Octane Debugging

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Fleeno

Octane Debugging

Unread postby Fleeno » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 pm

I recently got a green Octane and am trying to get it running. On power on, the fans seem to spin fine, and the red light comes on.

However, a few times it did boot to the login screen. I thought everything was good, so I removed the drive and popped it into my O2 to reset the password, booted fine, then repeated as I needed to change something else, and now it won't boot at all.

I didn't have a proper null serial cable, but I just got one and tried to boot without the keyboard attached. It said bank 1, DIMM S3 was bad or missing, so I pulled it and reseated it, but now I get nothing at all on the serial output, and still a red light.

I had noticed earlier that if I removed the graphics card (SI), the system drive would spin up, but with it in place it does not. With my new null cable attached, no keyboard, and graphics removed, the diagnostics work and complain about the keyboard, as expected.

Am I looking at a bad graphics card, or is there anything else I might check first?

Here's the diagnostic output:

SGI Version 6.5 IP30 IDE field Jan 5, 2001

System: IP30
Processor: 250 Mhz R10000, with FPU
Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes
Memory size: 512 Mbytes
Network: ef0 ethernet (100/10 base-T)
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
Audio: RAD Audio Processor

Field included scripts (help_ide to get this again):
ALL: regular_tests
extended_tests
FRUs: ip30 frontplane memory
pm (processor module)
gfx tmezz
subsystems: serial (loopback) ethernet (loopback)
useful scripts: help_ide help_mem

This test takes approximately 12 minutes on a good
dual processor machine with 128MB memory and MXI graphics.

\
No graphics boards detected
TEST RESULTS:
Processor Module tests completed.
Memory tests completed.
Frontplane tests completed.
CPU tests completed.
Audio tests completed.
SCSI tests completed.
Diagnostics completed - press <Enter> to continue

Thanks!

tooR

Re: Octane Debugging

Unread postby tooR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:19 am

Hello

First pulish and clean the conector Graphic card, include internal conector into the Octane, alcool isopropilic 100% and not push hard.

If not work, the Graphic card is dead.

Marino
tooR

Sgi Fuel, 4GB Ram, R16000 700 MHZ, 73 GB HD 15k, V10 Graphic, fiber.
Sgi Tezro 120GB SSD SCSI, Quad 700Mhz 8MB cache, 8 GB Ram, DVD-Rw, V12 Graphic, fiber.
Sgi Indigo2, R12000 200Mhz, 768MB Ram, 73GB HD, High Impact, Ethernet 100 Base-T.
HD External Raid 500GB FW.
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 8GB Ram. SSD 256GB.
Macintosh Quadra 700, 68k 33Mhz, 64MB Ram, Video Card 4MB 24bit, HD 9GB.
Amiga One, G4 833 Mhz, 1 GB Ram, HD Raptor 80GB.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:33 am

I would advice extreme caution when doing anything with the compression connectors. They are fragile and can flex/bend or get dirty easily. I remember that only a can of compressed air can be used to remove specks and hairs from those connectors and nothing else so please use caution...

Check if the main logic board is okay, if the cooling blocks stick properly to the ASICs and make sure nothing is dislodged from the board, like ram sticks or the NIC
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:

Fleeno

Unread postby Fleeno » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I agree, and so far am just following the Octane User's Guide recommendations of only using air. My connectors do look very clean.

I believe the main board is okay, because as shown above it does seem to pass the diagnostics, which only seem to work if the graphics card is removed.

One note I neglected to mention is that the monitor does come out of power save when I turn on the Octane, so there is at least something going on with the graphics card. It also appears connected via the front panel lights.

These lower end graphics cards are on eBay for not too much, so I might attempt a more dangerous cleaning method on the card's connector first, then just buy another if that doesn't work.

ivelegacy

Unread postby ivelegacy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:37 pm

dexter1 wrote:compressed air can be used to remove specks and hairs from those connectors

this tip successfully saved my Mgras GFX
that had failed the diagnostic check :D
"Be Wild" (TV program) by Fiammetta Cicogna spins me right round right round, like a record, right round round

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:31 am

Compression connectors are made of palladium dendrites
Flammable solvents will react on palladium in the presence of oxygen, which can cause ignition or tarnish the palladium
You don't want this to happen
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

tooR

Unread postby tooR » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:01 pm

I haved same problem in my old Octane 2, i clean internal and external conector alcool isorppilic 100% and full work but work air high flow good think.

Happy you resolve, one more SGI survive.

Thanks
tooR

Sgi Fuel, 4GB Ram, R16000 700 MHZ, 73 GB HD 15k, V10 Graphic, fiber.
Sgi Tezro 120GB SSD SCSI, Quad 700Mhz 8MB cache, 8 GB Ram, DVD-Rw, V12 Graphic, fiber.
Sgi Indigo2, R12000 200Mhz, 768MB Ram, 73GB HD, High Impact, Ethernet 100 Base-T.
HD External Raid 500GB FW.
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 8GB Ram. SSD 256GB.
Macintosh Quadra 700, 68k 33Mhz, 64MB Ram, Video Card 4MB 24bit, HD 9GB.
Amiga One, G4 833 Mhz, 1 GB Ram, HD Raptor 80GB.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”