Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: x86
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:58 pm 

I was lucky in that respect. I have a very varied history when it comes to computers and I have used at various times over 50 different systems (and owned 23 at peak) from the old 8 bit to 16 then to 32 and now to a proud 64. But Win and x86 were never in there (save one 8086 single board machine from ´79).

I am happy where I am now, and when my friends ask, what I can do with my "non-Win" Octane, I fire it up and their jaws drop.

Hehe... I like that last part.

(this has become one enormously long thread)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:10 pm 

I will say that there is still a small portion of x86 hardware that I find worth having/using, but it's usually part of a machine that costs in the same neighborhood as a new Sun or SGI. I'm talking about the high end workstations from HP, or the server from Dell, HP/Compaq, and such. When you have machines that start doing 8 way bank interlieves on the memory and redundant VRMs, you know that it's far from the normal hum drum crap.

Just to prove a point to a customer the other day, I priced out a nice dual P4 xeon workstation from HP. He wanted to get a P4 system that was dual proc for 3D modeling and coding. I was trying to prove a point that the store I worked at couldn't compare with something like that. The thing turned out to be in the $15,000 neighborhood. But, if I was going to run a nice x86, that's about the quality I'd expect. That price also included the 24/7 4 hour response time on-site service, but that only added a mere $299 to the overall price.

But that is STILL a very small portion of the x86 stuff, you don't see too many of these things around, you know.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:31 am 

I still use older x86 hardware, say early p3's or late model p2's; for serving mostly, because you can pick up machines for dirt cheap and the hardware is pretty relaible. My fileserver runs off an older Dell 550, headless, running Slackware. The processors run slower but generate less heat (No CPU / mother board / case fans to replace every 6 months).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:40 am 

I still use x86 hardware because I really don't have many choices. I'm a college student fishing pennies out of the com sci building's elevator shaft. Old I2s and O2s are more around my available price range, but they can't play videos (most notably, DVDs) too well. And Mozilla just can't move at all on my R10k stations. Not to mention that I'm a semi-avid gamer tethered to coimmercial applications. So untill Transgaming releases XWine for IRIX and Loki's games get ported, and I get a sweet R16k Fuel station, I'll always be using x86.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:19 am 

nekonoko wrote:
..I asked how much a V6 board was going for over there and was quoted $1500 including carrier. Not bad, considering an MXE seems to run $1475 at Reputable (SSE $650, XIO carrier $75, 2 TRAMS $375 each). Still more than I can afford at the moment though :(

Those V-series boards are pretty amazing.

Post subject: Drool..
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:02 am 

This month an MXI, the next a PVO, after that a Octane 250 MHz with SE.. the list goes on. Maybe we should rename this thread to "Drool over hardware". :)

Nuh, seriously, I can´t wait for your report semi. You still going down there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:01 pm 

Let's get back to the topic then ;-)
Code:
An error occured while loading http://mashie.glassbil.net/casemods/oenone01.htm:

Unknown host mashie.glassbil.net

Anyone got a mirror? I haven't seen it yet :.(

Post subject: Re: Drool..
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hakimoto wrote:
This month an MXI, the next a PVO, after that a Octane 250 MHz with SE.. the list goes on. Maybe we should rename this thread to "Drool over hardware". :)

I just wrote Tim to ask about R12K/360MHz CPU prices. Kind of a funny story: I was planning on buying one on eBay ... a seller there posted one up for $450 (or $465 Buy It Now!). The seller also charges $14 shipping (a lot for such a small item). Well I'd been watching this seller's goods for about a month now, and I knew that the last time he'd posted this CPU at this price no one bid on it at all. So I figure I have a good shot at it at the base price of $450 (hence free shipping). I bid up $465 (the Buy It Now! price) for good measure.

Two days before the auction closes the same seller puts another CPU R12K/360MHz CPU up, same deal $450/$465 Buy It Now. So there are two of these CPUs on eBay now.

Two minutes before the auction ended I'm outbid ... someone decides it's worth $470, leaving the $465 Buy It Now (from the same seller!) alone. Fishy, fishy! I'm wondering if this was to get me to pay the full price. So ... I decided I should probably see how much NovaStar sells it for before playing this insane game anyway :)

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:53 pm 

Hakimoto wrote:

I'm going to TRY next week, if not the week after. I already talked with my boss, and he'll allow me to leave at 3:00 pm so I'll have plenty of time to browse. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:28 pm 

whiter wrote:
Let's get back to the topic then ;-)
Code:
An error occured while loading http://mashie.glassbil.net/casemods/oenone01.htm:

Unknown host mashie.glassbil.net

Anyone got a mirror? I haven't seen it yet :.(

It's moved to:

http://www.mashie.org/casemods/oenone01.html

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This was brought up on IRC; not an SGI case mod, but still very unique - ERN001-PC:

http://www4.justnet.ne.jp/~kat/pc/ern/ern001.htm

... and the RX-78 Gundam PC:

http://www4.justnet.ne.jp/~kat/pc/rx-78pc/rx-78pc.htm

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 1:36 pm 

I hadn't seen the second one jet.
These are some pretty cool mods.

Actualy not case-mods, but case-creates :-)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:05 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
... I decided I should probably see how much NovaStar sells it for before playing this insane game anyway :)

I hear you on that one. I decided to order a box from Novastar and pay the extra $40-$50 rather than take my chances on Ebay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:04 pm 

Here's an attempt to make this topic have a second life...

Now you can put a iMac into a O2 case...

http://www.visualize.homeip.net/%7Evws_ ... allery.htm

If i remember well, it's the fourth O2 this guy uses.

Do you think he has something against O2? :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:50 pm 

It looks like this guy might be hel bent on doing those poor litle toasters, but I have to admit that the "Mac in a Box (cube)" is an interesting hack for sure. Anyone can jam crappy PC parts into something, but to cram one proprietary hardware set into another completely different proprietary system is a whole new level to the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next