Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:25 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of disassembling Octane chassis, and no, I don't mean unscrewing everything and taking the skins off,
I mean:

Removing all the rivets and disassembling it to bare metal, piece by piece - this way I could transport it easily in a suitcase (whole chassis is too much hassle and the shipping cost is a lot more than its worth, of course provided I have space in my suitcase).

Has anybody tried that (yet?)?

I took a brief look and it doesn't seem very difficult, just need a correct size/type of rivets and a rivet gun at the target location....

But I have no experience removing rivets - should I drill them inside until thin and then crack, or just try cracking? - I doubt any cutter would do here since many of them may be difficult to access.

Cheers

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 pm 

Sssh... You must never ever consult the wiki... for in there you will find nuggets like...

YouTube Dismantling an Octane part 1
YouTube Dismantling an Octane part 2
YouTube Dismantling an Octane part 3

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/SGI_Octane#External_links

And other things..

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:54 pm 

I saw those videos, but this disassembly is NOT as complete as I want to do,
I want to take the chassis apart - to the raw materials, I expect to be able to remove all the rivets, put the metal apart and throw it all in the flat pizza box...

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:17 am 

You are better off getting a bigger suitcase. The octane was put together by tetris masters and breaking down the chassis won't save you a lot of volume. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair bit of bent metal and welds in there too, so your efforts would ultimately be fruitless, this isn't something people do normally. :) If it is really such a problem you may have to sell or give away the chassis and other low-dollar items like the psu and mainboard and buy replacements at the destination.

still, I find the easiest way to remove rivets is to simply drill them out with the proper bit.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm 

kubatyszko wrote:
I'm thinking of disassembling Octane chassis, and no, I don't mean unscrewing everything and taking the skins off,
I mean:

Removing all the rivets and disassembling it to bare metal, piece by piece - this way I could transport it easily in a suitcase (whole chassis is too much hassle and the shipping cost is a lot more than its worth, of course provided I have space in my suitcase).

Has anybody tried that (yet?)?

Probably not quite what you had in mind, but at least one has been stripped of most of the sheet metal bits. The photos are from the Octane/Octane2 Album nekochan Gallery > SGI Hardware > the Octane/Octane2 Album - look in the sub-album labeled Octane.

It's been a while, but as I (vaguely) recall they were posted by whiter, and I believe he had it running in the condition shown in the photos:

Attachments:
octanecube0.jpg
octanecube0.jpg [ 35.36 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]
octanecube1.jpg
octanecube1.jpg [ 32.96 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]
octanecube2.jpg
octanecube2.jpg [ 43.46 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm 

Thanks recondas, this is kind of opposite from what I need to do - but useful in case I couldn't reassemble the chassis back :).

I took another look into the chassis, and it doesn't seem to have any welds, and the bent pieces of metal seem to be rather small (1 cm just for rivets to contact),
I WILL give this a try sometime, once I find a proper drill - I don't think my tiny dremel would win against Octane.

Cheers