How can we encourage better group participation on this site?

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
Irinikus

How can we encourage better group participation on this site?

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am

During the past couple of months, I couldn't have helped but notice, members of this site selling off the last of their SGI gear.

It's is a worrying trend!

We need to find a way to attract new young members to this site.

I would like to hear the inputs from other members on this subject!

My input may sound like pure heresy considering that most of the members on this site absolutely loathe PeeCee.

But here's my two cents anyway!

If you take a look around YouTube, it doesn't take you very long to notice the amount of views the channels that involve PC's are getting!

In my case, I have always been a PC user, especially for gaming. My primary interest in computers has always been towards the graphics side!
Besides, having seen the O2 when I was younger (sparking off my interest in SGI) Graphics Cards have always been my primary interest and as a result, it was only logical for me to start dabbling in SGI, as SGI was the beginning of everything as far as Graphics Cards are concerned!

As far as SGI gear featuring on YouTube is concerned, the review of the Indigo2 by LGR has an enormous amount of views!
The people primarily watching the LGR channel are PC users and their comments regarding the Indigo 2 are favorable!

Therefore my suggestion is: that a new forum is opened under the "Other Platforms" heading where members can discuss PC Graphics.
Over time, this would more than likely attract new members to this site and once they join the site, their attention would also be turned to the vintage platforms represented here!

As far as I'm concerned, "Computer People" love computers, whether they are new or old, so you just need a method of showing the likes of SGI machines to the youngsters of today, and the rest should happen automatically!

Just an idea! :D
Last edited by Irinikus on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image...Onyx2: Quad R14K 500MHz, IR3; Tezro: Quad R16K 700MHz 8Mb cash, V12, DCD; Octane2: Dual R14K 600MHz, V12;
320: Dual 1GHz P III; O2: R12K 400MHz, DCD; IRIS Indigo: R4400SC 150MHz, ELAN; Indigo2: R4400SC 200MHz, Extreme; Indy: R4400SC 200MHz, XZ; Indy: R5000SC 150MHz, XL 24-Bit.

Image Image...Javastation-10; Sun Fire V880z. Image...Alphastation 255/300MHz. Image...IBM 486 DX4 100MHz. Image Image...Aurora 7500; Gaming Rig.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image...G3 Clamshell x2; G4 Sawtooth; G4 Quicksilver; G4 Mirror Doors; G5 Cheese Grater; Mac Pro 2013; 27-inch Cinema Display.
CRAY:...CRAY-1: Memory module; CRAY-2: Memory module; Power supply module; CRAY-3: E.C.L. module. ......................................................Here they are: :arrow:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Re: Are we a dying breed?

Unread postby Trippynet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

SGIs will continue to become more and more niche, the simple reason being that they are becoming less useful in the modern world due to their age - and mainly due to the web IMO. Similarly as the hardware grows older, failures become more common. I can understand why for some people who've had SGIs for a while, life moves on, they get used less regularly, and eventually the person decides to free up space by offloading their collection.

Of course, for 3D modelling, playing around with the more technical side of Unix/IRIX and other such things, they're still pretty good and useful. However a few years ago browsing the web on a faster SGI wasn't too bad thanks to Firefox 3 still rendering most sites OK. Nowadays though, Firefox 3 is increasingly struggling with sites, and as a lot of people enjoy web browsing, unless you stick to a few older sites or use RDP, you pretty much have to fall back properly onto another machine. I'm used to browsing on my main PC with my SGIs running on a separate monitor alongside. In short, using an SGI as a daily driver is more and more niche.

It's not helped by the fact that SGIs were always pretty niche to begin with. Outside of professional apps (for which licensing is a major problem nowadays), the software choice isn't great. Gaming choice is severely restricted, as are other items of software such as audio editing etc. Hence, they'll always have a smaller following than (for example) classic Macs, Amigas etc (IMO).

