wacom unix kit mistery

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
rvic

wacom unix kit mistery

Unread postby rvic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

well If i want to connect a wacom tablet to O2 should i have an adapter db-9 to db-9?
it seems that wacom was selling this unix kit exactly for this purpose ...
I checked and research and i can't find any differences between a standard pc serial db-9 (rs-232) pinout and a Sgi O2 serial db-9 pinout .
Am i missing something?

Wacom have even this product "STJ-A154" :
"This is a short cable of 20cm with a Sub-D 9M serial plug at both ends. You need this to connect your serial tablet to an SGI system."

I searched here on nekochan forums but nobody said anything about that ...
And are required even for intuos intuos2 series.

Is the power inserted in serial connector a problem for sgi machines ?
Maybe someone knows or can check if this cable is a must for connecting wacom serial tablets to sgi's.

canavan

Re: wacom unix kit mistery

Unread postby canavan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 pm

No adapter needed - the Unix kit was sold back when the unix drives were not free. Nowadays, just grab whatever driver components you need from ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/irix/Drivers/tablet/

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:32 pm

The Wacom serial tablets have a single DE-9 connector for both communication and power. I've seen two different cables used, to connect the tablet to IBM-style serial (DE-9) and Mac-style serial (MiniDIN-8). Both are Y-cables with a pigtail that accepts a DC power lead. Various SGI workstations should work with either cable, depending on their serial port style.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

rvic

Unread postby rvic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm

http://www.tablet4u.nl/product/en/9m9m- ... blets.html
this is the link with that cable and it is labeled on the connectors .. one for wacom the other for the sgi
product code: STJ-A154
Thanks for the answers.
Now that i looked carefully at the picture it seem that the connectors are both male ...
so .. tu sum up ... maybe there are sgi's with a female connector ???
i don't know
cause o2 has a male connector ... :) that's certain
I thought that they changed some pins in the serial because sgi's can't handle the 12v 200mA DC on the serial ...
now it's clear ... thank you

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Older systems (like POWER Series, Crimson, Personal Iris, Onyx) used female serial ports with a different pinout. I guess the A154 cable is for rearranging the signals for that (at the time it was produced it may have been the only serial port pinout on SGI computers!)

There were also several different ways of providing power to serial devices. Wacom may not have made cables for them, but e.g. StereoGraphics had cables for all of them.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”