Help wanted - O2 dead!

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
muller

Help wanted - O2 dead!

Unread postby muller » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:06 am

Hi,

I have two 180 MHz R5k O2, both are dead :( Nothing happens, no sound,
no fan, no video. I have tried to replace the Dallas chip with a new
one, but nothing happens. (I don't think its the powersupply). Any
suggestions?

/Muller

ShadeOfBlue

Unread postby ShadeOfBlue » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:32 am

Have you tried placing that little jumper in front of the Dallas chip into ON position?

After doing that, put the motherboard back in and connect the cables. When you connect the power cable, the machine should power on by itself. Then go to the command monitor and type "off", you should get some messages that the power supply didn't shut down, ignore those and pull out the power cable, place the jumper back into OFF position and you should have a working O2 :)

This was all that was necesarry to revive my O2 (175MHz R10000) when it failed to power on one day...

Hope this helps,
Andrej.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:09 am

One of the two O2s I received from Industrial Light & Magic had to be revived the same way. Been working fine ever since.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Jodeman

dead O2

Unread postby Jodeman » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:34 am

If it's not the power supply. It's possible that it's a motherboard that's causing the dead O2.

Service call just earlier this week, I revived an O2 with a swap of a motherboard. Tried the power supply first and then the power cord.

Jodeman
--
http://sgi.mesa-sys.com
http://www.bbsolutions.com/jodeman

muller

O2 Alive!!!

Unread postby muller » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:55 pm

ShadeOfBlue wrote:Have you tried placing that little jumper in front of the Dallas chip into ON position?

Yes, yes, yes! Thanks! This did the trick :)

/Muller

miunk

Unread postby miunk » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:04 pm

Just to make sure, is the "ON" position just nothing on the jumper at all? I am looking at 2 prongs and a 2 prong "cover". So I assume that if I remove the cover, we are at "ON"? Thanks.

chicago-joe

Unread postby chicago-joe » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:30 pm

miunk wrote
Just to make sure, is the "ON" position just nothing on the jumper at all? I am looking at 2 prongs and a 2 prong "cover". So I assume that if I remove the cover, we are at "ON"? Thanks.

When the jumper is across the 2 pins it is "on" , when it is not it is "off". In day to day use, the jumper would NOT be across the 2 pins.

Joe

miunk

Unread postby miunk » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:41 pm

Hmm, tried starting it up with "POWER UP" jumper across 2 pins and still nothing, it was just across a single pin when I found it. Would the type of mouse, keyboard, vga have anything to do with it? I would imagine the fan would spin, or the led would light up or something. I have used this mouse and keyboard with an O2 in the past without a problem. But I do have it hooked up to the 1600sw via the vga plug and the multilink adapter... I doubt this would be a problem...

miunk

Unread postby miunk » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:57 pm

I got a hold of another PSU and swapped it in. Still no luck. What options do I have left? What else can I do?

chicago-joe

Unread postby chicago-joe » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:34 pm

Is this a R5K or R10K based O2?

Unplug the power cord and remove the MB assy, make sure the cpu board is on tight, check the memory modules for the same thing.

Do you have a second computer you can connect to the serial port as a terminal? (a windows machine with HyperTerm?) If so, remove the multilink adapter, keyboard, mouse and memory, plug a null modem cable from the computer with the terminal program running to serial port 1 on the O2, power up and see if you can boot to the terminal.

Joe

miunk

Unread postby miunk » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:55 pm

R5K, I picked it up for the CPU module, which is supposed to be the 300Mhz. The machine has the new logo on the front. I will need to pick up the seral cable, as I don't have one. You think there is still hope to connect via serial port even though no led light or anything? I will try to test tomorrow. Thanks.

miunk

Unread postby miunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:21 pm

Good news! I am the idiot of the week! :oops: Simply using the clip without a firm push to accompany it was causing the mainboard slot to be slightly misaligned -- something that I didn't notice until today. All is well and the O2 boots up normally. One thing I did notice is that running diagnostics or installing system software always looks at scsi(0).disk(1), so if I have the hard drive in the slot closest to the a/v module, it is recognized as scsi(0).disk(2) and I get errors even trying to install new software. Is there a command that can change this?

What I have done in the mean time is simply use the other 80 pin SCSI slot. Apparently the "shim" piece that is meant to be removed if upgrading to an r10k board is slightly misaligned, so I cannot get the hard disk properly connected without taking out the screws on the bottom, allowing the shim to be pushed all the way to the back instead of protruding out a bit.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:28 pm

miunk wrote: One thing I did notice is that running diagnostics or installing system software always looks at scsi(0).disk(1), so if I have the hard drive in the slot closest to the a/v module, it is recognized as scsi(0).disk(2) and I get errors even trying to install new software. Is there a command that can change this?

You should be able to change this from the prom command prompt. Try a 'printenv' and then 'setenv' the new boot drive values.
All Rights Reserved.

miunk

Unread postby miunk » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:00 pm

Thanks. I also notice from hinv that not all of my ram sticks are being recognized. I could unplug and re-plug all of them, but would like to focus my attention. I read the man page for hinv, but cannot seem to find a per-bank inventory of the memory, is it possible to get such information from irix?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:06 pm

O2 doesn't report per-bank memory - some other IRIX systems (like O200 for example) are able to do this though.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”