A delicate request

Opinions, ideas and thoughts about Nekochan Net.
Oskar45

A delicate request

Unread postby Oskar45 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 am

Our "Everything else" forum rule just stipulates "No politics, please". Could you possibly change that to "No politics or religion, please", or some such?

My reason for such a request is that for quite a long time I'd fight the urge to comment on nonsense like Creationism, Creation Science, Intelligent Design etc. Of course, by our present rule, I'd have been allowed to submit completely nasty posts at my whimsy on these subjects. But, while I think most of our members are quite open-minded, others might be totally offended. So, please ban religion in addition to politics on the "Everything else" forum.
About 40% of Americans deny evolution. Sad.

HerpDerpMcGerp

Re: A delicate request

Unread postby HerpDerpMcGerp » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:42 am

so ... because you believe you are not capable of governing your own behavior, you want a higher authority to step in and give you a commandment to abide by? which is somehow preferable to -- or easier than -- deciding rationally to abstain from said behavior?

how ... curious :)

fu

Unread postby fu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:27 pm

i think we should all give neko a brake and self-moderate ourselves. it's summer, the whole world is going broke, and the last thing we should worry about is one more rule in a fine place like this.

i think neko never had a problem with "politics" (or any other topic) per se as long as we don't bust his balls about it. there are times we get to have some very interesting discussions here (thanks to diversity) and other times that we act like crybabies.

i'd say to get in (or opt out) a conversation as adults. i enjoy conversing with a wild bunch of you whatever the topic is. i never had any problem w/ humour, different styles/views or critique. i'd join a discussion on religion started by you oskar without nagging @ neko/mods if we don't agree.

muppets @6:09 ask: is conversation a dying art?

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 pm

fu wrote:i'd join a discussion on religion started by you oskar

Hey pal, a few gins first :-) Ok, I think Intelligent Design stuff is completetly demented.

vishnu

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm like Carl Sagan, when it comes to religion I don't want to believe I want to know...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

fu

Unread postby fu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:14 pm

uhmmm can you handle the gin today? i can only find ice cubes around an ancient theatre, nearest bar is 10km away :)

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:35 pm

fu wrote:uhmmm can you handle the gin today? i can only find ice cubes around an ancient theatre, nearest bar is 10km away :)
YES, I can. Have a secret weapon, though :-)

vishnu

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Have a secret weapon, though :-)

A jar of olives? ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Self-moderation is the buzzword indeed. When things go out of hand, be sure that one of us will come and lock y'all down. ;-)

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:04 am

Hakimoto wrote:Self-moderation is the buzzword indeed. When things go out of hand, be sure that one of us will come and lock y'all down. ;-)
If that's so, just why was it necessary to give the explicit forum rule, "No politics, please"? You might as well remove that rule as superflous. When things in said area go out of hand, someone of you will come as a son of God and lock us anyhow :-)

mgtremaine

Unread postby mgtremaine » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Ezekiel 23:20 <- !! :lol: Just quietly lurking, browsing the topics, agreeing in my mind then I had to google your sig.... Starting laughing, my wife asked what I was laughing at. ;)

-Mike

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I found a book where Buñuel quotes Wisdom 2:1-9 out of context, and it impressed me a lot.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:20 pm

mgtremaine wrote:Ezekiel 23:20 <- !! :lol: Just quietly lurking, browsing the topics, agreeing in my mind then I had to google your sig.... Starting laughing, my wife asked what I was laughing at. ;)

What I can't understand is, why would anyone want a boyfriend who farted like a horse ?

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:51 pm

@Oskar45: Your point is well taken. The reason there's the no politics rule is because back in the day, as you may well remember, we had political discussions go way out of hand. I suppose, yes, the rule is arbitrary, as is our [the mods] judgement whether to shut down any given thread. I should think that over the years things have 'evolved' somewhat and things go out of hand less quickly and less commonly. Whether this justifies an "update" to the rule, well, that remains to be seen and is, quite honestly, neko's call. :)

Geoman

Unread postby Geoman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 am

Oskar45 wrote:Our "Everything else" forum rule just stipulates "No politics, please". Could you possibly change that to "No politics or religion, please", or some such?

I support this.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!

Return to “Nekochan Net”