I don't think there's exactly a simple solution. Adding a new forum or two for PC discussion might be handy and might keep some people around, but I highly doubt that you'll suddenly get an influx of new young members - not when there's other big forums around already suited to this such as THG's forums etc. I reckon this place might be better suited to classic computing and other more technical/homebrew projects. But that's just my opinion of course :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 am

Trippynet wrote: don't think there's exactly a simple solution. Adding a new forum or two for PC discussion might be handy and might keep some people around

I agree with you.

The vintage PC arena also has quite a large following the there is currently no space on this forum for vintage PC collectors to have discussions concerning their hardware and software.

Maybe I'm a little different, but I always used to have the latest PC hardware, and whenever a new Graphics Card would come out for example, I would go out and buy it immediately! however, lately I haven't bought any new PC hardware as I'm far more interested in my vintage computer collection!
If it can happen to me, it can happen to others! :D

I would personally like to get the likes of Flame running on my Tezro (it was a flame machine, but it seems that the license for the software was on another server).

Maybe it would be useful to approach companies such as Autodesk to work out an arrangement with them to maybe offer enthusiast type licenses for their older software packages (the IRIX type) so that we can put our machines to good use!

SGI and IRIX are not at all relevant in the modern arena and it certainly wouldn't hurt their bottom line to give us that liberty!

This would make our experience of SGI and IRIX much better! :D
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image...Onyx2: Quad R14K 500MHz, IR3; Tezro: Quad R16K 700MHz 8Mb cash, V12, DCD; Octane2: Dual R14K 600MHz, V12;
320: Dual 1GHz P III; O2: R12K 400MHz, DCD; IRIS Indigo: R4400SC 150MHz, ELAN; Indigo2: R4400SC 200MHz, Extreme; Indy: R4400SC 200MHz, XZ; Indy: R5000SC 150MHz, XL 24-Bit.

Image Image...Javastation-10; Sun Fire V880z. Image...Alphastation 255/300MHz. Image...IBM 486 DX4 100MHz. Image Image...Aurora 7500; Gaming Rig.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image...G3 Clamshell x2; G4 Sawtooth; G4 Quicksilver; G4 Mirror Doors; G5 Cheese Grater; Mac Pro 2013; 27-inch Cinema Display.
CRAY:...CRAY-1: Memory module; CRAY-2: Memory module; Power supply module; CRAY-3: E.C.L. module. ......................................................Here they are: :arrow:

tomvos
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tomvos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 am

I don't know if a PC graphics subforum is a good idea. Usually this seems to attract people to fight their AMD vs. nVidia flame war. :cry:
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 am

That might be true, but it would be confined to that sub-forum! :D

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 am

I'm unsure we are actually missing anything on our board index. If I wish to write about my Vintage PS/2 I go to 'Other Platforms' --> 'IBM', cannot see what bringing other forum sections would bring.

There are plenty of other forums for vintage PCs and vintage anything if the truth be known, and I bet plenty on vintage Wine.

As for large companies doing anything at all? I'd be surprised if any of them gave a toss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 am

uunix wrote:I'm unsure we are actually missing anything on our board index. If I wish to write about my Vintage PS/2 I go to 'Other Platforms' --> 'IBM', cannot see what bringing other forum sections would bring.

I found this site by googling for information on my SGI machines, this is most probably because there are proper forums on this site for people to discuss SGI gear.

Because there are no sub-forums dedicated to vintage PC's, the google search engine would probably not point to this site, if someone had a question concerning a vintage PC.

I'm talking about just getting more traffic on this site and as a result raising awareness among people that SGI machines do exist and that they are fun to dabble in.

If enough of us approach the likes of Autodesk, Who knows, we might get a positive result, we can maybe even work out an agreement with them that they only issue enthusiast licenses to SGI enthusiasts that are members of this site? It would be sure be nice to play around with a properly licensed version of Flame on a Tezro!

