We have an IRC Channel!

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
duck
Donor
Donor

Re: We have an IRC Channel!

Unread postby duck » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:06 am

TeamBlackFox wrote:Are you ipv6 only now duck? I'm still stuck on ipv4 here in Virginia with Verizon FiOS.

Nah, I just can't get my vanity domain on v4 :-P
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:08 pm

duck wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote:Are you ipv6 only now duck? I'm still stuck on ipv4 here in Virginia with Verizon FiOS.

Nah, I just can't get my vanity domain on v4 :-P

Sounds like a dictatorial ISP problem to me! :|

In other news worthy of announcement, after considerable code refactoring I have finally gotten the smirc IRC client to compile! Well, on my Slackware 13.37 box using a fairly old version of g++. Will try it on my Octane tonight and if it works will build a tardist. It's a pretty advanced IRC client despite that it's been in suspended animation since 1999... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:52 pm

vishnu wrote:Will try it on my Octane tonight and if it works will build a tardist. It's a pretty advanced IRC client despite that it's been in suspended animation since 1999... :lol:

oh nice, i'd give it a try :-)
with all due respect to irssi, for interactive use i do prefer a gui program. being on a bunch of networks with multiple channels each a gui client with a separate channel list and other perks is a serious improvement.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:43 pm

foetz wrote:
vishnu wrote:Will try it on my Octane tonight and if it works will build a tardist. It's a pretty advanced IRC client despite that it's been in suspended animation since 1999... :lol:

oh nice, i'd give it a try :-)
with all due respect to irssi, for interactive use i do prefer a gui program. being on a bunch of networks with multiple channels each a gui client with a separate channel list and other perks is a serious improvement.

Coolness! 8-)

There's one problem I still need to solve, the pulldown widgets on the menubar aren't getting named, I compiled in editres support so you can name them with the editres resource setter, but he's got the widget creation so deeply enmeshed in C++ classes that I haven't been able to find yet where the names are getting missed. With older versions of g++ this didn't happen with the exact same code. Here's a screenshot, as you can see the widget label strings are falling back to their X Window ID numbers:
Attachments
scrsht-smirc.jpg
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:21 pm

damn what a cheesy bg pic :P

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 pm

That was my vacation to Pango Pango! :lol: 8-)
Project:
Plan:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 am

vishnu wrote:Yes but the guy who created Cedar Mesa exceptions said, at the C++ standardization meeting in 1991, “termination is preferred over resumption; this is not a matter of opinion but a matter of years of experience. Resumption is seductive, but not valid.”

I didn't say the people behind it were necessarily in the right ballpark.
What you're quoting shows a very serious confusion about what an exception system is for (which Stroustrop unfortunately labored under also): all it is, is a control transfer mechanism. It is sometimes convenient to use the exception system for error handling, but that really has nothing to do with how it should be designed.
So no, there is no problem with using exceptions that can be continued. What you usually would like to do is continue from a point before the exception was taken, but after the handler. When the stack is unwound to the handler first, there's no way to do that.

An easy use example would be a debugger that exists as a library. When the program encounters an exception, the handler from the library is given control and can print out or record the context that took the exception. When it's decided what to do (maybe the method had = when it should have ==) corrective steps can be taken and the method re-entered. As it stands users need to use external programs for debugging, which has many problems. Another example is logging. The debugger library could be replaced with a logging library that handles the same exceptions.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Well, that's easy, just remember the numbers. 0x80d8b9a0 is File, and ...
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:51 pm

With regard to exceptions, the Unix philosophy from the very beginning has been to give up rather than recover, from wikipedia: The kernel panic was introduced in an early version of Unix and demonstrated a major difference between the design philosophies of Unix and its predecessor Multics. Multics developer Tom van Vleck recalls a discussion of this change with Unix developer Dennis Ritchie:

I remarked to Dennis that easily half the code I was writing in Multics was error recovery code. He said, "We left all that stuff out. If there's an error, we have this routine called panic, and when it is called, the machine crashes, and you holler down the hall, 'Hey, reboot it!'"
Project:
Plan:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 am

ivelegacy wrote:Adium on MacOSX seems to be working but i can't see anyone on IRC, i mean i am usually contacted by friends that see me on the channel while i am not able to se anyone. If you see me and want to have a call, feel free to call me as i do not see any events (people entering a channel, people leaving, i do not see anything)

sometimes i am used to use a more serious irc client on linux, but it's a more rare event :lol:

I use irssi, it is in ports. FYI I don't see your nick in #nekochan right now (mine is mjw)

For the record, I tried out adium and it had no trouble connecting and joining the channel (the latest version 1.5.10)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 am

ivelegacy wrote:
guardian452 wrote:I tried out adium and it had no trouble connecting and joining the channel (the latest version 1.5.10)

it joins, it connects, but i can't see any events, also the user list is empty
i know it is working because when i am online a dude i know is able to contact me

btw, i have the mac-port, i think i will emerge a better client

iirc that's normal for adium. after connecting you have to join a channel to actually see something

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 am

Worked fine for me, I even talked to alver with it. :D But, I still prefer irssi... Anyways, did you try the latest version, and maybe blow away your old config files first? https://adium.im/help/pgs/Miscellaneous ... Files.html

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:34 am

Anybody using iptables on their firewall? Any hints on how to hack the config file to let IRC traffic through? All the "simple and obvious" stuff I've tried has done nothing except start blocking my Apache webserver traffic from getting through as well... 0_o
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:55 am

vishnu wrote:Anybody using iptables on their firewall? Any hints on how to hack the config file to let IRC traffic through? All the "simple and obvious" stuff I've tried has done nothing except start blocking my Apache webserver traffic from getting through as well... 0_o

an isolated rule is not enough. iptables and others are rule sets. emphasis on set where the position of each rule matters, too.
you could paste your firewall here; maybe obscuring certain details but without seeing the whole thing all help is just a stab in the dark.

if you don't wanna expose your ruleset in public feel free to send a pm :-)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm on travel for work so don't have access to the config file (not even I can get into my firewall from the Internet!), but it's pretty simple, the default is to drop everything then I specifically permit a few things through, I thought permitting traffic on the ports that are dedicated to IRC would do it, but noooooooo... :|
Project:
Plan:

Return to “Nekochan Net”