Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:44 am 

ATAPI or DVD or CD drives connected to the ATAPI controller on an IO9 may not function correctly unless configured as the master device.

The system PROM and IRIX will indicate whether the optical drive is set as master or slave with the unit number assigned. Devices that appear as "unit 0" are set as master:
Code:
Integral SCSI controller 2: Version IDE (ATA/ATAPI) IOC4
  CDROM: unit 0 on SCSI controller 2
those that appear as "unit 1" are configured as a slave:
Code:
Integral SCSI controller 2: Version IDE (ATA/ATAPI) IOC4
  CDROM: unit 1 on SCSI controller 2
The Origin350, Onyx350, Onyx4 (and other O350 based systems with an IO9) use slimline DVD-ROM drives, typically Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8177-B or SR-8178-B 8x/24x drives. Slimline optical drives usually have a JAE connector interface, those used by SGI included a JAE-to-ATAPI adapter.

Slimline drives do not usually include a jumper to configure the device as master or slave. Depending on the manufacturer of the slimline drive, this is usually provided for in firmware and/or by the attachment interface (cable select).

I recently added a DVD-ROM to an O350. That particular O350 had an IO9, the SGI-labeled 40-pin ATAPI cable (P/N 018-1148-002 REV B) and four-pin power connector, but was missing the DVD-ROM drive and original JAE adapter.

I acquired a generic Panasonic SR-8178-B with a JAE adapter attached and installed the drive. The Matshita/Panasonic label on that SR-8178-B is nearly identical to those on SGI-supplied SR-8178-B drives, and the drive had firmware revision PZ16 which can be found in other O350 hinvs in the forums. The firmware revision description on the label included the notation "H/W=01", something not found on the SGI OEM SR-8178-B (I now speculate that the "01" might be an indication that the drive was set as unit 1/slave in firmware).

Unfortunately, when installed, the newly acquired SR-8178-B appeared as a slave device (unit 1). The drive would happily appear in a hinv run at the PROM or from within IRIX, and a PROM invoked installation would automatically populate the path to the slave drive (Local CD-ROM drive 1, on controller 2). In spite of those encouraging signs, when asked to load the Installation Tools CD that was present in the drive the PROM install would deny there was a drive connected ("no such device"), and the drive would generate errors when attempts were made to access the drive under IRIX.
Code:
System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option? 2

Installing System Software...
                       Press <Esc> to return to the menu.

1) Remote Directory  2)[Local CD-ROM] 
      *a) Local SCSI CD-ROM drive 1, on controller 2
Enter 1-2 to select source type, a to select the source, <esc> to quit,
or <enter> to start: 2

Insert the installation CD-ROM, then press <enter>:

Unable to open "dksc(0,1,0)": no such device

Thinking the cable select feature might be implimented by the JAE adapter, I tried several other JAE adapters, including one with a master/slave jumper (Intel p/n Intel C74968-302) and another identical to the JAE adapter used by SGI in other O350s (located by matching the markings screened on SGI's OEM adapter: "JMRER1.PCB"). None of the JAE adapters made any difference, the drive continued to identify itself as a slave (it also appeared as a slave when connected to the SGI-provided JAE adapter and IDE cable in another O350).

A visit to the local recycling center turned up another SR-8178-B. Based on the part number (26K5392) this DVD-ROM was originally used in an IBM xSeries server. Unfortunately it also appeared as a slave device (unit 1) to the PROM and IRIX.

I found a number of posts on the internet that described how to modify a slimline optical drive to become master. Those suggested opening the drive and connecting pins 45 and 47 on the PCB side of the JAE connector. After some practice at delivering a very small blob of solder (the tiny pins on that connector are very closely spaced), I performed the modification (on the first SR-8178-B).

