Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:12 am 

need to remove system board from o2 canot find anything on how to do it-trying to jnstall flat panel adapter and system board must be removed to do it-instructions on flat panel adapter do not sem to apply to my board
i am a newbee to sgi

tia
peter

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:22 am 

plener wrote:
need to remove system board from o2 canot find anything on how to do it-trying to jnstall flat panel adapter and system board must be removed to do it-instructions on flat panel adapter do not sem to apply to my board
i am a newbee to sgi

tia
peter

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... ml#id30733

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:36 am 

I'm probably a little late - but be sure to remove the power cord *before* the extracting the system board.

and just in case any other questions come up about the installation of the FPA:
O2: Silicon Graphics 1600SW Flat Panel Monitor Adapter Installation Guide

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:01 am 

tech pubs not helpful-my rm5200 does not have any screws on the bottom of the bezel nor does it have a perforted pci tray

i will postphotos as soon asmyoher box is working
tia peter

only way i see to install display adapter is toslide out the sysem board-the ezel appears to be on continuous cage with system board sliding ino on bottom

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:24 am 

It's been a while since I've installed an FPA, but if you mean the entire system board face plate when you say bezel, I don't think it's necessary to remove the bezel from an R5 <or R5200>.

Take a look at the link with the instructions for installing the Flat Panel Monitor Adapter <linked in my last post>.

Ignore any instructions that are specific to the "O2 R10000 Class Workstations" <the illustrations of a perforated PCI tray are specific *only* to O2's with an R10000 series processor - skip over those>.

Follow the only those instruction lated for the "O2 R5000 Class Workstations" <with R5000 based O2s, you don't have to remove the entire system board face plate to extract the PCI Tray - there's a lever that will release the R5000 PCI Tray>

Attachments:
R5K.removing.pci.tray.1.bw.gif
R5K.removing.pci.tray.1.bw.gif [ 8.13 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:26 am 

The fpa is a little niggly to fit. You've got to squirm and push it a little. And no, you don't have to take off the black plastic face plate ... altho it seems to me I did that once, trying to get the &^%$ thing to go in. They don't just slide in easily, so don't be worried if you have a little trouble.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:33 am 

You don't have to remove the system board to install the FPA. Just be careful and be patient, and you can get it in. Don't force anything.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:01 am 

problem is there is a presentation adapter in the slot and i have to remove it-- the front edge of the resentation aadbpter is fush with the metal ledge where the images say put the anti static band--there is no way to lift the presentation adapter up as the ledge prevents it--its going to take serious manhandleing to remove the presentation adapter-les see what happens
my there machines are off line and this pos is totally useless even to type noless upload some phots
take cae
peter

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:23 am 

hamei wrote:
The fpa is a little niggly to fit. You've got to squirm and push it a little. And no, you don't have to take off the black plastic face plate ... altho it seems to me I did that once, trying to get the &^%$ thing to go in. They don't just slide in easily, so don't be worried if you have a little trouble.

I disagree. Take out the two screws and unplug the mainboard connection (lift up on the side far away from the bezel), it should pretty much fall out. At least the 1600sw adapter does, not sure about the presenter.

It might need a little bit of wiggling but certainly no force.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:39 am 

sybrfreq wrote:
I disagree. Take out the two screws and unplug the mainboard connection (lift up on the side far away from the bezel), it should pretty much fall out. At least the 1600sw adapter does ... .

Mine was probably tweaked. It did cross the Pacific jammed into my carry-on then got smuggled thru Customs :D

Unread postPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:36 am 

go it!!!
had to remove fogsm the replacement adapter the grounding spring
and the face plate that has the display logo--fit was perfect after that.
one thing --i am convienced that SGI used a non standard screw thread as my metric and american hread screws did not fit-Kodak camera did he same thing

anyway thaks for all your help
next chanlanges is to see if my o2 boots