Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 am 

I have a broken SGI Indigo I'd like to fix, but I have no idea where to start.

The most obvious problem is that shortly after power on - two seconds, maybe three - a noise starts coming from the internal speaker. The sound becomes louder and louder with every second. No startup chime, no output on serial console.

My initial thought was a broken power supply, but a PSU repair guy I've found claims that power supply is ok and voltages are correct and clean. He also claims that he tried to bend the "mainboard" - probably the CPU board - slightly and this sometimes leads to the startup chime.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :-)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm 

I don't really have a suggestion what can be wrong - but I would be interested in anything you find out. My Indigo R3000's speaker stopped working (no chime at boot-up) after i replaced the TOD battery. A little later the PSU shorted out, check the thread under "getting started" for details.
Having to bend the board suggests that there is something wrong with the attachment to the backplane?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:03 am 

trasz wrote:
... a PSU repair guy I've found claims that power supply is ok and voltages are correct and clean. He also claims that he tried to bend the "mainboard" - probably the CPU board - slightly and this sometimes leads to the startup chime.

I'm out of my depths here, but my reaction is A) don't bend the boards while powered; B) if the board he's bending is fitted to a backplane slot, it isn't seating well, try cleaning the fingers (if relevant) and re-seating; C) if it was more like an Indy or Indigo2 mainboard, I'd want to carefully examine the solder joints of the through-hole pins on any connectors like power, backplane, etc. The close to the point of flexing, the more closely I'd examine them. But I humbly defer to somebody with relevant training in these matters.