Origin 350 serial number disaster/*WANTED: L3 Software files

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hirudin

Re: Origin 350 serial number disaster

Unread postby hirudin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:06 am

Is this a common problem with these systems? I'm in the process of setting up a personal Onyx 3K system, which consists of a few pieces of a larger system (I kept 1 rack's worth from a 6 rack system). Just trying to anticipate problems, and if I have just a few non-sequential bricks, perhaps this will happen to me too?

Mind you, I have an L2 controller :)

-Jesse
:Onyx2RE: :Octane2: :Octane:

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:46 am

Hehe, with the L2 you're fine, and even without it as long as all your systems don't get "serial clear" ed somehow you can easily just set all their serials by *carefully* serial clearing them one at a time and letting them slave off each other.

My issue, I think, was a faulty NUMALink cable; when one system tried to clone its number onto the other it failed somehow (probably just corrupted RAM), bricking both systems.

I think I'm just going to pick up an L2 to reset all the #s with, O350s are rare enough that I doubt I'll be able to pick up or borrow a Dallas chip (unless someone reading has an O350 they'd be willing not to use for a couple weeks ;).

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:23 am

bri3d wrote:I think I'm just going to pick up an L2

If you can find a copy, at one time SGI offered an L2 emulator that was included in a freely downloadable L3 software package that ran on Linux.

Here's a <wayback machine> quote from SGI's now defunct "Download Cool Software" page:
The Origin 3000 Series L3 Controller is a software product distributed for the L3 controller hardware (ie, the Silicon Graphics 230). It provides a system control platform for field service system maintenance applications.
Unfortunately the download link disappeared along with the Cool Software Page.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:54 am

recondas wrote:
bri3d wrote:I think I'm just going to pick up an L2

If you can find a copy, at one time SGI offered an L2 emulator that was included in a freely downloadable L3 software package that ran on Linux.

That'd for sure be the cheapest and easiest option, thanks!

Too bad I can't find the files anywhere. :( They were even listed as "Free" by SGI, you'd think someone, somewhere would have mirrored them...
If anyone's mirrored them or has an L3 setup they could pack up the files from, that'd be nice...

There shouldn't be any copyright/legal issues as they were freely distributed (even specifically listed as "Free") by SGI.
freshman wrote:Some time ago I had a similar problem and the solution is to insert a DS1742 Chip with a legal SSN to your System.

In addition, re: the Dallas chip, has anyone dumped the contents of NVRAM on one? If the serial isn't encrypted or packed, and there's not too much checksumming, I could just try writing the NVRAM myself.
If they're socketed, I'll pull mine and dump to see, but if anyone's done it before I don't want to re-invent the wheel :)

ramq

Re: Origin 350 serial number disaster/*WANTED: L3 Software files

Unread postby ramq » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:07 am

Excuse me for waking up this thread again, but I'm soon (in a matter of weeks anyway) facing probably the same problem as hirudin faced with a half-complete O3800 lacking an R-brick. It's got an L2 and four C-bricks (plus I-brick and powerbay), but the router would have to be bought in configured.

It seems that the way to do it is to blank the serials on the C-bricks, one-by-one using the L2, and then let the R-brick "feed" them with serials? Am I right? From what I've read I should match the L2 serial with the R-brick serial?
I seem to lack a proper how-to list and while I do have a somewhat helpful guy inside SGI, I don't think he's willing to risk his job by issuing new serial keys for this to work "the proper way"...
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm

It'll actually be the L2 feeding the serials, but yep, I think that's the only way to get it to work thus far.

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:55 am

I'm getting a CD from someone I know inside SGI with the L3 Software, probably next week.
Stay tuned.

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 am

...and here it is.
Cd-IST_3.24.tar 67.5MB

Anywhere I can upload it to?

bplaa.yai

Unread postby bplaa.yai » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:36 pm

ramq wrote:...and here it is.
Cd-IST_3.24.tar 67.5MB

PM neko. If he is technically allowed to host it he will do so.
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:

iKitsune

Unread postby iKitsune » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:33 pm

ramq wrote:...and here it is.
Cd-IST_3.24.tar 67.5MB

R*pidshare.
:O3000: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :0300:

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Should be Neko's call, but it should be very much legal - the files were offered for free on SGI's "Cool Stuff" page for quite some time.

If he won't host it or thinks it's too big, hit me up with a PM and I can give you some space on my box.

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 pm

We probably should spread this piece of software around a little since it's gone "unobtanium" unless you find a helpful soul inside SGI.

All interested in this PM me with account information and I'll upload it wherever necessary. I can do both SFTP and FTP.
There's 08:25 friday morning here and I have over the day to do it, otherwise I'll have to wait until next week.

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:45 am

Alright!
deBug was kind enough to share his Nekoware-mirror to give public access to this package.
You can find it here:

http://se.mirror.nekoware.net/SGI_relat ... _Software/

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Also up at - http://brianledbetter.com/CD-IST_3.24.tar - probably faster for US users than deBug's mirror.

I'm working on getting a working L2-emulating system going with it - I'm aiming for a VM appliance of some sort that users can just download and run, then plug their bricks into their PC rather than having to buy an L2.

bplaa.yai

Unread postby bplaa.yai » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:49 am

bri3d wrote:Also up at - http://brianledbetter.com/CD-IST_3.24.tar - probably faster for US users than deBug's mirror.

I'm working on getting a working L2-emulating system going with it - I'm aiming for a VM appliance of some sort that users can just download and run, then plug their bricks into their PC rather than having to buy an L2.

I took some time to test it yesterday, the L2 emulation works perfectly :) I just had to change the #include at line 24 of sgil1_26.c from asm/semaphore.h to linux/demaphore.h to get the usb kernel module to build correctly. There is even a little gui frontend (l2_gui) to perform and target common L2 commands.
Appart of this, I didn't take time to play with (and understand) other stuffs, but it's very nice to have this piece of software recovered :D
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”