How can we encourage better group participation on this site?

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
Irinikus

Re: How can we encourage better group participation on this site?

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:07 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:
Hakimoto wrote:Acquiring physical machines and maintaining them.

I feel you, especially the maintaining part. That is where I had to give up the life, I wasn't going to be able to keep fixing the system indefinitely.

Rather than not having any SGI gear at all, why don't you guys just go with one machine (the Indigo2 impact comes to mind, as it offers allot in terms of expandability and it can be equipped with an internal CD-ROM drive) have the power supply re-capped and you should be good to go for a very long time?
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:
Image... Image ...:arrow:
Image................Image ......:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image....:arrow:

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm

My interest in SGI was and always has been the fact that I began doing CGI, VFX, 3D Animation in 1995 and have made a living at it ever since.

They were out of my reach back in the 90s personally. I wanted the Octane and an o2 and an Origin 200. Wanted so badly to be able to learn Softimage, Power Animator, and later Maya.

This all came true later but the best I was able to do was when the company across the hall wasn't so busy they told me I could play with the Octane. I'd tinker with Maya and Softimage but it was never enough time to fully learn anything. I had to go back to my Lightwave, Max R2, Cyrstal Topas etc etc. for getting work finished to make a living. Eventually Maya did jump to PC and Softimage became XSI and I was able to go ahead and learn them on the PC.

BUT, in 2008 I decided that I wanted the SGI I couldn't acquire back then and in 2009 found my first little o2.

My interest now is in learning all aspects of these machines so that I can create tutorial videos.

I myself have used Linux quite a bit (bout 10 years now) but still do not fully understand it's context.

I am learning things about Irix along the way, ever since I have acquired my 2nd o2.

Somewhere here on this forum is a post from me in 2009 (yeah I know, search function) with my little story about going down to Siggraph in 1995-1997 and ending up at the SGI offices in Santa Monica on Olympic and Bundy to buy an Octane which was going to run me $40,000+ before I added the Softimage Extreme package for even 5 digits more.

Well, I just purchased an Octane from Fox and it looks exactly like the one I wanted back then minus the dual CPUS.

So, what is my goal now?

Make old school 3D tutorial vids.

Vids for Maya 1 through 6.5 and Softimage 3.9.x

Maybe even some tutorials on Irix terminal usages.

I think teaching things is the key to getting new interest.

If you contextualize the information here it could spark interest.

I know how to script... minor program... from years in 3D. I see all this talk of compiling here to help create new options for these Irix machines.

That interests me. But that goes very deep. Learning to program can begin simple... hey look... I can "for loop" and "if" statement things.
Its a start. Teaching someone how to get around in Irix or Linux reminded me of my early days in DOS.

I didn't learn very much but I know a part of the "behind the curtain" command systems and terminals is a big mystery for a younger generation of kids who never have even attempted to interact with a command prompt in a post iPad world.

So, at the moment. I am hoping to acquire one of the personal video option boards out there for the Octane and record some desktop tutorials. Starting in 3D apps but maybe branching off into Terminal usage and maybe someday.... coding and compiling. Even if they are very simple examples.

SGI at this point aren't that different than kids buying a raspberry Pi (except cost and troubleshooting). You can start somewhere and get lost down a rabbit hole learning a new aspect of something.

This week I discovered quite a few SGI down here in Southern CA that were still in use recently.

One company had Octanes equipped with fiber cards that were used for a "Phantom Transfer Engine" and the same company had o2s running Da'vinci setups.

There is a guy in Burbank selling an Indigo2 Impact and a VW 320. He told me to give him a fair price on the Indigo2 and he'd give me the vw320 with it.

Lots of interesting little toys to play with out there.

Ok,, given all of this context... Have you guys ever considered a facebook page for SGI computers?

I belong to a commodore 64 group and it went from small to decently large with many posts a day.
I do love the forum here though. FB kind of killed most forums.
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Intuition wrote:Have you guys ever considered a facebook page for SGI computers?

the HUGE (did i stress that enough? :P ) plus of independent sites is that you're in control, not bacefook or whoever else. also the search capabilities are so much better and you can have the forum/site do whatever you want.

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

foetz wrote:
Intuition wrote:Have you guys ever considered a facebook page for SGI computers?

the HUGE (did i stress that enough? :P ) plus of independent sites is that you're in control, not bacefook or whoever else. also the search capabilities are so much better and you can have the forum/site do whatever you want.

