Second octane! Woo hoo! Xio Nightmare Booh!

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
karahana

Second octane! Woo hoo! Xio Nightmare Booh!

Unread postby karahana » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey guys,
So somehow I've managed to get another Octane and this time for free! Is something like my last one, Dual R12K 300 but with less ram like 640 mn or so and SE graphics. The thing came with no PSU so I've put my other octane's psu in the new case and got some nice errors haha. It didn't boot at first. So aftter removing mobo and hdd to the older octane's case everything worked out! TUrns out it has a working Jaleo with license and all inside! In fact is the only software that's installed. So the only missing thing was to get a new PSU, and yesterday I've got it!!! and for free!!! Now I;ve got two green beasts with different logos, the old one sports the hypercube and the new one the newer SGI with the wacky G.

The problem begins here. Looks like someone removed the DIVO option board of my new octane so one of the XIO's plate is missing. Luckyly I have two spare DIVOs Laying around so when I'm going to remove the XIO to install the card... I've found this! (check pic!)

shit shit shit.jpg
Shit shit shit!

What would you recommend to remove this screw? It's totally stuck in there and I really can't move it as it is. Should I drill it and remove it's head? I was checking my other octane and that same screw is quite rubbish also but still functional, this one is nightmarish.

Booh! Anyway look at this mean guys! :D

BFF small.jpg
BFF =P

Thanks a lot guys!

Karahana
Image R12K Dual 300, 1gb RAM, EMXI, DIVO, MSCSI. Old logos!
Image R12K Dual 300, 640mb RAM, SE, DIVO(to be installed). New logos!
Image No processor, no HDDs, unknown state of ram... but hey! looks brand new :D

smj
Donor
Donor

Re: Second octane! Woo hoo! Xio Nightmare Booh!

Unread postby smj » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:21 pm

One option might be to use a small cutting wheel on a Dremel-type rotary tool and cut a slot across the head of the damaged screw - you'll probably have to sacrifice some of the surrounding plastic in the process. But then in future you just use a regular slot-head screwdriver to turn that screw.

Hopefully the screw wasn't cross-threaded, leading to difficult extraction and the damage at the head...

Edit: Oh yes, and -- nice machine(s)!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:09 am

I wouldn't mess with the screw at all. Just use a small drift to knock out the roll pin that holds the screw and tab assembly onto the bar. It's very easy to do. Then just use a tab/handle assembly from another XIO or mainboard, push it onto the metal bar and tap the roll pin into place.

I have done this several times in the past w/o any problems. Now if the threads on the case are bad then it is best to clean them up with a tap.

Richard

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:35 am

The IMPACT-type XIO carrier is also fairly easy to find if you just want to replace it.

If the pin doesn't work you can remove the plastic via fragmentation and get at the screw that way.

I don't recommend metalwork on a computer unless it is quite stripped. It's too easy for a piece of (can't remember the name of the chips and filings left over from machining right now) to fall into the machine and short something out. If necessary you can tape paper chaff guards around the screw, partially drill it and use an E-Z Out on it.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

karahana

Unread postby karahana » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:51 am

Hey guys!
Thanks, I will try your options one by one from non destructive to total mayhem =P Looks like the treads are totally ruined. The screw is absolutely stuck in there. =/

smj wrote:One option might be to use a small cutting wheel on a Dremel-type rotary tool and cut a slot across the head of the damaged screw - you'll probably have to sacrifice some of the surrounding plastic in the process. But then in future you just use a regular slot-head screwdriver to turn that screw.

Hopefully the screw wasn't cross-threaded, leading to difficult extraction and the damage at the head...

Edit: Oh yes, and -- nice machine(s)!

I believe that's what something tried to achieve and that's the reason for the plastic markings. And is totally an option.

Richtom1 wrote:I wouldn't mess with the screw at all. Just use a small drift to knock out the roll pin that holds the screw and tab assembly onto the bar. It's very easy to do. Then just use a tab/handle assembly from another XIO or mainboard, push it onto the metal bar and tap the roll pin into place.

I have done this several times in the past w/o any problems. Now if the threads on the case are bad then it is best to clean them up with a tap.

