Shortly to be the proud owner of a Fuel

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Re: Shortly to be the proud owner of a Fuel

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue May 28, 2013 6:28 pm

There *is* no ioconfig.conf, it has no hard disk :) I did a quick glance at the mo'bo' to see any obvious differences, but nothing jumped out. I can't find anything about Fuel hardware revisions otherwise -- maybe jan-jaap of the blue Fuel knows. :) I'll have to rig a serial port to talk to both the L1s when I have some time. Might be a good time to drag one of the serial terminals out, just as an excuse to dust them off.

But yeah, I've been stupidly lucky with Fuels and Fuel parts. For an outlay of around $600, I have now a very pimped 700MHz Fuel with lots of hardware and decent RAM, a nearly perfect case, and a full set of replacement parts. I'd rather be lucky than good!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue May 28, 2013 6:29 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:There *is* no ioconfig.conf, it has no hard disk :)

Ah ! That might have some bearing as well. Maybe it needs one :D
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed May 29, 2013 12:19 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:There *is* no ioconfig.conf, it has no hard disk :) I did a quick glance at the mo'bo' to see any obvious differences, but nothing jumped out. I can't find anything about Fuel hardware revisions otherwise -- maybe jan-jaap of the blue Fuel knows. :) I'll have to rig a serial port to talk to both the L1s when I have some time. Might be a good time to drag one of the serial terminals out, just as an excuse to dust them off.

The Fuel is just like any other Fuel except for the color of the case and the stickers on the back. It had a rather early L1 version when I got it. Back then I used it with a regular PS/2 keyboard & mouse. These days it has the last L1 and it is connected to a Belkin SOHO USB-DVI KVM. Works as well as the other (PC) hardware attached to the KVM.

If you decide to upgrade the L1, beware that you may not be able to go from any old version to the last: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16721376
If you do this anyway the Fuel may forget what type of O3K class hardware it is and greet you with this gemm: "ERROR: no power supplies available" when you press the power button :shock:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed May 29, 2013 6:28 am

Hmm. Makes sense the L1 might be the culprit, but I'll worry about that if I have to put this spare in service. I've got some intermediate IRIX overlay discs, so I should be able to get the intermediate L1 versions flashed if it becomes necessary before going to 6.5.30.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Return to “SGI: Hardware”