I kind of like the idea of being able to view a webpage on the actual machine concerned. Using Bacefook - or any other part of the modern web for that matter - on an IRIX box is just too painful. Sometimes I wonder if nekochan.net itself shouldn't rewind to something more amenable to browsing 'a la ancienne'.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 am

Intuition wrote:Ok,, given all of this context... Have you guys ever considered a facebook page for SGI computers?

If you're not paying anything, you're the product, not the customer.

Facebook? Count me out.
Attachments
6a00d8341d3df553ef0147e0e1aec2970b.gif
Geek&Poke from 2012, but every bit as relevant today.
6a00d8341d3df553ef0147e0e1aec2970b.gif (34.61 KiB) Viewed 216 times
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:21 am

Agreed!
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 am

I belong to a commodore 64 group and it went from small to decently large with many posts a day.
I do love the forum here though. FB kind of killed most forums.

I don't believe anyone ever tried to set up a Nekochan Facebook Page or Group, aside from perhaps as a placeholder, but there have been a few SGI-related Pages/Groups. Some that I know of include:

FB Groups tend to be more interactive than FB Pages. I do use FB for some things, but the only thing I miss from FB when I'm here at Nekochan would be the ability to "Like" posts, and I'd rather just stay here. FWIW, the lowendmac.com folks seem to have revitalized their community by starting a Facebook Group. Personally, I wouldn't say "never!" to a Nekochan FB Group, but I haven't seen sufficient interest for creating "yet another" place to talk about SGI stuff, especially if the primary purpose of the host of that place is tracking every move you make on the Internet and selling ads.

That said, a public Nekochan Facebook Page might not be the worst idea in the world to serve as an easy-to-find site for Nekochan.net announcements. For example, an FB page would be a simple way to keep folks up to date if Nekochan.net is offline for maintenance or other technical issues. People wouldn't need to sign in to FB or have an FB account to view the Page. I'll put the idea on the moderator team's discussion agenda.

-jh

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 am

jimmer wrote:Sometimes I wonder if nekochan.net itself shouldn't rewind to something more amenable to browsing 'a la ancienne'.

crossed my mind, too. the problem is that the stuff from back then is quite crappy security wise so for a proper solution one would have to create something custom.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:06 am

josehill wrote:Facebook
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
foetz wrote:the HUGE (did i stress that enough? :P )
No blink tag, no rainbow swirls. Insufficient 8-)

I don't even like you guys all that much and I'm happy to contribute to the donation fund to keep nekochan afloat the way it is.

Something more than a forum would be nice tho. If we had hosted blogs where maybe some of our more interesting projects could be shared that would be neat. Like hackaday but for stuff people here would find interesting.

Maybe if there was a nice blogroll of software projects it could encourage fresh use of irix again.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:25 am

I understand all the points made.

My goal wasn't to stop using the Nekochan page as a primary hub... but rather, use Facebook, Instagram, etc etc... as gateways to here.

There are all the great YouTube vids on SGI. They could be compiled into a pinned post here or a subsection on the Neko main menu page.

Dodoid's history vids are a great resource. Images, text, and video things filled with information on any subject are the bread and butter of the internet.

Social Media's primary draw is it's daily, weekly, monthly... live activity.

A facebook page would simply be a means to draw people here. IF the goal is to encourage better group participation.

Since most people use facebook and there is the current placeholder "SGI" page telling people to now follow HPE servers... you see a few posts with people saying HPE will never be SGI etc etc. Maybe lots of people have ended up at that page and just thought... oh it is dead. Then leave.

There is also a SGIalumni group with 14 people. Only a few posts from this year.

I see lots of pins on pintrest showing SGI computers and screen captures as well as youtube links.

If one of us start an SGI group.. or ... more specifically... "Silicon Graphics" .... page that posts

1. vids like Dodoid
2. Maybe later my 3d app tutorials.
3. Pics of recently acquired computers dug up from old businesses as well as
4. documenting the software that was available at the time
5. documenting the software post 2003... that has been created... and even modern updates to certain programs or libraries

... it shows the activity in the community to a wider audience. Even though... that all leads back here.

You can post pics or a small blurb on facebook... which is just the link to the forum posts/discussion....

Helping people part together machines.. etc.. the same way we do here... with the idea of people just ending up here with a paper trail of activity on facebook because that is where all the traffic is that could be diverted here.

