Nekochan Blog...

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nekochan Blog...

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 pm

tomo wrote:SIO2pc is probably most useful upgrade ever. Not many peoples have still working cassetes or diskettes, so it's fine that one can download it from internet, than "share" it and run on real atari. SIO2PC made internet advantage avaiable to smallest ataris...

Atari 800XL witch I own was my first computer (made in 1982 like me), still only 64KB, but it's in working state. With plenty of documentation and some diskettes, but no disk drive :( I'll must buy one. Before some time(~3 years ago) I have happy 1050 drive and it was really faster than stock, even when classic OS/dos was used. But true advantage becomes with dos witch "knows" that upgrade.

Oh, very cool! I wish I'd kept my original computers, but they're all long gone. My first was a TI-99/4a and I do have one right now, but it's not the original I had back then.

I haven't tried it yet, but the Happy diskette includes Warp Speed DOS which is supposed to provide a nice speed boost with the Happy.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:04 pm

nekonoko wrote:I wish I'd kept my original computers, but they're all long gone.

Not sure if I ever mentioned that the first expensive computer that I bought with my own scraped up cash was an SE/30 in 1989. I gave it away around twelve years ago, and then about three years ago, the guy who had it tracked me down and gave it back to me...but with a Micron Xceed video card and an Apple 13" RGB monitor upgrade! :D

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:42 pm

josehill wrote:
nekonoko wrote:I wish I'd kept my original computers, but they're all long gone.

Not sure if I ever mentioned that the first expensive computer that I bought with my own scraped up cash was an SE/30 in 1989. I gave it away around twelve years ago, and then about three years ago, the guy who had it tracked me down and gave it back to me...but with a Micron Xceed video card and an Apple 13" RGB monitor upgrade! :D

Now that is friggin cool. I know I always ask this... but, got any pics?

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:15 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:
josehill wrote:Not sure if I ever mentioned that the first expensive computer that I bought with my own scraped up cash was an SE/30 in 1989. I gave it away around twelve years ago, and then about three years ago, the guy who had it tracked me down and gave it back to me...but with a Micron Xceed video card and an Apple 13" RGB monitor upgrade! :D

Now that is friggin cool. I know I always ask this... but, got any pics?

Nekonoko mentioned upgrading the hard drive on his SE/30, leading me to think about doing the same thing. It's also probably about time to put in a new PRAM battery, a procedure which requires pretty close to a full takeapart. When I do so, I'll document the process, with photos.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 am

At least the first computer you purchased on your own was a classic machine - after I got rid of my Commodore 64/64c, 128, VIC-20, TI-99/4a, Timex Sinclair 1000, etc. my first big computer purchase after leaving home was a Tandy 1000 EX followed shortly by a Packard Bell 286, complete with Windows 3.0 :(

Don't have those anymore either, but there's not much regret there.
All Rights Reserved.

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:06 am

nekonoko wrote:followed shortly by a Packard Bell 286, complete with Windows 3.0 :(

Don't have those anymore either, but there's not much regret there.

Oh, come now! Those were great! Had a 5.25" drive, would still run the copy of GATO that used to occupy the PCjr most of the time (Ah, there's a machine ;)). Archon stilll ran great, too. :D

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 am

GeneratriX wrote: What a shame! ...I can't understand a word! ...but the pictures are fantastic, some things there look a bit like an old 8-bit BUS computer (MIT S-100, IMSAI 8080, Altair, etc.) but I'm pretty sure those boards are more on the lines of expansion boards for some 8-bit classic consoles, right? So sad, I can't understand a word of russian.

In those pictures is actually one of the latest and advanced Spectrum clones.
Sadly it is not sold as ready made board anymore, but you can buy empty mainboard with mounting instructions and build one yourself.

Here is interesting website if you are interested about Spectrum clones. http://tarjan.uw.hu/zxclones_en.htm That board in the pictures is Pentagon 1024SL, and you can read about it there too. If you look in the gallery section you can see pictures of Pentagons built into a very familiar looking computer case....

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:16 am

nekonoko wrote:my first big computer purchase after leaving home was a Tandy 1000 EX followed shortly by a Packard Bell 286, complete with Windows 3.0 :(

It takes a strong man to admit to certain things. Much respect! :D

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:47 am

dc_v01 wrote:Oh, come now! Those were great! Had a 5.25" drive, would still run the copy of GATO that used to occupy the PCjr most of the time (Ah, there's a machine ;)). Archon stilll ran great, too. :D

The Tandy 1000 EX? Never tried GATO or Archon that I recall. I do remember playing the original MechWarrior on it though. The little blippy noises it made whenever a mech took a step were great :)
All Rights Reserved.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:05 pm

theinonen wrote:In those pictures is actually one of the latest and advanced Spectrum clones.

Yes, I see. Nice boards!

theinonen wrote:Sadly it is not sold as ready made board anymore, but you can buy empty mainboard with mounting instructions and build one yourself.

