DM10 hacking

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ruckusman

DM10 hacking

Unread postby ruckusman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:43 pm

Trying to push the envelope here...

I pickced an Adaptec AFW 8300 cheap ($11 Aus) and I'm trying to see if I can hack the DM10 driver and change the PCI device ID from 0x8204 for the AFW 4300 to 0x8025 for the AFW 8300. The vendor device ID is obviously the same.

Using the old Adaptec 2940 to 2944 hack as a guide, but I can't seem to find where the PCI device ID is coming from.

I've checked all of the installed DM10 files, libfw.so.1 in both /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64.

One thing I did notice is that in /usr/cpu/sysgen/IP30boot there is another file created called fire.a which is referenced in some of the installed files fireglue.sm and fireiidc.sm

in the fire.a there is fw.o and csr.o, neither has the 0x8024 PCI device ID.

neither
/usr/cpu/sysgen/IP30boot/fireglue.o

or

/usr/cpu/sysgen/IP30boot/fireiidc.o contain the device ID unless I've missed it

I know this is probably way too ambitious and naive to actually work, but I thought it was worth a shot :D

any clues on where else to look?? Am I looking for the right strings even?

loonvf

Unread postby loonvf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:20 am

Hi Ruckusman,

I am very interested in such thing as changing PCI device ID !
I have a real Solectron FireWire card, alsmost identical as the
O2 FireWire card only it has the TIx23 chip and not the TIx22.
I know that the 22 chip works and the 23 is the same (except som minor updates and a different PCI device ID ) but if I can change that software
part, I am 99% sure that I have a working FireWire solution on my O2!

I have already been thinking about replacing the 23 chip with a 22 but that 22 chip is very rare and extremely hard to find.

So please let me know if you find a way.

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:46 am

This didn't work out unfortunately, the AFW 8300 is a two chip chipset, whereas the AFW 4300 is a single chip.

It would however be worth trying on single chip boards.

What I did discover was that the PCI device ID is inside fw.o which is inside the fire.a archive.

It was in the hex values, whereas I was searching in the ASCII values, D'OH!!

I only changed 8024 values that were in close proximity to 104C values which is the vendor ID for TI. There were three.

So that should be a good starting point for anyone wanting to try and hack the driver for other TI chipsets.

The driver would load and give errors, so I was on the right track at least.

I did begin to understand the anatomy of the firewire driver, at least what components are used to actually make the driver.

Another thing I did come across whilst searching is that UDF support was ported from one f the *BSD's to Irix, FreeBSD for memory, so I'm a liltte bit more enthusiastic about attempting to port USB drivers from one of the BSD's...maybe totally facniful know.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:45 pm

loonvf wrote:Hi Ruckusman,

I am very interested in such thing as changing PCI device ID !
I have a real Solectron FireWire card, alsmost identical as the
O2 FireWire card only it has the TIx23 chip and not the TIx22.
I know that the 22 chip works and the 23 is the same (except som minor updates and a different PCI device ID ) but if I can change that software
part, I am 99% sure that I have a working FireWire solution on my O2!

I have already been thinking about replacing the 23 chip with a 22 but that 22 chip is very rare and extremely hard to find.

So please let me know if you find a way.

Hello Francois; I think the Solectron card is intended to be used as an alternative DVLink for O2 boxes, but it is not related at all with the DM10 driver. Probably you'll be able to use the technique that Ruckusman is using above, but I think you'll have to find the right files to do it.

mia

Unread postby mia » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:07 pm

I looked into this about 1.5 years ago, I've removed what appears to be an eeprom on this (solectron) card and placed it on an eeprom reader, looking for the pciid, but unfortunately I haven't found it on this eeprom, then I've decided to boot the card without this eeprom, and the pciid was still there, making me think that it's hardcoded on the ti chip itself and not on the eeprom. It's surprising.

So in other words, you can't make it work by modifying the card itself, you have to modify the driver.... But there's no point for this as the red adaptec works just fine for me, I've recently picked up a second one on ebay for $3.

Mia

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:08 am

Modifying the driver is actaully pretty easy, the hard part is getting a single TI chip firewire board that is compatible with the driver.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”