Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oskar45 wrote:
Hmm - does that mean, if you shut off monitoring on the L1, the box would not die even if the voltage gets too low???

That's correct.

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:21 am 

nekonoko wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
Hmm - does that mean, if you shut off monitoring on the L1, the box would not die even if the voltage gets too low???

That's correct.

If that's so, there seems then to be no need in this case to get a new mobo... :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oskar45 wrote:
If that's so, there seems then to be no need in this case to get a new mobo... :P

Pretty much ... as hamei said, he's been running his Fuel (which has the same problem) for two years without an issue :)

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:05 am 

nekonoko wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:

Pretty much ... as hamei said, he's been running his Fuel (which has the same problem) for two years without an issue :)

OK... as I already got a new mobo, I'll ask my local SGI support to take it back again and give me my old one :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oskar45 wrote:
OK... as I already got a new mobo, I'll ask my local SGI support to take it back again and give me my old one :)

Heh, I wouldn't do that in your case as you're entitled, but for others it's a handy tip that can keep otherwise dead machines alive ;)

So far my Fuel hasn't exhibited this problem (fingers crossed) ...

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 am 

hamei wrote:
Didn't mean to come off as quite so negative about the Fuel

Must be too much Highland Park on my side - but I seem to recall from various other threads that, depending on your mood, you were occasionally a bit more positive about the Fuel. Anyway, might be OT for the nonce, but, in your impeccable Far Eastern Wisdom, what would *you* think is the computer equivalent of what we call in German "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" [for the few non-German speakers on Nekochan, it's only "the sow, which lays eggs, provides you wool, and gives you milk" - i.e., gives you everything] :?: :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:30 am 

nekonoko wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:

Heh, I wouldn't do that in your case as you're entitled [skip]So far my Fuel hasn't exhibited this problem (fingers crossed) ...

Well, I was only joking :D :D :D And long live your Fuel :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:12 pm 

Oskar45 wrote:
... what would *you* think is the computer equivalent of what we call in German "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" ...

An updated Octane would be tits. Tezro guts in an Octane package ? That would make a very nice desktop, imo.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:55 am 

I am sorry, but it is not a question of a buggy environmental monitor.
When my Fuel began flooding me with warning messages about the +5V line exceeding 5.5V, I checked the voltage with a precision voltmeter and found it was absolutely true.
The voltage kept increasing with time and now, after approx. 10 days, my Fuel no longer powers up: the +5V line exceeds 6V and the machine aborts the power-up and shuts down by itself.
In other words, the power supply is gone - and I *really* hope the voltage has not fried up any other part of the circuitry in the process.

Now, is there anyone knowing (a) how to repair it (this info is available for the PSU of the Indy...), or (b) where to get another?
The only supplier I know of asks 550 US$ from a new one - more than I paid for the whole thing.

By the way, I really love (loved?) my Fuel. Its build quality is not comparable to my Octane, but is anyway a good performer.

Thank you!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:35 am 

Obelix wrote:
I am sorry, but it is not a question of a buggy environmental monitor.[...] By the way, I really love (loved?) my Fuel.

I believe you are right. Seems that the algorithm used for checking said voltage is faulty, giving occasionally wrong results...And, by all means, continue to love your Fuel - it's a GREAT box, even if a few others over here ridicule it when ever they can (well, I love mine nevertheless) :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:46 am 

hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
... what would *you* think is the computer equivalent of what we call in German "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" ...
An updated Octane would be tit.

Precisely what updates have you in mind?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:20 am 

Obelix wrote:
I am sorry, but it is not a question of a buggy environmental monitor.
When my Fuel began flooding me with warning messages about the +5V line exceeding 5.5V, I checked the voltage with a precision voltmeter and found it was absolutely true.

Looks as if your warnings were different from what the rest of us are/were getting. Pretty sure I was also getting the 1.5v up-and-down warnings that Oskar45 saw. Your power supply should be fairly simple to repair; it's just a typical peecee-type switching power supply. Per my other comments on the Fuel, one would expect a $550 power supply to last more than a few years. I don't think the Fuel is a bad computer - it's just way overpriced for the quality of the components.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:31 am 

Oskar45 wrote:
hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
An updated Octane would be tits.

Precisely what updates have you in mind?

Faster memory system
faster disk system
1/4" more lateral room in the disk-drive area so that you could have a built-in DVD-ROM
support for IDE devices so that we don't have to beat our heads in to have a DVD burner
gigE built in

With the exception of the wider trays for a DVD-ROM they could have done all of it with a newer mainboard. Okay, not the IDE support, that'd have to go in a shoebox but otherwise SGI could have created a better Fuel than the Fuel by just offering a new mainboard and some red skins. Perhaps they didn't want to cannibalize Tezro sales but I doubt that would have been a problem. Perhaps it would not have been optimum but it would have resulted in a better computer, imo. Octanes are really nicely designed. The Fuel is ... uhhm, conventional. Dellishly conventional.

Post subject: SMPSU
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:04 am 

Obelix said
Quote:
Now, is there anyone knowing (a) how to repair it (this info is available for the PSU of the Indy...), or (b) where to get another?
The only supplier I know of asks 550 US$ from a new one - more than I paid for the whole thing.

Aahh- the SMPSU. Very implementation specific, and a bit of a black art.
Are you familiar at all with the theory of operations? The site at http://www.smps.us/ has much semi-technical and technical stuff, the sci.electronics.repair faq is probably the best start, http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm

Basic thing to keep in mind: on most cheap SMPSUs (the Fuel's is probably in this category, all PC supplies are), the voltage regulation reference is taken from one line and the other supplies are expected to track along with it, which they do mostly. Are the other lines also off on voltage? (often the 5v line is the reference). N.B. - DO NOT LEAVE IT PLUGGED INTO THE MAINBOARD FOR THIS TEST! it's already too high, you don't want to blow something. Jimmie the PSU on, usually there's a line that you short to ground to turn it on. Who knows? It might be a common ATX PSU- you could get a good one (e.g. Antec) and put it in. Make sure though, they aren't always the same.

Post subject: Re: SMPSU
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:25 am 

SAQ wrote:
It might be a common ATX PSU- you could get a good one (e.g. Antec) and put it in. Make sure though, they aren't always the same.

The newer 460W Fuel PSU is an EPS12V (24+8 pin for "high end" PCs) model from Fortron Source (Sparkle) - that one to be precise: http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroup ... enumber=23

I see them listed starting at 85 EUR over here. Although i have no idea if they really use the stock model or even whether the pinout is the same..

I looked up the type of the older 430W one too back then but don't find my note right now..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next