We have an IRC Channel!

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
foetz

Re: We have an IRC Channel!

Unread postby foetz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:21 pm

vishnu wrote:I'm on travel for work so don't have access to the config file (not even I can get into my firewall from the Internet!), but it's pretty simple, the default is to drop everything then I specifically permit a few things through, I thought permitting traffic on the ports that are dedicated to IRC would do it, but noooooooo... :|

just to be clear: do you just wanna use irc as a client or running an ircd?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 am

foetz wrote:
vishnu wrote:I'm on travel for work so don't have access to the config file (not even I can get into my firewall from the Internet!), but it's pretty simple, the default is to drop everything then I specifically permit a few things through, I thought permitting traffic on the ports that are dedicated to IRC would do it, but noooooooo... :|

just to be clear: do you just wanna use irc as a client or running an ircd?

Just as a client; trying to connect my newly compiled smirc to the nekochan irc server and I get a response back but it times out "waiting for authentication," it used to work just fine for me back in the days when the Internet was all friends, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've tried to irc since I started running iptables on my Internet gateway, which, I guess makes it an Internet firewall now. It's just a circa-1997 Pentium Pro 200 with 2 NICs, a wireless card and a dialup modem running Slackware 14...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

a few irc things have changed. if you haven't used smirc for so long it might just not work anymore. you could simply turn the firewall off for a moment and try then. that'll instantly tell where the problem is.

one of these changes for example is that irc servers now require an initial pong after you sent the USER line. older irc programs don't have that.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am

foetz wrote:a few irc things have changed. if you haven't used smirc for so long it might just not work anymore. you could simply turn the firewall off for a moment and try then. that'll instantly tell where the problem is.

one of these changes for example is that irc servers now require an initial pong after you sent the USER line. older irc programs don't have that.

Oh good grief, is there an updated RFC that describes that? :lol:

Just kidding! I know how to search RFCs, looks like 1459 and 2812 are relevant, with numerous websites from the Peanut Gallery chiming in... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed May 06, 2015 2:07 pm

I bailed on the IRC channel - lots of trolling and circular conversations - nothing fun in the least.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Yeah I tend to pop in once in a while but this is on and off... Once every few years I will stick around for a few weeks or months. This is one of those times. The last time was circa 2010, and before that 2007...

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Here's a first. I couldn't join #nekochan last night because the channel was full.

Mind you at any given time more than half the connected users have been idling for over five years. When is the last time a janitor went through?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Return to “Nekochan Net”