After the solder modification the drive appeared as the master device on the ATAPI bus (unit 0), and I was able to successfully boot an IRIX Installation and Overlays CD:
Code:
System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option? 2

Installing System Software...
                       Press <Esc> to return to the menu.
1) Remote Directory  2)[Local CD-ROM] 
      *a) Local SCSI CD-ROM drive 0, on controller 2

Enter 1-2 to select source type, a to select the source, <esc> to quit,
or <enter> to start: 2

Insert the installation CD-ROM, then press <enter>:

Copying installation program to disk.
......... 10% ......... 20% ......... 30% ......... 40% ......... 50%

......... 60% ......... 70% ......... 80% ......... 90% ......... 100%

Copy complete

As long as the drive is configured as master, it may be possible to replace the an O350's original DVD-ROM with a slimline ATAPI DVD-RW. Several years ago I unsuccessfully tried a DVD/CDRW combo drive in an O350, but at the time didn't note the significance of the unit number assigned to the DVD/CDRW drive (the cdrecord session in that post clearly identifies the DVD/CDRW I used as a slave/unit 1). hamei temporarily attached a full-sized ATAPI DVD-RW drive jumpered as master to the ATAPI bus in his O350, and was able access the drive without generating errors, so a DVD-RW (set as master) looks promising. I'll test this further as soon as I acquire a slimline DVD-RW.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:09 am 

Quote:
Unfortunately, when installed, the newly acquired SR-8178-B appeared as a slave device (unit 1). While it would show up in a hinv run at the PROM or from within IRIX, it was not was accessable from the PROM installation tool ("Unable to open "dksc(0,1,0)": no such device") and would generate time out errors when heavily accessed under IRIX.

Do you think this is down to the absence of a master device? Will any master-less slave device show problems, or has ATAPI handled this better than old IDE/ATA, when some drive combinations would work as master/slave but not as slave/master and some HDDs did not like being a slave device at all? But even if this theory were right, I suspect (although not familiar with the innards of an O350) the hassle of trying to rig up a master drive just to keep the slave happier is probably less than the fix you describe to turn a slave into a master!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:10 am 

My understanding is that the ATA terms "master" and "slave" do not really mean one drive is in control of the other. They are just device addresses on the bus, like "0" and "1". The terms were inherited from older interfaces (like ST506) where the interface card had a separate "master" and "slave" control cable for the first and second drive.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:44 am 

ajw99uk wrote:
Do you think this is down to the absence of a master device? Will any master-less slave device show problems, or has ATAPI handled this better than old IDE/ATA, when some drive combinations would work as master/slave but not as slave/master and some HDDs did not like being a slave device at all? But even if this theory were right, I suspect (although not familiar with the innards of an O350) the hassle of trying to rig up a master drive just to keep the slave happier is probably less than the fix you describe to turn a slave into a master!
The Origin 350 (and derivatives) are 2U-sized rack -mount units, with fairly limited internal space, so the O350 was designed to hold only a single IDE/ATAPI device in the slimline drive bay.

While the slimline sized bay was the only one intended for use with a IDE or ATAPI device, in theory it might be possible to replace the single drop IDE/ATAPI cable with one that allows connection of two drives, remove the SCSI/SCA backplane, and install an IDE drive in one of the two hard drive slots. The second hard drive slot could still hold a 68-pin SCSI boot drive, connected to the IO9 with a 68-to-68 pin SCSI cable. Not real practical, but it would be interesting to see if the PROM or IRIX would recognize an attached IDE hard drive.

robespierre wrote:
My understanding is that the ATA terms "master" and "slave" do not really mean one drive is in control of the other. They are just device addresses on the bus, like "0" and "1". The terms were inherited from older interfaces (like ST506) where the interface card had a separate "master" and "slave" control cable for the first and second drive.
This was a learn-as-you-go experience for me, so I won't claim any particularly insightful knowledge into the historical workings of the ATAPI interface.

What I have learned, and what I wanted to share with anyone else who ends up in a similar situation (especially since it doesn't seem to documented anywhere else), is that an optical drive attached to the IO9 in an O350 should be configured as master/unit 0 to serve as a boot-install device or function reliably under IRIX.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 am 

Thanks recondas, these kinds of guides to hard-won knowledge are invaluable! Now I just have to find an O350...