[Fuel] Both SCSI buses show 15 ghost devices

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bkd

[Fuel] Both SCSI buses show 15 ghost devices

Unread postby bkd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:43 am

I think this is continue to this thread - "http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16728289".

Story: my friend bought some time ago two Fuels in relatively good condition. Both are first revisions (2002). Both have equal configuration (as I can tell) but with SCSI there is something wrong with one machine (in reality of course there are only HDD and CDROM and 15/15 ghosts on each bus). As I written above it shows that all channels populated by two devices - 16 by equal hard drives and 16 by equal cdroms. Machine successfully (but slow) starts, read CDs (slow again). On the IRIX desktop thre are 16 HDDs and 16 CDROMs. Below are the pictures (HyperTerminal under WinXP). Can someone help me with this? I thought about next things - there is something wrong with SCSI controller (maybe its firmware), bad SGI SCSI cable or maube all of that keep in mind old motherboard revision. Can L1 firmware fix this or only PROM update? If this is terminator related thing where should I attach it? SGI cable had a terminator on its end. Version of PROM if I am not mistaken is 6.170 (august 2003). Version of L1 is early 2002, exact number I don't remember correctly, something around 1.10.
Attachments
44.jpg
33.jpg
22.jpg
11.jpg

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: [Fuel] Both SCSI buses show 15 ghost devices

Unread postby uunix » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:51 am

SCSI ID Conflict?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:56 pm

uunix wrote:SCSI ID Conflict?

More specifically: you've set a device to the ID of the SCSI controller.

In the PC world, the controller is usually ID #7, and the boot disk is #0.
In MIPS/IRIX systems, the controller is ID #0, and the boot disk is ID#1
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

bkd

Unread postby bkd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for answers. We'll try it. It seems that all four (DVD-ROM, HDD and both SCSI controllers) devices have the same ID, that is - "0"? Right?

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:29 am

This typically happens if the original owner of the system yanked the disk before disposing of it, and the new owner put in a SCSI disk from a PC without setting the SCSI ID of the disk to 1. Then both controller and disk have ID #0, and you get the behavior you're seeing.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

bkd

Unread postby bkd » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:15 am

You were right. It was ID conflict. I changed both devices IDs to 1 and it works now. Thank you.

PS: I don't want to create one more thread and want to ask you here [before my question I made a search through all forum and found varied answers] - in that our Fuel most annoying thing about sound level is PSU (as I told you earlier it has early revision and power of 430 watt). That thing at machine start has more comfortable RPMs then after 10-15 minutes of work -> 3200 RPM. It is high and clearly audible. In our case it holds RPM or take them up only (not down). Is there is a way to low them? Env. monitoring is off at the moment because machine worked after power on about 30 seconds and then L1 power it off. Today I update L1 to 1.24.8. Can L1 low RPM of PSU? What about 2nd revision of PSU (460W)? Does it has same problems or it can adjust its fan RPMs?

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:30 pm

It's not possible to change the fan speeds that I know of, but you can replace the fans. I did that in my Fuel, and it's a lot quieter as a result. Just make sure to use a fan that can still shift a fair amount of airflow as the PSU does get a bit toasty. Search around here and you'll find a few threads about changing these.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Mark_G

Unread postby Mark_G » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:18 pm

It was ID conflict. I changed both devices IDs to 1 and it works now. Thank you.

As far as I understand, every SCSI device needs his own unique number.
I think that your HD must be ID #1 and the DVD-ROM #2.

Check also the termination on the SCSI chain.

Mark

bkd

Unread postby bkd » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Trippynet, okay I'll do a search about that. I.e. even on latest revision of Fuel L1 only monitor PSU PRM values and not control them? What about other fans in the system? And PSU fan speed totally unconrollable (even by PSU itself) and only can increase to some limit, right?
Mark, you are right, BUT there are TWO SCSI buses and as far as I understand on these two independent SCSI controllers HDD and CDROM can simultaneously have the same ID, for example "1". What do you think about that?

Return to “SGI: Hardware”