Does firewire work on the Audigy 2 ZS ?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
strandedinnz

Does firewire work on the Audigy 2 ZS ?

Unread postby strandedinnz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:16 am

Hi there,

If one of those sound cards gets put in the Fuel, is the firewire on the soundcard usable ?

Thanks

Mark
:Fuel:

Bluefan

Re: Does firewire work on the Audigy 2 ZS ?

Unread postby Bluefan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:50 am

I think that the firewire is just an added controller, and seeing the short list of firewire controllers supported, my guess is that it won't work, but you'd have to try to be more sure about it.
:O2:Toika :O2:Myra :O2:Fiona :Octane:Lisa :Octane:Sandra :Indigo2:Danica :Indy:Giana :O200:Lara :O200: :O200:Iona :O2000:Aida

jade_angel

Unread postby jade_angel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:47 am

Even if it works, I can't recommend using it. I have an Audigy2 ZS, though in my case it's in a PC running Linux. I've tried connecting devices to the Audigy2's 1394 port, and while it does seem to work, after transferring more than a few hundred megs through the port, the entire card, both sound and firewire, becomes wedged. Sound output stops, anything that tries to access the sound card hangs, and no traffic passes over the IEEE1394 card. I've seen this with 3 separate Audigy2 ZS cards, so it seems improbable that I just have a faulty card. There also seems to be no way to fix this without powerclearing the card. If you can do PCI hotplug, you might be able to just yoink the card and stick it back in to un-wedge it, but I have no idea if a Fuel supports PCI hotplug or not. (I'm reasonably sure that a Tezro does, but then, Tezro has it's own audio, rendering the whole thing moot anyway.)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:51 am

I have an audigy gamer and have never had a problem with it, even when transferring hours and hours of high-quality video at a time. In a pc running windows xp. I can have two cameras hooked up, one front panel plug and one in the back.

Added:
after taking a peep at the card, it appears to have a TI TSB41AB2 for firewire.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 am

sybrfreq wrote:Added:
after taking a peep at the card, it appears to have a TI TSB41AB2 for firewire.

Reasonable chance it would work then. My firewire - usb dually card has been running for a month or so now with no apparent problems. Pop it in and check the hinv. If it shows up probably can make it go.

jade_angel

Unread postby jade_angel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:09 am

Hmm. Sybrfreq raises an interesting point here, he's been using his card specifically for DV, while I was trying to use mine for SBP-2 mass storage. Perhaps there's a bug/limitation in the chip?

ISTR that the 1394 controller on the VW320 and VW540 had a similar limitation, too.

Just something to keep in mind.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”