DMediaPro DM2/DM3/DM5 and VBOB Compatibility

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
recondas

Re: DMediaPro DM2/DM3/DM5 and VBOB Compatibility

Unread postby recondas » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Thinking that some of the Discreet apps were the most common use of the DM3/DM5 combination, I took a look at a few of the installation guides that included the use of a DM2 or DM3 with a DM5 to see if there might be anything useful there.

This might not have anything to do with the issues either of you are having, but I thought I'd mention what I found. None of the discreet text and configuration diagrams I looked at used the 'DVI Out' port on the VBOB as the connection for the graphics monitor. Discreet uses the base display port on the DCD equipped V12s to connect the graphics monitor <the 13w3 on the Octane and the base DVI on the Tezro>.

I don't know if Discreet knows of something that's not in the DM5 User's Guide, or if their software just needs a different cabling configuration. If you'd like to take a look, the Octane configuration and diagram can be found starting on page 26 of the Tezro and SGI Octane2 Workstation Hardware Setup Guide: ftp://ftp.discreet.com/pub2/doc/Effects ... ctane2.pdf That guide covers the Tezro too, but does so using an third-party external DCD. As an interesting aside, that guide includes a mention of why the SGI's VPro DCDs may have become so rare:
The DCD-2 board is discontinued by SGI for Tezro workstations. The functionality of this board is replaced by the Gefen Inc. ex.tend.it HDTV Splitter Distribution Amplifier.

I found another Discreet manual that does include setup procedures for a Tezro with SGI's OEM VPro DCD. The Tezro illustrated is the rack version, but should still be enough similar to the tower version to be applicable. The Tezro DCD/DM3/DM5 instructions start on page 148: http://www.discreet.jp/support/system_s ... _notes.pdf

There have been a few oblique mentions on nekochan of using the Discreet method of connecting to the base display ports on the V12, along with some of the display issues that type of configuration caused: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17253&p=7286590&#p7286590

The Discreet manuals might also explain the DM5 User's Guide mention of not using the standard 2-meter DVI cables that came with the DCD - apparently they're too long for video signal transmission. I noticed this note in e few of the Discreet manuals:
NOTE: You must use the short DVI cables provided with the hardware. Longer cables will cause artefacts in the video output when the graphics-to-video connection is enabled.

Here's an example of one of the cabling diagrams:
Tezro Cabling.jpg
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:41 am

Hi Recondas,

great find. Thanks.

I see that in both cases only a single DVI connection is made to VBOB for both Octane2 & Tezro installation, which is interesting.

Based on this cabling info it looks like the second DVI connection and the monitor connection are redundant.

Cheers,
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

jwhat wrote:great find. Thanks.
You're more than welcome.

If you happen to get a chance try it out connected using the Discreet method, but sure and post how it went. Although you may not be be running a Discreet app, I wonder if you also have to use a monitor that will display something rather obscure like the 1920x1154 resolution Bodao ended using in that linked nekochan discussion <sounds like roberto.t had similar problems later on in the same discussion, but he didn't post a follow up to say what did or didn't work>.

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 pm

recondas wrote:That guide covers the Tezro too, but does so using an third-party external DCD. As an interesting aside, that guide includes a mention of why the SGI's VPro DCDs may have become so rare:
The DCD-2 board is discontinued by SGI for Tezro workstations. The functionality of this board is replaced by the Gefen Inc. ex.tend.it HDTV Splitter Distribution Amplifier.

So this Gefen splitter can be used like a DCD on VPro board? Or just for the purpose of connecting to the DM5?

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:30 am

QuicksilverG4 wrote:So this Gefen splitter can be used like a DCD on VPro board? Or just for the purpose of connecting to the DM5?

Dunno - never knew they existed until I saw that reference in the Discreet Manual. I looked up what I think is the right manual, and it looks like it was primarily intended for video use. The manual isn't very detailed, but it looks like if you connected two monitors you'd get a two identical displays. So dual display but not dual channel.

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 am

recondas wrote:
QuicksilverG4 wrote:So this Gefen splitter can be used like a DCD on VPro board? Or just for the purpose of connecting to the DM5?

Dunno - never knew they existed until I saw that reference in the Discreet Manual. I looked up what I think is the right manual, and it looks like it was primarily intended for video use. The manual isn't very detailed, but it looks like if you connected two monitors you'd get a two identical displays. So dual display but not dual channel.

I have a couple of these Extend-It boxes, will have to try it and see how it works. I can potentially move my DCD back to an Octane for DVI out there.
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

sgicollector

Unread postby sgicollector » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey guys I have two hardware questions

A:)Can I just use a three wire serial to talk to the BOB (I know anything IP53 needs 38400&HW flow control)
B:)Considering the hardware likeness can I use a DM2 with the VBOB on an IR4. Deskside with 4x500Mhz Procs, it has only one router on the backplane with DIVO-DVCPRO and best of all XT-HD

But I would love to experiment with a TVO/VBOB and DM2. I know its not publicly supported

Will I need more 500Mhz nodeboards ? In two racks instead a desk side. Does anybody have Yah Nay experience ???????

Return to “SGI: Hardware”