3D printing SGI skins?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
zahal

3D printing SGI skins?

Unread postby zahal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Recently broke the plastic speaker holder thingie from a O2.
The thing just snapped like a twig and I was reminded of how cheap and fragile the SGI skins are.
3D printers are poised to become the next big thing and have been touted to be just around the corner from being on everyone and their moms desk for several years now. However, global financial collapse will probably happen before 3D printers are being sold on BestBuy.
Which leaves the option of having someone else 3D print those SGI skins.
The black base on the O2 would definitely have to be made out of this: http://i.materialise.com/materials/titanium
While the blue/purple (or flower power) moosehead could be either a resin or http://i.materialise.com/materials/alumide

So now the question arises as to how to obtain a 3D model. I'm sure an IOS app could be made to handle that task using the IOS device's camera. Anyone have any other ideas?

I would certainly prefer to have the skins made out of sterling silver or gold. Someday...someday.

Edit: right after posting this I searched and sure enough there is a free 3D printing app. Seems like it has very basic functions. Probably not up to the task of obtaining the O2 skins....
There is another commercial app which seems to have more advanced options. Hmmm...
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - HP Z400 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX

dclough

Re: 3D printing SGI skins?

Unread postby dclough » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Mobile app and a camera would be a terrible judge of scale, depth, contours and other very important features.

More likely, someone with a lot of time and dedication could map out a wireframe with every detail, hole, and mounting bracket.

I for one would like to see somebody make a metallic cast of the O2 skins. Then it could be powdercoated any color the owner desired, and would give the O2 that solid, well-built feeling that it so lacks with the cheap plastic. And "good luck" to UPS trying to shatter one of those bad boys!

zahal

Unread postby zahal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Specialized 3D scanners seem to combine both laser and cameras.
http://www.zcorp.com/en/Products/3D-Sca ... spage.aspx
Maybe one could use a barcode scanner and a digital camera to obtain the 3D model.

Edit: there's quite a number of documented "home made 3d scanners".
Here's one of them: http://www.muellerr.ch/engineering/lase ... orial.html
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - HP Z400 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 pm

the most practical approach would be to use a Microscribe or something similar to capture the contours. it's important to note that for this type of application, more than merely the shape is needed, but the absolute scale as well.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm

O2 Demos has the O2 model , and I would say it's pretty accurate, just need to work out the scale, and the file format...
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16730291&p=7386863#p7386400
(now ships from USA)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 pm

better to make a mould and cast a new skin from that, like sgifanatic's indigo reborn project.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16724795&start=31

you can order a home 3d printer for about 1200 or so now but the use seems very limited to me, it seems there are better ways (moulds, fibreglass, pepakura, sculpting, etc) than direct 3d-printing for all but a few niche objects.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:12 am

kubatyszko wrote:O2 Demos has the O2 model , and I would say it's pretty accurate, just need to work out the scale, and the file format...

I'm pretty sure there is an Inventor model floating around somewhere, which was taken from the Pro/ E model that they made the O2 with. That would be accurate enough. There are service bureaus that will do 3d models; the most common method is called stereolithography, done with light-cured resin ($100 a gallon fifteen years ago) cured in thin layers. There is also a method called LOM, which is sheets of paper cut with a laser and glued together to make a kind of plywood. And a version that deposits metal in thin layers, as a kind of sintered metal.

All of them are expensive, though. If I were to make O2 skins, I'd either weld up some aluminum plate to make the basic form, then use a three-axis tracer mill to do a direct copy. Or make it in four pieces, then weld them at the corners and finish grind. Or pull a fiberglass mold off an original, then do a WEST system laminated wood skin -- that would look pretty cool and be light weight, too. Or you could make a wooden buck and hammer aluminum sheet over it, welded at the corners. That's how they make aluminum tanks for race bikes, works pretty well, looks nice and it's not expensive if you do the work yourself .... Lots of ways but for an individual, the 3d computer model / rapid prototyping (that's the official name for all these processes) method would be too expensive. Doing what sgifanatic did would not work with a real O2 because of shrinkage, although you could make wooden patterns pretty cheap if you wanted cast aluminum skins.

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 am

I would kill to see carbon fiber skin on mine :P

O2 should not be difficult to make, the top is fitted with just 2 screws, and there are no latches etc afair.
the black base may be slightly more difficult since it latches to the metal chassis but it's also pretty simple.

Cheers
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16730291&p=7386863#p7386400
(now ships from USA)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 am

I would kill to see carbon fiber skin on mine
been there, done that.. parts of the halo hayabusa helmet I made are cf... also have cf shinpads and most of the rustler's suspension is cf. the procedure is nearly identical to glass fibre, but you have to put a lot of work into the clear to get it looking good (i.e. the inside of my helmet looks like crap, the rustler looks like plastic... those pads are really good looking but I also didn't make them myself :P off-the-shelf stuff)

it would be super easy to lay up the weave over the plastic if that's all you want. I would use a vacuum to hold it in place while the resin cures, but you might get away with the water baggie method if you are creative enough. the fan grille bit would be really tricky...
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”