SOLVED: OCTANE Fan recalibration fastfan whining noise pitch

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Geoman
Donor
Donor

SOLVED: OCTANE Fan recalibration fastfan whining noise pitch

Unread postby Geoman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 am

SOLVED: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16728392&p=7367434#p7367434

So here is the thing: My second Octane's fan had a bearing problem, so I bought a Delta WFB1212HE - new old stock with perfect bearing. This is a "full size" 120x120x38mm server-grade fan. I tested it using a 12 V testing power supply and it runs flawlessly - you only hear the 'wind' blowing. So I put it into the Cherokee-PSU and started the Octane and:

there is this terrible whining noise I heard back then, when I tried out a Kaze fan: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16718730&hilit=kaze

but this Delta fan is the real thing - it's heavy and has a huge engine with ball bearings - how can this be?

So I tried out

Code: Select all

nvram fastfan 1
to see what happens: On restart, the whining noise was completely gone, and after the relais clicks, the Octane ran on fastfan flawlessy.
After a while, it switched back to normal fan speed automatically. (what I never experienced until now)

The whining is gone, the fan is running great. So I guess it had to be calibrated somehow.

@Voralyan: perhaps this could be a solution for your high-pitch-noise-problem, too.
Last edited by Geoman on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

Voralyan

Re: OCTANE Fan recalibration fastfan whining noise high pitc

Unread postby Voralyan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:10 am

Most interesting. Will try it...
:A3502L: :O2000: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :320: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
+ | d | i | g | i | t | a | l | +apple +[...] ;)

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 am

well this fan died. Wasn't that new as I thought -- only "refurbished" ...

You don't notice it, if the PSU-fan fails, because the HDD-bay-fan is so loud. Fortunately I was near the Octane and feeled an unusual warmth that came out of the air-intakes.
So I powered it off and pulled both mainboard and MXI-board out of it - hell they got hot: you could barely touch the heatsinks. As for the recently installed TRAMs: that could have been their funeral.

Why isn't there any warning (both eventlog and buzzer) in case this damn thing fails? Imagine 1998: An Octane worth tenthousands of $ is scapped because a fan for around 30 $ failed........

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 am

Hmm, from you who've done it, is changing the drive fan enough to make the octane silent enough for polite company? I am somewhat interested in making it a bit quieter but loth to open the PSU. That and perhaps the xbow fan.
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:15 am

duck wrote:Hmm, from you who've done it, is changing the drive fan enough to make the octane silent enough for polite company? I am somewhat interested in making it a bit quieter but loth to open the PSU. That and perhaps the xbow fan.

You're right: the drive-fan is the main source for noise from the Octane. Though the PSU fan is the most important fan concerning cooling of the workstation.

So if you want a quiet Octane, I recommend to insert a resistor between fan connector and drive fan to reduce its RPM. I would not change the Panaflo-fan if it still is running smoothly, because this fan is really high quality.
Foto.JPG

BUT if you have more than one 10.000 RPM SCSI HDD + MXI/MXE installed, better leave it as it is, since the drive fan contributes to the cooling of the TRAMs.

Wait! Your signature make me believe you've got an "Octane1/Ochtane2" hybrid :-) so with Vpro I would give it a try.

Considering the PSU-fan: If the bearings are allright and no strange sound is coming from it, I'd stay with the Panaflo because this is again a high-quality fan. I had to change it, because the Panaflo in the Octane1 I recently got made strange clicking noises during operation and smelled like molten electronics.
My problem is now: to find another fan that is not whining while fastfan=0. Besides from the Panaflo, only the Papst Multifan 4312 M so far does well inside Octane's PSU. Perhaps I have to look for the 120 x 120 x 38 mm version of that Papst-fan.

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:28 am

Thanks, Geoman, that sounds like execellent advice. The Panaflo fans I've come across (such as the stock fan on my alpha) were all excellent quality as well as the funky fluid wave bearing type ones, and I guess it makes sense to keep it if possible. A nice little project for the upcoming vacation time... :-)
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack

Neo

Unread postby Neo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Not sure if you get these in Germany, but I have just replaced it the PS fan with this:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1454992&CatId=802. Not even remotely as loud as any of the fans I had in there before (Panaflo, Delta etc.) I also had Maya, XMMS and mplayer open and running at the same time. No turbine sounds. I swapped pins around as required by the Cherokee.

I am going to change the HD cage fan to this next, http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1148926&CatId=806. I will post back.
Have:
:Indy: :Indy: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Lenovo Thinkstation D10
Want:
:Fuel:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Plus you get the added benefit of the machine running faster because of all the bright red and orange fan blades! That plus the Jeremy Clarkson sticker, you've got at least an extra 50MHz worth of CPU speed... :lol:

(I was unaware of those stickers, and am now ordering one for a LeMons race car I'm affiliated with...)
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

Neo

Unread postby Neo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 pm

smj wrote:Plus you get the added benefit of the machine running faster because of all the bright red and orange fan blades! That plus the Jeremy Clarkson sticker, you've got at least an extra 50MHz worth of CPU speed... :lol:

(I was unaware of those stickers, and am now ordering one for a LeMons race car I'm affiliated with...)

Were it so easy...to get another 50MHz... ;) The store only had the Orange ones in stock and I didn't bother asking for any other color...and both fans can't be seen from the front anyway... :lol: And the Jeremy Clarkson sticker was reproduced by a local guy here in TO (VW club). I like the "LeMons"!!!
Have:
:Indy: :Indy: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Lenovo Thinkstation D10
Want:
:Fuel:

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 am

So I found the time to test the resistor as depicted above for the Panaflo harddrive fan: It's a real difference! Now I can use the Octane without deafening myself. I can really recommend it to you VPRO-Owners out there.

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 am

Am I reading it right that you're using a 10k resistor? I'm not very at home with electronics :-P Also, is this the original cable? I was considering just using a short extension cable to insert the resistor so reduce potential breakage.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 am

Looks like they are can also be had ready made: http://www.quietpc.com/rc100 There are several different voltage reductions offered.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 am

duck wrote:Am I reading it right that you're using a 10k resistor? I'm not very at home with electronics :-P Also, is this the original cable? I was considering just using a short extension cable to insert the resistor so reduce potential breakage.

Eh sorry - this photograph is bad, my fault!

It reads from right --> left: GREEN, BLUE, BLACK, GOLD which is 56 Ohms.
I found this thing pictured above somwhere in my stuff, it came with a Zalman-fan, which I wanted to replace the Panaflo.
-- I threw this idea away, becaus the Panaflo is much better.

So the Panaflo in the drivebay including its cable and connector is intact - I did not change anything to be able to revert the Octane2 to 'factory state'.

I simply inserted this construction you see in the picture between 'fan assembly' and the PCB from SGI. -- works seamlessly.

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 am

Geoman wrote:
duck wrote:Am I reading it right that you're using a 10k resistor? I'm not very at home with electronics :-P Also, is this the original cable? I was considering just using a short extension cable to insert the resistor so reduce potential breakage.

Eh sorry - this photograph is bad, my fault!

It reads from right --> left: GREEN, BLUE, BLACK, GOLD which is 56 Ohms.

Ah, thanks. I wonder about the power dissipation requirements too, if the fan takes something like .2-.4A it'll need to dissipate 3-5W I think, which is quite a lot for a random resistor... Ach. It would be good if I knew what I was doing :-)

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 am

This is exactly the thing, Recondas! Well found!!

Duck, perhaps they still sell those in Europe, too. I got mine on Caseking, it belonged to a Zalman fan.
Last edited by Geoman on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”