Split "Hardware for Sale/Trade" forum geographically?

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
stuart

Split "Hardware for Sale/Trade" forum geographically?

Unread postby stuart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:45 am

I wonder if there'd be any benefit in splitting the For Sale forum into geographic areas (or, at least, "North America" and "Rest of World"). Since most equipment is US-based and shipping to anywhere else (except, presumably, Canada and perhaps South America) is prohibitively expensive, it'd significantly increase the signal-to-noise ratio for anyone not living over there.

It'd mean that people in, say, Europe could still keep an eye on US items - but that they'd also be able to spot any local offers much more easily.

What do people think?

recondas

Re: Split "Hardware for Sale/Trade" forum geographically?

Unread postby recondas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:12 am

Speaking solely from my personal perspective, I think the current Bazaar Forum works well as it is.

A few have to be reminded, but most posters either have location info in their profile or include it in the post. Your suggestion would offer a minor convenience, but would neko soon have requests for the inclusion of smaller and smaller geographic areas <Asia, Oz, East Coast, West Coast, Ohio, Bay Area, NYC?>.

A simpler solution would be the inclusion of a location in the post title, much as has been done with [eBay] posts - say something along the lines of [Euro], [USA], etcetera.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:45 am

recondas wrote:Speaking solely from my personal perspective, I think the current Bazaar Forum works well as it is.

A few have to be reminded, but most posters either have location info in their profile or include it in the post. Your suggestion would offer a minor convenience, but would neko soon have requests for the inclusion of smaller and smaller geographic areas <Asia, Oz, East Coast, West Coast, Ohio, Bay Area, NYC?>.

A simpler solution would be the inclusion of a location in the post title, much as has been done with [eBay] posts - say something along the lines of [Euro], [USA], etcetera.

I second that.
I think it is good as it is.
As long as you can determine the seller location it is not much of a problem. And even if I prefer buying locally (Europe) I sometimes buy the occasional hard to find stuff from the US.
Mein Führer, I can walk!

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:17 am

deBug wrote:And even if I prefer buying locally (Europe) I sometimes buy the occasional hard to find stuff from the US.

I second that.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

stuart

Unread postby stuart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:14 am

Sure, I agree - I like to keep tabs on what's going down elsewhere too.

Perhaps encouraging people to include their region in the post subject is the better aim then...

<feel free to include your favorite quote concerning attempts to herd cats here>

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28 am

stuart wrote:<feel free to include your favorite quote concerning attempts to herd cats here>

Fair enough, but you and other potential buyers can control your buying habits easily enough. If they don't include whatever level of info you deem a minimum <such as the location in the title> *don't* read the post. If they really want to sell what they've listed, they'll get the idea.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Return to “Nekochan Net”