System specs in signature

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
JacquesT
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:50 am
Location: Somerset, UK

System specs in signature

Unread postby JacquesT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 am

Is it OK to put system specs in the signature line? Only reason I ask is because on some forums admins don't like it because it buggers up the search function...!

Ta!

Jacques.
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SE graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 am

Sure, that's not a problem - as far as I know the forum's search function doesn't look at the signature block (and a test search on "serenity" came back clean).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

JacquesT
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:50 am
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby JacquesT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks!
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SE graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

User avatar
zizban
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:59 pm
Location: Cheshire, MA
Contact:

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby zizban » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:10 am

Just don't put your hinv in your sig ;)

User avatar
Alien
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby Alien » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 am

nekonoko wrote:Sure, that's not a problem - as far as I know the forum's search function doesn't look at the signature block (and a test search on "serenity" came back clean).

The forum's search function disregards the sig, but Google doesn't. Google searches might become polluted.

.tsooJ
:Crimson: :Crimson: :O2000: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :320: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
Based on its small physical dimensions and quiet operation, the chassis fits into a normal office environment.
— Crimson Owner's Guide

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 am

Alien wrote:
nekonoko wrote:Sure, that's not a problem - as far as I know the forum's search function doesn't look at the signature block (and a test search on "serenity" came back clean).

The forum's search function disregards the sig, but Google doesn't. Google searches might become polluted.

.tsooJ


That doesn't change my position - if he wants to put his system info in a sig I have no problem with it. My site, my rules.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

User avatar
ChristTrekker
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby ChristTrekker » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:16 am

nekonoko wrote:
Alien wrote:The forum's search function disregards the sig, but Google doesn't. Google searches might become polluted.
That doesn't change my position - if he wants to put his system info in a sig I have no problem with it. My site, my rules.

True, but offering alternatives helps people make informed choices.

My personal opinion? The forums offer a user profile page. Nekochan also has a wiki, where you can create a user page. Put all your info there, and have your (short) sig link to it instead. I think courtesy would ask "why add clutter to forum pages and search results?"
Principle Over Politics : http://www.ConstitutionParty.org

User avatar
zizban
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:59 pm
Location: Cheshire, MA
Contact:

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby zizban » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:05 pm

nekonoko wrote:
Alien wrote:
nekonoko wrote:Sure, that's not a problem - as far as I know the forum's search function doesn't look at the signature block (and a test search on "serenity" came back clean).

The forum's search function disregards the sig, but Google doesn't. Google searches might become polluted.

.tsooJ


That doesn't change my position - if he wants to put his system info in a sig I have no problem with it. My site, my rules.


I agree with Neko. I've used google search on Nekochan and system specs in sigs really don't affect the search results in any significant fashion.

User avatar
hamei
Posts: 10435
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: over the rainbow

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby hamei » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:29 am

ChristTrekker wrote:The forums offer a user profile page. Nekochan also has a wiki, where you can create a user page. Put all your info there, and have your (short) sig link to it instead. I think courtesy would ask "why add clutter to forum pages and search results?"

Well, ummm ... ahem.

User avatar
Gray Fox
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sat May 10, 2008 6:00 am

His Site, His Rules. Dont piss him off. I dont want Nekochan to go down beause of some people. This place is like my second home, well something like that.

User avatar
zizban
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:59 pm
Location: Cheshire, MA
Contact:

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby zizban » Sat May 10, 2008 6:53 am

Don't worry, Nekochan is easily the friendliest forum I post on. Really, there are almost no jerks here.

User avatar
Ebbi
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:20 am
Location: South of Germany

Re: System specs in signature

Unread postby Ebbi » Sat May 10, 2008 7:36 am

zizban wrote:Really, there are almost no jerks here.

Did you call my name? Image


Return to “Nekochan Net”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests