Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 am 

I am awaiting delivery of a 250MHz CPU, and expect a reasonably plug-and-play upgrade - from techpubs, the process seems to be: remove lid & CD tray, undo screws, lift old CPU, drop in new CPU, tighten screws, reassemble and off you go.

Aside from larger cache and more MHz, it seems to be a like for like swap, and I have found no sign that this CPU is not suitable for teal I2s. However, the manual predates 250MHz CPUs, so I thought I had better check that there are no known niggles around this upgrade.

In particular, is a newer PROM likely to be needed? not sure what PROM version I have, but looking at some hinv posts, 200MHz CPUs seem to be revision 6.0 (SC 1MB or 2MB), same as a 250MHz, so I hope the answer here is no.

Hoping not to have a horror story to report!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:43 pm 

The biggest issue with the PROMS (if I recall correctly, it's been a few years since I messed with the swap) was that it wouldn't correctly list the CPU under the PROM hinv.

You need to have the patchsets and kernel rollups installed if you're going to be using it with IRIX 5.3, otherwise you get bus panics without the special 5.3 for 2MB media. 6.2/6.5 should be just fine out of the box.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 am 

Thanks - using 6.5.22 so should be OK. Now just need the CPU to turn up...

Edit: checked PROM version, 28 Sep 1995 so that looks good.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:22 pm 

Upgrade arrived and fitted, all seems fine - time to add a hinv entry!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:31 pm 

I have a quezzie on this. Being a former owner of a native 250Mhz R4400 I^2, if you get a 200Mhz jobbie and slip it a 250, is it going to get the same audio glitch as the native 250's did? THat used to be a major pita till I figured out that it needed some interrupts tickled.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 am 

SAQ wrote:
You need to have the patchsets and kernel rollups installed if you're going to be using it with IRIX 5.3, otherwise you get bus panics without the special 5.3 for 2MB media.

strangely enough it works without extra patches on IRIX 4.0.5H :|

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:02 am 

uridium wrote:
I have a quezzie on this. Being a former owner of a native 250Mhz R4400 I^2, if you get a 200Mhz jobbie and slip it a 250, is it going to get the same audio glitch as the native 250's did? THat used to be a major pita till I figured out that it needed some interrupts tickled.

Just back from hols, not ignoring your quezzie! If you can PM me details of when/how the glitch manifests itself, I can see if an upgraded 200->250 shows the same.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm 

Just leave it alone without network activity or input from keyboard/mouse and it (the 250MHz version) will freeze (play music or stare dreamily at electropaint to notice). Ping or touch to resume. Personally I think it's upgraded machines as well.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 am 

how long does that take? I honestly never noticed anything of the sort.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:01 am 

It's been a while since I had an I2, I don't remember. Time to walk to the kitchen and make a sandwich?