But, believe me, I do understand that using an SGI to browse facebook or youtube isn't the easiest use of patience these days. BUT... I run my SGI next to my dual xeon 8 core and just use a monitor switch with two keyboards/mouse.
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 am

Someone(tm) can write a Nekochan client for IRIX. Done. :mrgreen:
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 am

I personally think that very well produced vids properly and professionally showing of the intricacies of SGI machines (hardware) and the use of IRIX on Youtube, making reference to Nekochan as a wealth of information, would be far more useful than the use of social media such as Facebook And Twitter, etc in getting more people to visit this site.

Maybe even vids showing the procedures required to keep these machines going into the future would be a very interesting topic and a means of getting more traffic to this site. (The procedure that jan-jaap carries in order out to sort out the problem of dying batteries in Dallas chips, for example, could make a very interesting video if correctly produced)

Facebook is for "Normies" in my opinion, and your average "Normy" out there is not the kind of person that has the intellect or the interest to mess around with vintage computers, such as SGI's.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:Someone(tm) can write a Nekochan client for IRIX. Done. :mrgreen:

This probably is a good time to remind everyone that the Nekochan.net forums are available via RSS. In fact, RSS is my favorite method for accessing Nekochan.net. It's very fast and efficient. (I'll leave the mechanics of subscribing to RSS feeds as an exercise for the reader, since every RSS feed reading tool is a little different.)

The RSS feed urls have the following forms:

Code: Select all

http://forums.nekochan.net/feed.php   (the base feed)
http://forums.nekochan.net/feed.php?<VARIABLE> where <VARIABLE> = the specific sub-feed reference.

General Feed - feed.php
All Forums Feed - feed.php?mode=forums
New Topics Feed - feed.php?mode=topics
Active Topics Feed - feed.php?mode=topics_active

You also can access feeds for particular forums and for particular topics. For example, the feeds for this forum (Board index > Miscellaneous > Nekochan Net) and for this topic (How can we encourage better group participation on this site?) are, respectively,

feed.php?f=2
feed.php?f=2&amp;t=16732287

You can figure out the RSS url for particular forums/topics by visiting the the regular forum and topic web pages, inspecting the regular urls, and simply transferring the forum number and topic number information to the feed.php url, or your RSS feed reader might be smart enough to present all of the available RSS options if you just paste in the url for your forum's/topic's regular web page.

FWIW, I find it most useful to follow the "New Topics Feed" and, as a moderator, the "Board index > Miscellaneous > Nekochan Net" feed separately, even though the latter is included in the former. As for RSS readers, I use the excellent, fast, web-based The Old Reader as an aggregator and cross-platform feed reader, but sometimes I use a client that is friendlier to keyboard navigation, like Reeder on my Mac, to browse through the feeds I've already aggregated at The Old Reader. When I want to reply to a topic, I just click on the relevant post in the RSS feed, and that brings me to the right place on the regular Nekochan.net website.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Irinikus wrote:The procedure that jan-jaap carries in order out to sort out the problem of dying batteries in Dallas chips, for example, could make a very interesting video if correctly produced)

http://software.majix.org/irix/index.shtml
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgi.html
http://www.sgistuff.net/mirrors/4dfaq/index.html
http://nekochan.net/~skywriter/

These I just had off the top of my head. There are many other sites where you can get good information without having to watch a video.

At one point I did an ifixit teardown (oh dear god, remember that site? I think I lost a bet to do that one...) for my Onyx back when I still owned it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Silicon ... down/12546

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:06 pm

I like iFixit. Very useful for smartphone repair guides, etc. I used your Onyx guide when I took apart mine for transport. Very helpful!

Also, worth noting: if anyone wants to post my SGI History series, I would suggest linking to my Complete History of SiliconGraphics. As was the plan from the beginning, individual episodes contain intros and outros where I explain SGI's situation at the beginning and end of the video. The intention here is that since viewers will see episodes when they release, often weeks or months apart, explaining where the last video left off is important (otherwise people might forget where things stand when coming back to the series). In the Complete History, all episodes are compiled back to back, and the intros and outros are removed and replaced with short title cards which simply display the episode's original name and release date. In addition, the standard Dodoid title card and end screen, usually found at the beginning and end of each episode, are removed (I like AdhesiveWombat music, but that intro screen music does get annoying after you've heard it seven times in a row, only interspersed by the Octane Swing). The compilation is a lot more enjoyable to watch back to back, and wastes less time on intros and outros. Watching one long video is also easier and more fluid than watching multiple short ones. All in all, the Complete History is just plain better, and it is how I suggest anyone wishing to watch the series should watch it.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Return to “Nekochan Net”