SGI Onyx 10000 - memory and serial issues

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

SGI Onyx 10000 - memory and serial issues

Unread postby MrBill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:31 am

Alright, picked this up yesterday, it looks to all be here. According to the lcd display on the front, the last time it was powered up was back in 2011.
With the keyboard mouse and monitor attached, i get the initial light blue screen showing the re's and resolution, and a couple minutes later the monitor goes blank and nothing else happens.

I do not have the proper serial cable to connect the machine to my computer at the moment to copy paste the startup messages here. The serial cable from the crimson does fit it though, so i can connect my vt100 and it works, kinda. I was initially able to get in and do a hinv and boot off the install cd that was left in the cd drive.

Lots of errors are thrown saying memory is faulty and banks are disabled. After that , many messages saying things in slots have been changed or removed.

I'm having a second bigger issue now aside from the memory issue. I can not get it to respond to the serial console anymore. It outputs everything just as it did, however, it says press enter to continue, and nothing happens when i do so now. I made sure that the terminal is set to 9600/9600 as well as test the terminal with a loop back interface, its not the terminal...

So that is where I am at. If anyone can give advice on where to go from here it would be most helpful. I am uncertain of how much memory is in the machine, but i can try looking into that tomorrow and switching things between banks to see if i can isolate where the memory problem is.

I assume this is proprietary memory, if any one has some onyx memory for sale, i'm in the market for it. Also, the audio board is missing, if someone should happen to have a spare for sale as well.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Re: SGI Onyx 10000 - memory and serial issues

Unread postby jpstewart » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 am

Make sure you re-seat the memory on the board, and all of the boards (memory and otherwise) in their slots. Things may just be loose from travel.

Also, when you're trying to use the serial console, make sure the keyboard is not connected. If a keyboard is detected most SGI's will prefer that instead of a serial console.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:45 am

MrBill wrote:Lots of errors are thrown saying memory is faulty and banks are disabled. After that , many messages saying things in slots have been changed or removed.

I'd pull the MC board and remove *all* the SIMMs. That's a nasty job on an Onyx/Challenge btw. Clean the contact edges with a cotton swab and pure alcohol. If there's a lot of fine black dust on the MC board remove that with a fine brush before you put the SIMM back in.

That will probably cure the memory problems, if you enter 'update' on the PROM prompt it will save the config and stop whining about changed configuration and moved parts.
MrBill wrote:I assume this is proprietary memory, if any one has some onyx memory for sale, i'm in the market for it.

I think I have one or two MC boards with low density SIMMs (512MB/board) but shipping is going to be killer.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am

Alright, not sure where the issue was, i moved the machine to another room and reconnected the vt100 and It is working as intended, although still with the memory errors.

Fixed couple of boot options in the prom, and it boots, to a working install from the Florida State University. Need to remove the password. First time ive ever gotten a machine where all the disks are not all failing. It came with a nice 40gb tape drive, it takes the same kind of tapes as my AS400, going to back up everything before i go taking things apart and reseting everything.

jan-jap, you mention that you have 512 mb a board.... i am showing 512 mb total for the machine, I am assuming a good percentage of the memory in my machine is disabled at the moment...

Much appreciated on the suggestion for the update command, will do. Backup battery is a dud too. Is it a standalone battery or one of those Dallas all in one things?
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 am

Oh. you wrote an article on it...

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah, there's one on the IO4 and one on the system controller. The IO4 is very thick, it's a 16 layer PCB if I remember correctly. I wasn't able to desolder anything on it, so I modified it with a CR2032 battery while it was installed on the IO4.

The Dallas on the system controller is in a socket.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 pm

I think i am just going to let it be and not risk destroying a part i can possibly not replace.

I have to set the time date and boot options. i can live with that.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”