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 am

tomvos wrote:I don't know if a PC graphics subforum is a good idea. Usually this seems to attract people to fight their AMD vs. nVidia flame war. :cry:

I have an AMD cpu and an Nvidia graphics card. Works fine, its 10 years old, plays all the latest games I care to play. I recently thought of upgrading to something that maybe was only 5 years old... lol
:Octane:
Public GPG key: 3FFC 3492 FEE7 C954 63C9 9E6B F1D0 1A90 B4CE 93BD

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am

Such discussions could potentially be interesting, I built my gaming rig in 2010 and plan on pushing it up until 2019. In my honest opinion most forums concerning PC are only aimed at coaxing people to go out and unnecessarily spend they hard earned cash on the latest hardware, when in fact they don't need to, as veteran PC's will do.

Hence, a vintage PC sub-forum could potentially be interesting. :D

Sadly to say: the future is PC, as they are the most adaptable machines and can be configured to fit any budget and performance requirement.(from budget to ultra high-end, you get exactly what you pay for with PC).

As for Apple, they've completely lost the plot and had better carry out some remedial action soon, as they will soon also succumb to PC due to their lack of adaptability.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Irinikus wrote:During the past couple of months, I couldn't have helped but notice, members of this site selling off the last of their SGI gear.

as long as the sale happens, where's the problem?
that'd only be a concern if they start trashing their stuff.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Agreed!

However, what seems to be happening is that the system will be sold to one of the members on the site, increasing the size of his collection, but the site then looses an active member, thereby reducing the amount of good conversation occurring on the various sub-forums on the site.

There are thousands of members registered on this site, but today, only a handful are still active. I don't believe that it has to be this way.

More than another sub-forum, I think we need to find a legitimate way of getting companies such as Autodesk to allow us to license the discreet packages that were available for IRIX, as enthusiasts. This will really help to keep the torch burning IMHO.

Has anyone here ever approached one of these companies in this regard, and if so, what was the outcome?

My intentions are good, I just want this site to continue in the best possible way!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Irinikus wrote:There are thousands of members registered on this site, but today, only a handful are still active.

it has always been like that. only a small percentage of all registered users are actually active which by the way goes for most forums.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:10 pm

foetz wrote:
Irinikus wrote:There are thousands of members registered on this site, but today, only a handful are still active.

it has always been like that. only a small percentage of all registered users are actually active which by the way goes for most forums.

Cool, I understand :D

Adrenaline

Unread postby Adrenaline » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 am

Figured I'd chime in on this since I have been on here off and on for 12 years. I started down the SGI path back in 2004 when I got a Reputable Systems Octane, found this forum a little later in 2005.

Then life stuff hit, moved out of the house (became super poor as a result), did eventually get a V6 for my Octane in 2006 when I got first professional programming gig. Basically that salary supported me getting back into SGI. My PC at the time was a Dual Athlon XP 1.8ghz that I had built back in 2004, relatively speaking not too much faster than my Dual CPU Octane II I just put together outside of Web stuff and modern games.

Between 2007 and 2016 I ramped up quite a bit on my collection that involved eBay for a Tezro, Onyx2, Origin 350, various O2s/Indys/Indigos, driving down to North Carolina to pick up literally a trunk load of Origin 300s, a Fuel and various parts. At this point I have everything but the R14k node boards for my Onyx2 and the Onyx 4.

For me at least it's been a nice roller coaster of rare finds, tinkering, restoration, but now the parts that I really want are super rare and trying to find that balance of progressing my C# skills for my job/personal growth along with getting my CISSP/PhD coming up next it'll be tough.

I don't plan on offloading my collection, maybe some of the spares down the road, but as others pointed out this hardware isn't getting any younger so having spares isn't a bad thing. As a community I think focusing less on the software side and more on the hardware side for what we're going to do for replacement hardware parts as the stuff starts failing is a better use of our time.
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 am

Adrenaline wrote:I don't plan on offloading my collection, maybe some of the spares down the road, but as others pointed out this hardware isn't getting any younger so having spares isn't a bad thing.

That's really good to hear, as I have the same sentiment. I plan on keeping everything that I've collected over the years for the rest of my life and that includes my vintage computer collection.

You work so hard to get a decent collection together, why on earth would you part with it after all the effort you put in?

Return to “Nekochan Net”