Can't get Origin 300 L1 Controller to Update

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
joerg
Donor
Donor

Re: Can't get Origin 300 L1 Controller to Update

Unread postby joerg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:24 am

bplaa.yai wrote:Does the IRIX installation automatically flashes the L1 firmware, as it does for the PROM ?

Only for the PROM. The installation doesnt touch the L1 firmware. Also true for MMSC on older machines like O2k,Onxy2.

regards
Joerg

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:23 pm

nekonoko wrote:1.4.1 was apparently where serial security was enabled - at some point in later revisions it was enforced (i.e. you can no longer reset the serial manually).

I wonder if any of that applies to the L2 as well. I saw yours is/was at 1.48.0 <I looked first this time ;)>. Just out of curiosity did you try "serial set"? It worked on this L2 - but it's at version 1.12.1. The L1 I got for the G-brick came from the same source as the L2, so if I'm lucky maybe it'll be an older revision as well.

nekonoko wrote:I regret updating the L1 on the quad O300 I sold to recondas (sorry, didn't know any better at the time!)

Not to worry - I'd have almost certainly done the same.

In any case it looks like I could go back to the firmware revision that was loaded before the last update:

Code: Select all

1cmd flash status v
Flash image B currently booted

Image   Address       Status        Revision    Built
-----  ----------  -------------   ----------   -----
  A    0xffe10000  valid           1.16.0       08/27/2002 13:23:12
  B    0xffe80000  default         1.24.11      10/29/2003 00:05:08

Looks like firmware 1.16.0 is still in memory - according to the help file it's possible the older firmware could be reloaded:

1cmd hlp flash
flash default reset
        determines default image at boot-time
flash default a
        set image A as the default flash image
flash default b
        set image B as the default flash image
flash default current
        set current image as the default flash image
flash default old
        set older image as the default flash image
flash default new
        set newer image as the default flash image
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:26 pm

recondas wrote:In any case it looks like I could go back to the firmware revision that was loaded before the last update:

Yeah, that might work - I didn't think of that at the time :) Basically I tried doing the 'serial clear/serial set' from the 1.24.11 unit and it kept snapping back to the current serial without changing it. When I executed the same from the older L1 (1.18.5 as mentioned by bplaa.yai) it worked just fine. There may have been other factors at work here - I don't know for certain. It just remember it being somewhat of a bitch to get them to talk to each other, while doing the same on the O350s was a breeze.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Zerolapse

Unread postby Zerolapse » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Okay, so here's another question. I'm noticing on the display on the front of my O300 that there's a spinning / character next to the machine's rack/slot number like it's searching for something. Is that normal? or do I have to change some setting? I believe this system was part of a larger setup before so I'm wondering if there's something I have to flip back.

Thanks,
-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
The current fleet.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Zerolapse wrote:Okay, so here's another question. I'm noticing on the display on the front of my O300 that there's a spinning / character next to the machine's rack/slot number like it's searching for something.

I've got the same thing in the O300 L1 and the G-brick L1, so I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Out of curiosity, what does "flash status" return as the firmware reversion not used as default by your L1 <"Image B">? If the current <newer?> reversion is 1.6.1, there's at least a remote chance you might have one of the serial-security free 1.3.x versions still in memory.

SGISTEVE

Unread postby SGISTEVE » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:10 pm

My three O300's have the same icon at the end, I think it is like a symbol for a second hand on a clock. Just to show it is running maybe, although it spins even before the power up. Anyway it is a normal icon on the display.

sgiSteve
Last edited by SGISTEVE on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, go higher. Real time realistic interactive graphics.

WANTED Cray CX-1 cheap

Zerolapse

Unread postby Zerolapse » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Unfortunately no. They have both been updated, although not by me.

001c01-L1>flash status
Flash image A currently booted

Image      Status        Revision    Built
-----   -------------   ----------   -----
  A     user default    1.6.1        08/08/2001 07:50:03
  B     valid           1.6.1        08/08/2001 07:50:03

Interestingly enough, I may have found the reason for it not flashing:

"NOTE: There is a known BUG (842778) in L1 firmware version 1.6.X, that prevents flashing all L1's through the same L1.
The workaround is to flash each L1 individually. This has been fixed in L1 firmware version 1.8.X and higher"

My thinking is that if I'm already screwed on the version since I very much have the security enabled L1, I might well make the most of it and update to the new version so at least IRIX will quite complaining and irritating my eccentric self. :lol: So my thought is that updating either via the serial port or the L1 controller USB port might be the way to go:

Updating the L1 at rack 2, slot 18 via the USB connection using the L2
     emulator running on the L3 (system w/o a hardware L2):

1) make sure the software L2 is running (/stand/sysco/bin/l2)
     2) cd /usr/cpu/firmware/sysco
     3) update the flash with the command:
        /usr/sbin/flashsc ./l1.bin 2.18
     4) issue the "r 2 s 18 reboot_l1" command at the L2> prompt to reboot the L1

Updating the L1 at rack 3, slot 12 via the (serial) SMP port connection
     on the Annex serial port server 'myannex', port 17:

1) cd /usr/cpu/firmware/sysco
     2) update the flash with the command:
          /usr/sbin/flashsc --serial myannex:7017 ./l1.bin 3.12

Have you guys attempted this before? What is the L2 Emulator (I'm assuming a software program you can run from another SGI) and is it on the install disks or perhaps available on supportfolio? (I couldn't find it up there). The annex serial port thing sounds like a hardware terminal server or something, so I'm pretty sure that's out. I also don't have an L2 controller.

Thoughts?

Thanks again guys,
-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
The current fleet.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:17 am

Zerolapse wrote:Interestingly enough, I may have found the reason for it not flashing:

"NOTE: There is a known BUG (842778) in L1 firmware version 1.6.X, that prevents flashing all L1's through the same L1.
The workaround is to flash each L1 individually. This has been fixed in L1 firmware version 1.8.X and higher"

My thinking is that if I'm already screwed on the version since I very much have the security enabled L1, I might well make the most of it and update to the new version so at least IRIX will quite complaining and irritating my eccentric self. :lol: So my thought is that updating either via the serial port or the L1 controller USB port might be the way to go

Your call - but unless 1.6.1 presents a functional issue you can't work around, I'd suggest leaving it <see neko's mention of "enabled but not enforced">. Just in case you might want to NumaLink something in the future

Zerolapse wrote: What is the L2 Emulator (I'm assuming a software program you can run from another SGI) and is it on the install disks or perhaps available on supportfolio? (I couldn't find it up there). The annex serial port thing sounds like a hardware terminal server or something, so I'm pretty sure that's out. I also don't have an L2 controller.

The L2 Emulator is a portion of the L3 System Controller Software. The L3 is/was an Intel based SGI 230 running linux <but the notes make mention you could run it on a laptop or other intel box>. The software package used to be available on SGI's "Download Cool Software" page marked as "Free" with no license required. Scroll down to " Origin 3000 Series L3 Controller 1.0 & 1.1" in the wayback link:
http://web.archive.org/web/200012032017 ... ation.html

Unfortunately SGI's original DCS page is gone, and apparently so is the L3 Controller Software.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”