Richard

I will try this first and see if i can remove the damn thing! Thanks

SAQ wrote:The IMPACT-type XIO carrier is also fairly easy to find if you just want to replace it.

If the pin doesn't work you can remove the plastic via fragmentation and get at the screw that way.

I don't recommend metalwork on a computer unless it is quite stripped. It's too easy for a piece of (can't remember the name of the chips and filings left over from machining right now) to fall into the machine and short something out. If necessary you can tape paper chaff guards around the screw, partially drill it and use an E-Z Out on it.

After this I'd love to replace the XIO carrier, dunno where will i find one in Argentina but Would love to. And yes, case is drilling or something is needed, computer will me as much as stripped as I can!

Thanks guys let's see how it ends!

=)
Image No processor, no HDDs, unknown state of ram... but hey! looks brand new :D

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:33 am

SAQ wrote:The IMPACT-type XIO carrier is also fairly easy to find if you just want to replace it.

If you can't get at the pin try breaking off the plastic and seeing if you can get at the screw with a pair of Vise-Grips. If the threads are messed up you might need to chase them out with a tap before putting the new carrier in - again make sure that you tape paper in place to catch all the chips.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

RageX
Donor
Donor

Unread postby RageX » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 pm

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Haven't used one, but the screw extractor bit sounds good. I was assuming the screw was both stripped and fully inserted/stuck, so you'd need to get it out. I'm traveling, so unclear if you'd need to do that before going after the pin that Richard mentioned.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

karahana

Unread postby karahana » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:23 pm

The Screw extractor looks quite good! I've moved to Dubai two days ago so I won't be touching any of my SGI hardware anytime soon... booh. But to my great pleasure, the company i'm working got "as a gift" 3 oringin 2000's =) and they don't know how to use them, they don't even know how to and if they power on! They've been sitting there collecting dust for the past months. I'm so excited about this machines I even believe I can take one home! ha! Amazing.

Thanks all for your replies and will be removig that screw whenever I get home.

Cheers

Tabalabs

Unread postby Tabalabs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Why these lucky things doesn't happens in Brazil? :(
THE dream come true: Silicon Graphics' Octane
Image Octane R10000 225MHz, 2GB RAM, 1x36GB HDs, 21" monitor, SSI (no TRAM) graphics
:Indy: Indy R5000 (specs to be determined)

karahana

Unread postby karahana » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Tabalabs wrote:Why these lucky things doesn't happens in Brazil? :(

Dude, I've read your posts, I've waited/struggling like more than 10 years to get an Octane and you bought one for 200 reais... come on! hahaha.
In fact I was going to drop u a line asking what else you could get and If you could sent it to Buenos Aires with a big Obrigado in the end =P
Since I've left the country I wont, But are you still getting stuff from those guys? Video cards and spare parts?

Have a good one!

Tabalabs

Unread postby Tabalabs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:02 am

Karahana, I gotta go there to see if there is something left. But AFAIK everything is gone, even the other octanes (lots of friends bought one) and the smashed ones were to recycling. So bad :( I know there are some type 1 keyboards left, but nothing else.

I could send things to Buenos Aires, but prepare your pocket, it **is** expensive to send things there. Viva Brazil! :(

It would be nice if they had a pair of tram modules ;) Someone from nekochan offered me a pair, but I'm out of money until at least next month :(
Image Octane R10000 225MHz, 2GB RAM, 1x36GB HDs, 21" monitor, SSI (no TRAM) graphics

karahana

Unread postby karahana » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 am

Thank god my xmi graphics board came with tram. But I would like to get another mxi for my other octane! I also would love an original granite keyb and mouse or two I've got the dark grey one that came with the newer systems but still I want the old ones for my old octane! Can you get the price for those for me? Obrigado dude. Quite funny is expensive seince we both are "mercosur" =P

Tabalabs

Unread postby Tabalabs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Unfortunately none of them...even the keyboards are gone. I can find older Type 1 SGI keyboards, but they are incompatible with octane :(

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Tabalabs wrote:Unfortunately none of them...even the keyboards are gone. I can find older Type 1 SGI keyboards, but they are incompatible with octane :(

As in Indigo/Onyx/Personal IRIS/POWER series? Take 'em and sell them.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”