How can we encourage better group participation on this site?

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
Irinikus

Re: How can we encourage better group participation on this site?

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 pm

guardian452 wrote:These I just had off the top of my head. There are many other sites where you can get good information without having to watch a video.

At one point I did an ifixit teardown (oh dear god, remember that site? I think I lost a bet to do that one...) for my Onyx back when I still owned it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Silicon ... down/12546

You've got a vey good point here.

Very cool ifixit teardown by the way! :D
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...Image
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......Image
Image...Image .........................................................Image
......Image..........Image ...........................................................Image
............Image..............Image Image........................................................Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:16 am

Dodoid wrote:I like iFixit. Very useful for smartphone repair guides, etc. I used your Onyx guide when I took apart mine for transport. Very helpful!

Thanks!

They have a lot of good content in terms of repair information, but a lot of the extracurricular BS I find plain misguided. Rather than explain how to do something they will spend more time bellyaching about having to do it in the first place. Anything slightly inconvenient like having to acquire special tools. Which they then sell cheap copies of.

Like glued in batteries or the apple screwdrivers (I have a Wiha set, they work fine and no bitching necessary) I’m sorry, it got in there, it can come out again!

I’ve almost always found better luck with the manufacturer’s repair manual or just random vids on youtube (they do have their time and place!). If you want to see what’s inside the latest gadget that will be obsolete in 6 months anyways, I think that’s their bread and butter.

Ifixit remind me of the worst kind of auto mechanic, who thinks he is an engineering PhD and spends more time chatting than working. Tends to have a lot of useless snap on swag, like socks and hats. They don’t last long in my shop.

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 am

Irinikus wrote:Rather than not having any SGI gear at all, why don't you guys just go with one machine (the Indigo2 impact comes to mind, as it offers allot in terms of expandability and it can be equipped with an internal CD-ROM drive) have the power supply re-capped and you should be good to go for a very long time?

I guess it just didn't work out that way. I was out of Europe for nearly 10 years, came back with other things on my mind and no money to spend on that kind of gear, too. :lol:

In the meantime I have considered getting some gear but I had a Dual 270 Octane before, I was spoiled. So only a Tezro or Fuel would satisfy and, well, they got their own issues, price aside.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

Return to “Nekochan Net”