Yeap! Quoting from Tarjan's site:

Pentagon 48/128/256/512/1024/SL/Turbo wrote:In 2006, Zhabin stopped to manufacture ready made v1.4 boards, and in 2007 also stopped finished v2.2 ones. Now only can ordered empty mainboards for 800 rubles. The board is made in Zelenograd factory, with today's standard. The developer is attaching a CD-ROM along with the board, which contains mounting and installation instructions as well some games and utilies. Latest version is v2.3. At the moment, this is the ace of aces among Spectrum clones.
SL abbreviation comes later with KAY.

Looks very interesting!

theinonen wrote:Here is interesting website if you are interested about Spectrum clones. http://tarjan.uw.hu/zxclones_en.htm That board in the pictures is Pentagon 1024SL, and you can read about it there too. If you look in the gallery section you can see pictures of Pentagons built into a very familiar looking computer case....

Very nice gallery. I also like a lot the Didaktik Kompakt... and by the way, everyone with childs at home perhaps would find very interesting their whole site! Lots of sciences-kits! Take a look: Didaktik ...when I was a kid used to have many related things like the good and old 12 Volts green Mini-Tool (now are silver painted, but everything remains the same), a very complete Lionel system plenty of trains, signals and wagons... and of course, a couple electronic training kits with pluggable modules, one module for each component... you know... a little cube with pins for a transistor, another for a resistor, another for caps... and something like a protoboard with a bunch of pluggable metal segments to interconnect! ...oh!, and the U-Control airplane with the Cox .049 Baby Bee! :) ...yeap, very funny toys for any kid! It's not a surprise the kind of gadgets-oriented adult I'm now... hehehe!

Ahhh, well... the nice thing with kids is to be able to play again with the latest version from all the above! ;) (If I only would saved some of those kits for now!)

EDIT: ...well, after some quick search via Synaptic, I've installed SpectEmu on my Ubuntu box, and I was able to play Bruce Lee on a couple minutes! ...well, maybe more! :) ...what amazing sensation when loaded the *.tap file on the virtual speccy as if I were on my 14's again! :D ...very easy, just: 'aoss xspect -tap BRUCELEE.TAP', then ' LOAD ""' ', 'INTRO, 'CTRL+o', and you're done!

(Better than nothing while you get the "real thingy"!)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:10 am

GeneratriX wrote:EDIT: ...well, after some quick search via Synaptic, I've installed SpectEmu on my Ubuntu box, and I was able to play Bruce Lee on a couple minutes! ...well, maybe more! :) ...what amazing sensation when loaded the *.tap file on the virtual speccy as if I were on my 14's again! :D ...very easy, just: 'aoss xspect -tap BRUCELEE.TAP', then ' LOAD ""' ', 'INTRO, 'CTRL+o', and you're done!

Hmm, looks like SpectEmu even has IRIX sound support. I may have to see about getting that up and running.

un_ wrote:/Acorn Fanboi

Just bought a Acorn Archimedes A3010 myself :)
All Rights Reserved.

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:13 am

GeneratriX wrote:EDIT: ...well, after some quick search via Synaptic, I've installed SpectEmu on my Ubuntu box, and I was able to play Bruce Lee on a couple minutes! ...well, maybe more! :) ...what amazing sensation when loaded the *.tap file on the virtual speccy as if I were on my 14's again! :D ...very easy, just: 'aoss xspect -tap BRUCELEE.TAP', then ' LOAD ""' ', 'INTRO, 'CTRL+o', and you're done!

Emulators are fun.
Have you tried Astroball? It is not as good looking as the Sam Coupe version, but still looks very good for a Spectrum game. It is also very addictive and has incredible scroll. Rainbow Islands is also very nice on Spectrum.

nekonoko wrote:Just bought a Acorn Archimedes A3010 myself :)

Those are nice machines. I have Acorn A4000 from same time period. Sadly it is not used much, since I have some newer RISC OS computers.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:00 pm

nekonoko wrote:Hmm, looks like SpectEmu even has IRIX sound support. I may have to see about getting that up and running.

Indeed! ...I'm right now booting the Octane to try it...

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:09 pm

nekonoko wrote:Hmm, looks like SpectEmu even has IRIX sound support. I may have to see about getting that up and running.

Yes, it works. Just supress the 'aoss' prefix to execute it on IRIX. Anyway, I only tried a GCC build... and by some reason, it runs a couple orders of magnitude faster than for a middle end PeeCee. Try it to believe! :) some pictures now:

During the virtual tape loading:

SpectEmu-BruceLee-01.jpg

SpectEmu-Ms.Pac-Man-01.jpg

Already loaded:

SpectEmu-BruceLee-02.jpg

SpectEmu-Ms.Pac-Man-02.jpg

Ready to play!:

SpectEmu-BruceLee-03.jpg

SpectEmu-Ms.Pac-Man-03.jpg

Return to “Nekochan Net”