Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: O2k and dead psu?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:59 pm 

Ok, so I got my second O2k deskside home today. Looks very nice, low spec two nodes (2x195), 512MB RAM and one MSCSI card. No router cards installed.

But it won't start. :(

When switching on I hear the usual click (and the lights in the house flicker. :) ) and then nothing. The only LED that is lit is the AC OK at the bottom of the psu. Nothing else is lit anywhere. So I figured I ask for clues before I pull it apart.

Aparently it hasn't been powered on for a couple of years but has been stored warm. In normal room teperature and humidity.

/Matt

Post subject: Re: O2k and dead psu?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:44 pm 

I'm not sure it will power up with no routerboards. If you want a pair I have them avail for $100 for the pair plus shipping

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 pm 

Quote:
I'm not sure it will power up with no routerboards. If you want a pair I have them avail for $100 for the pair plus shipping

It will power up without router boards - that is not the issue..

OK - what does the MMSC display say? Is that really 100% dead?

I have one tempremental unit that sometimes does not start.

Unplug it and leave it for 10 mins, and then try again.. Pull all the cards out and look at the midplane - they is normally a 5V standby - maybe that is dead...

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:53 am 

Yeah, as I said, nothing but the "AC OK" LED is lit. The previous description is exactly what happens. As I have another O2k I know exactly what should be lit and not, and how it should behave when powering on.
I should at least see either "PWR GOOD" lit or "FAULT" but I'm not even getting those.

No, the router boards is not the issue here. When you have only two boards you don't need routers. But thank for the offer as I am going to get a pair of routers eventually so I can upgrade to four node boards.

I will try to pull the cards and check around. I was so horribly tired yesterday from lugging computer stuff around I'll give it a shot later today. I have the psu from my other O2k I can test with but I want to make this run by itself if possible. Maybe it is a psu eater and if I put my working psu in there it will stop working too.
Let's exhaust all possibilities before going to that so just keep'm coming.

* Oh, btw I tried to power it up today but it's still the same. It has been indoors for over 12hrs so it should be adjusted to my home temperature by now.

Thanks!

/Matt

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:46 am 

I just sent 2x O2K PSUs for recycling... :cry: ... still, you'll get the node boards.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 am 

I had a similar problem with an Onyx2 deskside.

The click sound when powered on and "AC OK" LED lit, and the nothing.
I solved the problem by changing the MMSC. I had a spare lying around and tried to see what happened. After that everything started up as it should.

Is it possible there is a component in the MMSC that is aging, like a lithiumbattery? Maybe swapping a component could help, you just have to figure out which one :?

/Bjorn

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:47 am 

bjornl wrote:
I solved the problem by changing the MMSC.
I'm sure bjornl probably meant to type MSC - the MMSC is usually used as a multi-module controller in a rack system.

If it does happen to be the MSC and you can't source one locally, I've still got a few around. You'd be welcome to one for postage.

You've probably already been there - done that, but if you had the power supply out to move the O2k, check that the white plug (on the power supply) hasn't been pushed out of position so that it doesn't make good contact with the mid-plane.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:26 pm 

bjornl wrote:
I had a similar problem with an Onyx2 deskside.

The click sound when powered on and "AC OK" LED lit, and the nothing.
I solved the problem by changing the MMSC. I had a spare lying around and tried to see what happened. After that everything started up as it should.

Is it possible there is a component in the MMSC that is aging, like a lithiumbattery? Maybe swapping a component could help, you just have to figure out which one :?

/Bjorn

That was a good and hope-inspiring tip but unfortunately it didn't work. I have a spare MSC with a broken keyswitch that I know works. Popped it in and the result was the same. I did however examine the board and could find nothing that even resembles a battery. Ah, crud!

Guess I'll have to swap psu's. I.m running out of options.

/Matt

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 pm 

recondas wrote:
If it does happen to be the MSC and you can't source one locally, I've still got a few around. You'd be welcome to one for postage.

You've probably already been there - done that, but if you had the power supply out to move the O2k, check that the white plug (on the power supply) hasn't been pushed out of position so that it doesn't make good contact with the mid-plane.

Eh, no, I hadn't been there and done that. :roll: One of the plastic guide/hook-thingys on one side of a white connector were a bit mashed. I had to fix it with some glue. Popped the psu back and crossed my fingers.

AND IT WORKS!!

Thanks for all the help, tips and offers guys! I'm back on track again. :mrgreen:

By the way Bjorn, hows your back today? My body feels like it's broken. :)

/Matt

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:51 pm 

fieldframe wrote:
I just sent 2x O2K PSUs for recycling... :cry: ... still, you'll get the node boards.

Yes, and not only that, this system also need a set of router boards for further upgrades. :cry:
This deal came up after your system went to the recycler. Did you by any chance salvage the craylink cables?

Still very happy for the node boards and RAM though. :D

Regards
/Matt

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 pm 

I missed this thread since I'm not at home, but initially it sounded like the problem I had with my O2k PSU, but you solved the problem so it's not an issue any more.
I have a thread somewhere in the hardware section which covered the same scenario.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:29 pm 

ramq wrote:
I missed this thread since I'm not at home, but initially it sounded like the problem I had with my O2k PSU, but you solved the problem so it's not an issue any more.
I have a thread somewhere in the hardware section which covered the same scenario.

I tried to search for a solution but couldn't find anything useful so hence this thread. It's really strange SGI use such crappy connectors on the psu while most of the other are of much higher quality albeit somewhat fragile if not properly handled. Thinking of the compression connectors here.
Guess you learn something new everyday. :)

/Matt

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tesla wrote:
It's really strange SGI use such crappy connectors on the psu

The sled connector on the original Indigo tends to push in as well - I've had a lot of problems with those over the years.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:29 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
The sled connector on the original Indigo tends to push in as well - I've had a lot of problems with those over the years.

Yes, that's correct. I had almost forgotten that from my previously owned Indigos. It's the same type of connector, isn't it? A bit smaller but still...

/Matt

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 am 

tesla wrote:
AND IT WORKS!!
Glad you got it running.

tesla wrote:
By the way Bjorn, hows your back today? My body feels like it's broken. :)

I was 'a bit' tired, but I have recovered now :-)
Time to play with all stuff we got. Looking for old AIT1 tapes to see if the taperobot really is broken. I powers on good anyway.