V12 in Origin350 / InfinitePerformance? - WORKS!

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
shadowless

Re: V12 in Origin350 / InfinitePerformance? - WORKS!

Unread postby shadowless » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Ok I have a better idea of how the 2 units are setup. They are setup as a pair with 100% redundancy.

I disconnected the numalink and power cable, install the v10 and the L1 always reports no system serial. I did the 'serial all' and the odyssey did turn up.

Only if i remove the v10 and numalink the 2 unit will the system serial for the compute unit be recovered. But at 'serial all' the odyssey is absent. Somehow when the 2 are connected the XIO2 in the compute unit is disabled.

Not sure if you have any idea about these type of setup and if you know hot to enable the XIO without losing the serial for the compute unit.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:12 pm

shadowless wrote:Ok I have a better idea of how the 2 units are setup. They are setup as a pair with 100% redundancy. I disconnected the numalink and power cable, install the v10 and the L1 always reports no system serial. I did the 'serial all' and the odyssey did turn up. Only if i remove the v10 and numalink the 2 unit will the system serial for the compute unit be recovered. But at 'serial all' the odyssey is absent. Somehow when the 2 are connected the XIO2 in the compute unit is disabled. Not sure if you have any idea about these type of setup and if you know hot to enable the XIO without losing the serial for the compute unit.

To prevent giving someone else who might try this the impression that redundancy between NUMAlinked O350s is the cause of this issue, I'll mention that shadowless PM'd me a copy of the output of an L1 "serial all". Unfortunately the serial number in his troublesome O350 is blank, and worse, has a "P" prefix. Here's a portion of the L1 "serial all" shadowless sent me:

Code: Select all

001c01-L1>serial all

Data                            Location      Value
------------------------------  ------------  --------
Local System Serial Number      NVRAM         P0000000 <----!!!!!!!!!!
Reference System Serial Number  NVRAM         P0000000 <---!!!!!!!!!

Origin <and Onyx> 350 serial numbers always have an "M" prefix - the "P" prefix is used by the Tezro. There is an L1 command that allows for the conversion a VPro equipped Origin/Onyx 350 into the rack-mounted version of the Tezro, but the process also zeros out the numeric portion of the serial number. Since the serial number in shadowless' problem O350 is "P0000000", it would appear someone has attempted to convert the system into the rack version of the Tezro. <For the curious, there are details on the O350-to-Tezro conversion procedure in this nekochan thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16721235& >

An L2 Controller is the known fix for this situation <or even possibly the L3 software>, but since shadowless has two O350s with the same serial number <the second unit isn't affected so it can restore the missing serial when connected by NUMAlink>, he *might* be able to correct the situation without an L2.

If it's possible to issue the command to reverse "make rmws" without a graphics board installed, the following might work:

There is an element of risk involved. If you have any doubts, the L2 method is safer, wait until one is available.

Remove the V10, reconnect the NUMAlink and apply power to the two units as NUMAlinked O350s <no graphics installed>.
The system with a serial number should write that number to the one missing a serial number <verify that with "serial all">
If the problem system now shows a valid serial number, disconnect power and remove the NUMAlink.
Working *only* with the system that lost the serial number, reconnect power <still no graphics board!>
Run "serial all" again to confirm it has a valid serial number.
Now try to undo the make rmws - issue "make rmws 0" <that's a zero>, followed by by "reboot_l1"
After the L1 reboots, rerun serial all and check the brick type with the L1 command "brick".
If it returns the correct serial number, or even a blank serial number with an "M" prefix things are looking good.
If it returns the blank "P" serial number <and the brick type is still rmws>, retry the "make rmws 0", this time with the graphics board installed
If you can get it to return M0000000, disconnect power, reconnect the NUMAlink, and the original serial number will be re-written by the second O350.
Then you can reinstall graphics and it should work as an Onyx 350 InfinitePerformance.

