Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:52 pm 

If it works ok I can definitely with a few nicks and scratches. I mean, really though; it's not like people are going to set up an sgi machine as a center piece for the living room. "Oh, this vintage here is a 1998 dual 250 megahertz sgi Octane complete with coustom light bar modification, finished off with a eye-catching yet pleasantly warm install of Irix 6.5.17."

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nekonoko wrote:
I'm actually very curious as to whether the company he works for is willing to sell Octane front panel plastics since mine are kind of broken. Reputable wants a lot of $$$ for spare plastics, and to think that they might be throwing them away ...

Well I contacted the company (Novastar Solutions) and got some quotes on front bezel/door combinations.

$50 for Octane1 (green) old SGI cube logo
$75 for Octane1 (green) new SGI logo and Octane2 (blue)

Note that I was quoted $100 for just the drive door assembly (no front bezel included) from Reputable (original Octane1 design), so these prices are pretty good.

I ordered a $75 Octane1 bezel/door with new SGI logo on Friday.

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:03 am 

Quote:
I ordered a $75 Octane1 bezel/door with new SGI logo on Friday.

But the old logo looks much better... Oh well, what ever you like better anyways.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:17 am 

humm $25 for a logo... :?

Anyway I was just wondering why my Octane have a new logo front panel, but the label behind the machine have the old one?!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:36 am 

nekonoko wrote:
Well I contacted the company (Novastar Solutions) and got some quotes on front bezel/door combinations.

I just contacted C.J. from novastar and he's going to give me a tour of the sgi warehouse; he informed me that they have over 500 Octanes in stock right now (including Octane 2's), and tons of extra sgi Octane/O2/I2 hardware. I can't wait! :D

(Better leave the credit cards at home!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

semi-fly wrote:
nekonoko wrote:

I just contacted C.J. from novastar and he's going to give me a tour of the sgi warehouse; he informed me that they have over 500 Octanes in stock right now (including Octane 2's), and tons of extra sgi Octane/O2/I2 hardware. I can't wait! :D

(Better leave the credit cards at home!)

Cool! I asked how much a V6 board was going for over there and was quoted $1500 including carrier. Not bad, considering an MXE seems to run $1475 at Reputable (SSE $650, XIO carrier $75, 2 TRAMS $375 each). Still more than I can afford at the moment though :(

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:26 am 

Yeah, the largest used sgi dealer in the U.S (or so they claim) sitting right under my nose, 20 minutes up US 23 from my house. heh. Actually, I tend to believe them, as they apparently have contracts with the Auto companys (Ford, GM etc.) to remove/upgrade/replace existing unix hardware. Novastars' prices are lower then reputable, and everyone I talked with was extreamly cool: "Sure, come on down anytime, we'll show ya around the shop and warehouse". Hmm, maybe I should bring my Resume and apply for a job. :wink:

Post subject: Job at NovaStar...
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:21 am 

Tell me about it, semi, I would love to work in a company that has sales people THIS cool. And the prices... aaaah! (Payday where are you...)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:41 am 

That would be sweet to work there, the down side is I'd never get paid. I'd owe each paycheck to them. :wink:

I'm gonna have to give them a call and get soem price quotes for my next SGI. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:36 am 

No kidding.
NOTICE: WILL WORK FOR SPARE SGI HARDWARE AND EQUIPMENT.

Post subject: Junkies...
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:59 am 

Are we hardware junkies or what?!!

Post subject: Re: Junkies...
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:22 am 

:roll: Yep, and now that I know there is such a place in Livonia, I think I'll be much more excited about visiting family... :D :D :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:32 am 

Yep. I'm going to try to get over there next week, as I'll have to leave work early. I plan to grab a SSE board and maybe a decent 19' inch sgi monitor (I like the black ones).

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:41 am 

Hakimoto wrote:
Are we hardware junkies or what?!!

I'll say! I used to think that all the x86 based stuff was the coolest thing ever, but then I started hanging out with orion and he was showing me what other architectures had to offer. I was sold, period. That's when i fell in love with SGI and the the quality of higher end machines that were designed for specific tasks and roles.

After taht i ended up getting into SGI, of course, Mac, Alpha, PA-RISC, Sparc, .... The list keeps going. I really enjoy being able to handle hardware that is in the kind of catagory that these all are. The basic, cheap crap stuff you fid at the PeeCee stores are so bland and flavorless compared to this stuff.

I would love to be involved in the desgning if the SGI cases. That would be a sweet job. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:43 pm 

Shtoink wrote:

The basic, cheap crap stuff you fid at the PeeCee stores are so bland and flavorless compared to this stuff.

I couldn't aggree more. I just got too frustrated with the x86 line, which led to my search for alternate hardware plattforms (although I'll never tire of complaining about wintel!). :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next