Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm 

Hello,

I currently have an SGI Octane 2 with a single R12000 400MHz CPU. I may be able to purchase an octane 2 board with dual R14000 600MHz CPUs... Will I run into any issues trying to upgrade or is it as easy as sliding in the new CPU module?

Thank you,

Robert

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:51 pm 

millhouse513 wrote:
Will I run into any issues trying to upgrade or is it as easy as sliding in the new CPU module?
I haven't managed to acquire a dual 600 to test this, but it seems like you shouldn't expect a problem according to this snippet from the Octane wiki page:
Nekowiki wrote:
Single-CPU Octanes and Octane2's can be upgraded to dual-CPU models by replacing the complete CPU module. Again, the official statements are that certain mainboards are required for certain CPU modules but this doesn't appear to generally hold up in the real world. Perhaps the SGI stated requirements came from early revisions of the relevant parts but no one in the hobbyist or reseller communities has yet reported a case where the official requirements were accurate.
Since you're starting with a fairly late model of Octane, you should be even less likely to run into a problem.

I'm sure somebody lucky enough to have done this upgrade will chime in soon. ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 pm 

Single -> dual is a drop-in upgrade. Just make sure you're careful to keep from bending pins and you should be fine.

Changing a major version of the processor is when you need to check PROM and IRIX versions to ensure support.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 am 

SAQ wrote:
Changing a major version of the processor is when you need to check PROM and IRIX versions to ensure support.
I believe I ran into this - I couldn't boot IRIX after upgrading from a dual R10k to a dual R12k in the same chassis/system board. Does the same hold true going from the R12k to the R14k?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:49 pm 

There shouldn't be an issue like you get with Indy going to R5k or Indigo2 going to R10k where you need to install different software (MIPS4-IP22 vs MIPS3-IP22 or IP22 vs IP28), but you do need to make sure that your PROM and IRIX revisions are ones that support the processor. If you have 6.5.22 and the PROM that came with it then you shouldn't have a problem with any Octane processor upgrades.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)