If the blank "P" serial number persists - the only way to correct the problem is with an L2 <or *possibly* by use of the L3 Controller Software>.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

shadowless

Unread postby shadowless » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks Recondas. Reset the rmws setting and everything went smoothly.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:21 pm

shadowless wrote:Thanks Recondas. Reset the rmws setting and everything went smoothly.

Glad to hear that. Time to post hinv -vm : usr/gfx/gfxinfo -vv : l1cmd env : serial all : photos?

shadowless

Unread postby shadowless » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Updated hinv post. Cut the V10 face plate installed, I have no odyssey fan yet so it is 80% complete. Finally I have a system fast enough to run firefox smoothly.

Wonder why don't they make 1U deskside or table top computer instead, such a nice & neat form factor. All they need to do is a plastic skin and 2 set of legs like indigo's to sell it as a desktop instead of making the pc looking fuel.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:57 am

For comparison, here's a photo of the rear of two O350s, one with VPro graphics installed installed and one unmodified:
Onyx-n-Origin_350.jpg

The upper unit has the modification. The modification illustrated involved trimming the heat sink to fit around the processor shroud - a radial fan was installed below the VPro to provide cooling.

1) The radial fan added with the VPro exhausts through the opening just to the right of the row of serial ports.

2) An unmodified Origin 350 ships with a removable cover over that exhaust port.

3) The VPro board used is from a Fuel, the bulkhead on the Fuel Vpro has to be trimmed to fit the O350. While removed the VPro bulkhead was used as a template to cut a sheet of thin <but stiff> material to block the open grid in the VPro bulkhead <the white material seen in the photo>. This improves cooling by preventing air flow from being drawn through the grid <and right back out through the fan>. Instead the fan draws air from the front of the O350, across the RAM and through the processor shroud, so that overall system cooling is assisted.

4) The factory version of the Onyx InfinitePerformance shipped with a four-port USB HBA. There have been several reports of the successful use of any generic NEC based PCI USB, this particular one is a Belkin F5U220 <five-port, one is internal>. It's actually a USB 2.0 part, though in this case it operates in USB 1.1 mode <the Belkin F5U220 has "N10117" screened on the PCB - for that reason the boards sometimes appear on eBay as a "Belkin N10117>.

5) The DM8 Digital Audio board was an option in the original Onyx IP. The one pictured here is an mAudio Revolution 7.1, <SGI's OEM for the DM8>.

6) An LSI SAS3442X-R SAS/SATA PCI-X card - not needed for the Origin 350 to Onyx InfinitePerformance conversion.

7) The IO9 input/output controller. If your Origin 350 doesn't have one, it's an Origin 350 expansion module not intended for use as a freestanding unit <the IO9 provides the boot drive SCSI bus and the IDE controller for the DVD drive>.

Addendum for the curious: The O350 and the converted OnyxIP are installed in an SGI 17U short rack. The device at the top of the photo is an L2 controller.

bplaa.yai

Unread postby bplaa.yai » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:10 am

recondas wrote:1) The radial fan added with the VPro exhausts through the opening just to the right of the row of serial ports.

2) An unmodified Origin 350 ships with a removable cover over that exhaust port.

3) The VPro board used is from a Fuel, the bulkhead on the Fuel Vpro has to be trimmed to fit the O350. While removed the VPro bulkhead was used as a template to cut a sheet of thin <but stiff> material to block the open grid in the VPro bulkhead <the white material seen in the photo>. This improves cooling by preventing air flow from being drawn through the grid <and right back out through the fan>. Instead the fan draws air from the front of the O350, across the RAM and through the processor shroud, so that overall system cooling is assisted.

It's also worth noting that this cooling method is the only one that works on a quad cpu O350. The method I used (page 5 of this thread) uses the empty space left by the 2 "missing" cpus.
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:18 am

Nice wrapup, definitly Wiki material along with the original instructions.

