growl vs redact vs delete

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
SAQ

growl vs redact vs delete

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Trying to get a polite policy discussion going here, so don't read it as an attack.

From time to time people miss the large orange bar and start discussing verboten topics. That is obviously not to be encouraged, but it seems as though there are several different responses. Sometimes there's a moderator growl, sometimes there's redaction, and sometimes the thread is simply deleted without comment or evidence.

Several of the "deleted without notice" threads I feel have had the potential to develop into useful technical discussions. There was one a year or so ago with some discussion of Alpha, and recently one that could have developed into a useful discussion of "things to avoid when mounting IRIX disks on Linux and how to fix them", but it was deleted.

I understand that the moderators get incredibly bored of repeating the same thing over and over again, as I'm in a position where I do that quite a bit personally, but it would seem like growls and redaction might be a better way of dealing with problems while letting conversation develop.

Thoughts?
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

SAQ

Re: growl vs redact vs delete

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

BTW I am not in favor of ignoring it - I tend to growl a bit on those threads and try and encourage them into more appropriate lines.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 pm

i prefer not to have hippo-critical, trigger happy mod's. since this is so; can't complain.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:19 pm

In at least one of the threads regarding moderation strategy from the olden days of Nekochan, there seemed to be a consensus around growls for relatively minor issues and redaction for clear violations of Forum Rules.

I agree that deleting whole threads (or even individual messages), particularly if done without comment, generally should be avoided.

Return to “Nekochan Net”