Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Origin 2000 POK FAIL
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 am 

This morning the Origin2K decided to shut down with POK FAIL on the MSC, I noticed the fan hi-speed indicator led was lit along with all the red fault lights on both routers. Turned the MSC key to standby and flipped the breaker in the back off , waited a while, then back on. Turned the key on to power the system up and it immediately went to high fans. After a few seconds the system shut down, both the fan hi-speed and ambient over-temp led's are lit but no message on the MSC and no fault lights on the routers. I know the O2K Deskside Owners Guide says POK FAIL is a power OK failure that occurred on an unidentified board. So what does that mean? It also stated that an MSC shutdown can be caused by failure of system fans, critical fans, or unacceptably high ambient temperature. The temperature in the computer room usually ranges from 66° to 69° and I checked the fan tray, all are working. Where are the other "critical" fans located and could it be another problem causing this? The system doesn't stay up long enough to get console messages.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

Post subject: Re: Origin 2000 POK FAIL
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am 

I'm still new to the Onyx2/O2K world, but in general systems usage power OK failure means that a voltage was measured too low (probably from a faulty regulator or a short circuit), and the system is shutting itself down to protect itself and the power supply.

I would remove your boards one-by-one, and try powering up each time. Even though it won't be a usable system in these intermediate configurations, it would help you figure out which board is the culprit. If it won't power up ev en without any boards, then the power supply itself has failed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm 

Got the system back up, spent the day taking it all apart and cleaning everything. I don't know if that did it or not because it was not really dirty, but put it all back together and it fired right up with no problems. Still perplexed :)

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:04 am 

kshuff wrote:
Got the system back up, spent the day taking it all apart and cleaning everything. I don't know if that did it or not because it was not really dirty, but put it all back together and it fired right up with no problems. Still perplexed :)

Always nice when it works out like that! Hopefully something had just worked its way loose.