Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:04 am 

I was checking out my new / Hakimoto's old Personal Iris last night and when I checked the little fan in the E-module, I noticed two wires coming from the CPU heatsink. Upon closer inspection, I believe I'm looking at a Peltier cooler.

Did SGI ever install these in a 4D/35, or am I looking at a one-off hack here? I'm not even sure it's an improvement in this case, because the Peltier itself also consumes electricity, thus creates heat, and the 4D/35 already can't move enough air to cool everything properly.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:57 am 

Quote:
Upon closer inspection, I believe I'm looking at a Peltier cooler.

Interesting! Could you post a photo?
I've sold my 4D/35 years ago, but AFAIR there was only a cheap small fan, like from the i486-era, on the CPU.

Michael

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:11 am 

I don't think peltiers were around when the 4D's came out, were they?

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am 

msunix wrote:
Quote:
Upon closer inspection, I believe I'm looking at a Peltier cooler.

Interesting! Could you post a photo?
I've sold my 4D/35 years ago, but AFAIR there was only a cheap small fan, like from the i486-era, on the CPU.

The fan is on the lid of the E-module. That's why I opened it -- if it dies the CU can overheat. This one was dead btw. The fan is an Elina which suggests it's orginal, but it's completely useless because it cannot such air from anywhere since it's against the lid on one side :? My other 4D/35 has a different fan model but even then I don't think it does much more than stir the air up a little.
Attachment:
crappy-fan.jpg
crappy-fan.jpg [ 57.32 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

CPU heatsink removed, exposing the peltier element:
Attachment:
peltier-cpu1.jpg
peltier-cpu1.jpg [ 89.36 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

Same, heatsink put back (clip not in place). Notice the difference in colour of the heatsink.
Attachment:
peltier-cpu2.jpg
peltier-cpu2.jpg [ 116.54 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

The peltier is installed nicely: the cable is kept in place with a tiewrap, and with a drop of glue in other places, like the fixup wires you find on nearly all SGI PCBs
kshuff wrote:
I don't think peltiers were around when the 4D's came out, were they?

Dunno, I seem to remember back in the days when a 33MHz 80486 was the fastest you could buy, there were companies overclocking them to 50MHz, which required special cooling. But I forgot what, could be water or a peltier.

Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:59 pm 

That's most definitely a peltier unit. I've got a couple of loose ones that are identical in size/color/etc. If there was any doubt, you could look at the side of the peltier sandwich. If there's bunches of little square columns in the middle (the junctions) then you've got a winner.

If you'll pardon the pun, that's very cool. :) Somehow I think that it's a non-oem hack. I've hacked up stuff like that before and detailed it out neatly. It doesn't take long to tack wires with hot melt or lace up wires in a bundle. Plus, if SGI had done it oem, then that peltier would have been way too simple. It would have needed heat pipes, fluoroliquid, and some dilithium crystals.

Nice pictures!

mike

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 am 

Seeing the topic i suspected JJ to be hacking away at a machine again, apparently this time he's the hackee instead of hacker :P
Wonder why SGI ever brought out this equipment while the cooling was so clearly inadequate.
The panel-mounted fan was really just here to stir the air around the CPU and prevent a hotspot from building up, nothing more :?
My PI's gone for some time now, the power supply's caps were dead, and the last time it took 50-60 on/off cycles before it powered up...couldn't be bothered about changing caps as i also had a pristine Indigo to play with, and the PI's PSU was really tough to dismantle (gave it a try).

1 Indigo R3k-33 32MB XS24-Z;
1 Indy R5k-180 256MB XZ;
1 Indy R4k-175 64MB XL;
2 Indigo2 R10k-195 512MB MaxImpact;
2 Indigo2 R4k-200 256MB (XL+Extreme);
2 Octane Dual R12K-300 1024MB (MXI+V6).

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:19 pm 

UrbanHero wrote:
Seeing the topic i suspected JJ to be hacking away at a machine again, apparently this time he's the hackee instead of hacker :P
Wonder why SGI ever brought out this equipment while the cooling was so clearly inadequate.
The panel-mounted fan was really just here to stir the air around the CPU and prevent a hotspot from building up, nothing more :?
My PI's gone for some time now, the power supply's caps were dead, and the last time it took 50-60 on/off cycles before it powered up...couldn't be bothered about changing caps as i also had a pristine Indigo to play with, and the PI's PSU was really tough to dismantle (gave it a try).

I had one like that also, a 4D/35, that I thought was the switch. You had to flick it on and off anywhere between 20 and 50 times to get it to power up. After replacing the switch I realized it was the power supply. What a PITA it was to dismantle that machine. In the end I ended up stripping the parts and sold them off.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm 

If anyone needs a PI PSU, I have one my garage... also a spare set of TFLU skins.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:53 am 

In my original 4D/35, the fan inside the E-module looked like this:
Attachment:
File comment: E-module fan
new-fan.jpg
new-fan.jpg [ 38.71 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]

I'm sure it still doesn't do much except causing some turbulence though.

Here's what you get if you mix & match the best parts of my original 4D/35 and Hakimoto's 4D/35:
Attachment:
File comment: Maxed out Personal Iris 4D/35
eclipse.jpg
eclipse.jpg [ 184.34 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

Rather maxed out: 128MB RAM, GR1.5 graphics with all options (24bpp, Z buffer and Turbo), video framer with breakout box and cables. And pristine skins, of course. I care about that :) The cables of the VideoFramer BOB also work with the VideoLab option in my 4D/380 VGX so I'll be able to try that one as well. The CD-ROM is a Toshiba XM-3401, single speed and hacked to be SGI bootable (this is done by cutting a trace on the PCB).

I'm left with two 4D/35's now, one totally maxed out and one pretty nice still (64MB RAM, 24bpp gfx, and of course the Peltier cooler). Not sure what I'll do with the second 4D/35, I could sell it but I'd hate to have something break next year only to realize I've given away all spare parts for a couple of bucks.

Anybody know what software supports the VideoFramer?