Worth noting is that you lower bricks is a "base module" too which has all those serialports/keyboard/mouse and the IO9. Neither one (except the "base" brick) on my Origin350's has these.
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:29 pm

hey hey, joined the club today ... woot :D :D

a nice dual 800mhz with 4gb and the usual 73gb cheetah just arrived yesterday. anyhow no ps2 ports and no io9 so far. but of course i couldn't resist and fired it up. and the problems started :P
connected the console port with my usual cable and turned it on BUT the only thing i got was 2 short lines of random letters and that's it. nothing else. also the same but with different letters after turning it off. the display shows the node number, 'powered up' and the spinning dash in the upper right corner. nothing else.

any ideas are welcome :)

PymbleSoftware

Unread postby PymbleSoftware » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 pm

foetz wrote:hey hey, joined the club today ... woot :D :D

a nice dual 800mhz with 4gb and the usual 73gb cheetah just arrived yesterday. anyhow no ps2 ports and no io9 so far. but of course i couldn't resist and fired it up. and the problems started :P
connected the console port with my usual cable and turned it on BUT the only thing i got was 2 short lines of random letters and that's it. nothing else. also the same but with different letters after turning it off. the display shows the node number, 'powered up' and the spinning dash in the upper right corner. nothing else.

any ideas are welcome :)

You've been around a long long time. Respectively, and without mention of grandmas or egg sucking... Two lines of garbage characters over serial even from BBS days in the 1980s has always meant to me wrong speed. You got cu, kermit, hyperterm, whatever at 38400 8N1 right...? Console is under the tiny honda SCSI connector on the o3x0s.. Its not ttya or serial1.

Either that or the serial line driver chips are toast.. Probably max232 chips nowadays.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

HP C7000 BladeSever with 16 Blades 96Gb to 144Gb RAM per blade
HP C3000 Blade Server with 8 Blades 48Gb to 144Gb RAM per blade

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 am

yeah, lol, you're right. i thought about a thousand things but not the serial speed. works just fine :D
and for the record, i'm not that old :P

PymbleSoftware

Unread postby PymbleSoftware » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 am

foetz wrote: ... and for the record, i'm not that old :P

I was referring to the 4000 plus posts and your many contributions here.
Glad its working.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

HP C7000 BladeSever with 16 Blades 96Gb to 144Gb RAM per blade
HP C3000 Blade Server with 8 Blades 48Gb to 144Gb RAM per blade

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 am

Congratulations - I know you've been looking for a while.

foetz wrote:a nice dual 800mhz with 4gb and the usual 73gb cheetah just arrived yesterday. anyhow no ps2 ports and no io9 so far.
If the IO9 proves difficult to source and you're on the impatient side, you can NUMAlink to an O300 and use it for boot disk access. I couldn't recall if you already had an O300 - if not, it'll probably be easier to find than an IO9 <and give you an excuse to expand the collection>.

Any plans to add graphics? This thread has the virtual run down on the process, and I posted a little more over here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16721099

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 am

PymbleSoftware wrote:I was referring to the 4000 plus posts and your many contributions here.
Glad its working.

of course, just joking :)

recondas wrote:
Congratulations - I know you've been looking for a while.

thanks!
indeed, it's been a while but i'm used to be patient when it comes to sgi stuff :D

If the IO9 proves difficult to source and you're on the impatient side, you can NUMAlink to an O300 and use it for boot disk access. I couldn't recall if you already had an O300 - if not, it'll probably be easier to find than an IO9 <and give you an excuse to expand the collection>.

i don't have a 300 and i'm not interested in getting one. i'll just hunt down a io9. (i hope :D)

Any plans to add graphics? This thread has the virtual run down on the process, and I posted a little more over here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16721099

oh yes, the v12 was the first thing i got on my o350 journey :D

bplaa.yai

Unread postby bplaa.yai » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:42 am

foetz wrote:i don't have a 300 and i'm not interested in getting one. i'll just hunt down a io9. (i hope :D)

I guess there's a good chance that an IO8 would work too (even if it's not directly related, the alix 350 support both IO9 and IO10).
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”