Tape hardware compatibility

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
competentcompton
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:06 am

Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby competentcompton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi,

I was looking to getting a decent size tape system for backups on my irix boxes. I was looking at maybe a scsi exabyte VXA-2E anyone have any success getting one of these working on irix 6.5.xx?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Cheers

User avatar
shel
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Uzes, France or Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby shel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:13 am

I don't know about Exabytes, but I've had no problems at all using various DLT drives on both Sun and SGI machines; I've plugged them in and they Just Work.

-Shel

User avatar
wolflord
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby wolflord » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:47 am

competentcompton wrote:Hi,

I was looking to getting a decent size tape system for backups on my irix boxes. I was looking at maybe a scsi exabyte VXA-2E anyone have any success getting one of these working on irix 6.5.xx?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Cheers


Since I have pretty much any tape drive floating around at work...also where my Octane is, I went and checked it out for you. My octane is running 6.5.19F at the moment(I keep meaning to update it but keep not having time) and I can use the tape drive just fine. Scsi inquiry commands come back fine and mt works just fine as well. I ran a quick tar and that worked out fine too.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6574
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:11 pm

could you also try an ultrium?

User avatar
wolflord
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby wolflord » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:33 pm

foetz wrote:could you also try an ultrium?



I've tried one before, under at least 6.5.19 they have issues. I'm going to do a new install on the system Wednesday probably so I can run another test with a newer version of Irix. Are you looking for mainly LTO-1?
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6574
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:23 am

wolflord wrote:
foetz wrote:could you also try an ultrium?



I've tried one before, under at least 6.5.19 they have issues. I'm going to do a new install on the system Wednesday probably so I can run another test with a newer version of Irix. Are you looking for mainly LTO-1?


yes, 1 and 2.

thanks in advance

competentcompton
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:06 am

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby competentcompton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:41 pm

wolflord wrote:
Since I have pretty much any tape drive floating around at work...also where my Octane is, I went and checked it out for you. My octane is running 6.5.19F at the moment(I keep meaning to update it but keep not having time) and I can use the tape drive just fine. Scsi inquiry commands come back fine and mt works just fine as well. I ran a quick tar and that worked out fine too.


Hey thanks for checking that it. Sound like good news I'll probably go ahead and get one.

Thanks again

User avatar
wolflord
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby wolflord » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 am

foetz wrote:
wolflord wrote:
foetz wrote:could you also try an ultrium?



I've tried one before, under at least 6.5.19 they have issues. I'm going to do a new install on the system Wednesday probably so I can run another test with a newer version of Irix. Are you looking for mainly LTO-1?


yes, 1 and 2.

thanks in advance



Ok, I had a bad drive for the first go round it seems...on the second drive Irix sees it as a generic 'cartridge device'. I was able to do the scsi inquiry commands, mt status commands and read and write to a tape using tar. In this case both drive types LTO 1 and 2 were scsi attached. Still running 6.5.19.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6574
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:41 pm

wolflord wrote:Ok, I had a bad drive for the first go round it seems...on the second drive Irix sees it as a generic 'cartridge device'. I was able to do the scsi inquiry commands, mt status commands and read and write to a tape using tar. In this case both drive types LTO 1 and 2 were scsi attached. Still running 6.5.19.


good enough for me. much thanks! :D

competentcompton
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:06 am

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby competentcompton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi,

long time since I first posted this.

I tried an EXABYTE on an irix machine and no luck thus far.

hinv reports

Tape drive: unit 6 on SCSI controller 1: unknown

Then when I try to use anything such as status I get the following

mt -f /dev/mt/tps1d6

No such device

I need to try this with a different machine to see if it a bad tape unit, but so far the EXABYTE is not working??

Any thoughts anyone??

Cheers

User avatar
recondas
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5441
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: NC - USA

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby recondas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:37 pm

IRIX uses /var/sysgen/master.d/scsi to identify and define the capabilities of tape drives. The file contains several for the Exabyte *8200 and 8500 8mm*, but no VXA-2 If there are any drives with similar hardware technology, you might be able to modify one using the procedure outlined in the nekowiki: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/ ... r_IRIX_6.5 I'd strongly recommend you make a backup of the original /var/sysgen/master.d/scsi before you make any edits.

Some manufacturers wrote their own IRIX definition files - though it doesn't appear that Exabyte/Tandberg released one for the VXA-2 series:

http://www.exabyte.com/support/online/d ... rod_id=400
http://www.exabyte.com/support/products ... pe%20Drive
***********************************************************************
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
***********************************************************************

competentcompton
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:06 am

Re: Tape hardware compatibility

Unread postby competentcompton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi,

Thanks, I was playing with scsiha to see what it was reporting first, and then I thought I would dive into that file.

I wonder is wolfblitz? (sorry I forgot your name :oops: ) who said that it worked may have and entry in

/var/sysgen/master.d/scsi for the EXABYTE

It is a vxa-2 BTW.

Thanks for the link

Cheers


Return to “SGI: Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest