thing should work, but you could probably get away with something much cheaper if all you want is to install from CD. Basically anything newer than a 4x CD drive should do.

but, to be bootable, only so long as it can do 512 byte sectors?
Fuel; Indigo2; Inspiron 531 WinXP/Win10/debian-buster; Inspiron 4100 debian-buster; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39; RPi B/256MB RISCOS5.23; RPi2 Raspbian-buster; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:00 pm

ajw99uk wrote:but, to be bootable, only so long as it can do 512 byte sectors?
The Toshiba SCSI DVD drives OEM'd by SGI will do 512-byte sectors, but *only* if a CD is loaded in the drive. Regardless of the jumper settings, if DVD is loaded the Toshiba SCSI DVD drive, the firmware switches to 2048-byte mode.

If you want the best of both worlds, use one of the Pioneer 304S or 305S SCSI DVD drives. 512-byte mode is jumper selected, so if you're ambitious enough you could create your own install DVD and skip all the CD swapping usually involved with an IRIX install.

The Pioneer units will also do audio-over-SCSI, another advantage over the Toshiba DVD units.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 am

Any Toshiba or Plextor SCSI CD-ROM will work on your SGI as well and be much cheaper. Not much, if any, software shipped on DVD-ROM, and if you have a DVD data disk you can always shoot it over the network.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Return to “SGI: Hardware”