Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Downtime
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:07 am 

jan-jaap wrote:
And to think I have fiber-to-the-home, with TV, telephone and unrestricted[*] 50Mbit (up and down, soon 100Mbit!) network for 60 or 65EUR/month. A fixed IP was a one time administrative fee of 25EUR ....

FTTH is pretty common here, too. Residential is $22.50 a month but then, we have certain restrictions :) Business gets shafted to make up for it, our crappy 512 mbit connection that has been slower than molasses ever since the worst company in the country, China Crapicom, took it over, runs about a hundred $$ a month.

Mr Neko, I notice you do your own DNS. How does that work ? Can you just set up a dns server and the other dns servers will pick you up, or did you have to get integrated into the Greater Internet in some way ? I need to better understand dns, since that's the biggest tool they use to mess us up. I can say with some authority that putting a known-good dns server address in your setup doesn't help, they still manage to poison it. Thanks, Cisco.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:02 am 

hamei wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:
Mr Neko, I notice you do your own DNS. How does that work ? Can you just set up a dns server and the other dns servers will pick you up, or did you have to get integrated into the Greater Internet in some way ? I need to better understand dns, since that's the biggest tool they use to mess us up. I can say with some authority that putting a known-good dns server address in your setup doesn't help, they still manage to poison it. Thanks, Cisco.

During the downtime I was doing some snooping on my own to pinpoint the problem, and it looks like both nameservers are run locally by nekonoko on the webserver. So unless they continually update their list of known DNS servers, I wouldn't think they would catch on and poison it for such a small site.

If he were to switch over to one of the free DNS providers like dns.he.net (which is an amazing service, by the way) then I could imagine that various ISPs/state governments would tinker with the records that you're seeing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can set up your own forward DNS pretty easily, but the reverse DNS can be an issue if your ISP doesn't support a fall through to your DNS server (for example, 64.81.247.28 would reverse map to something like dsl081-247-028.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net instead of sachiko.nekochan.net).

And as jan-jaap mentioned, most MTAs would block SMTP originating from a residential class line. Business class subnets aren't normally blacklisted as they're expected to provide SMTP traffic.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:55 am 

nekonoko wrote:
kubatyszko wrote:
some other means of communication so that jan-jaap doesn't get into withdrawal ?

Hey, you're welcome - glad I spent all that time on the phone getting things running for you again.

That said, I may look into using Twitter for notifications again. But you have to realize this is my hobby, not a professionally paid for site with advertising and income and all the other neato stuff (currently runs me about $3000/yr out of pocket). Going on right off the bat about how I could do things better isn't very endearing.

We could go super-retro and have an IRIX UUCP link. All we'd need to do is find a way to encapsulate it over Skype computer:computer to eliminate phone long-distance charges (with a failover to local telephone calls).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 pm 

SAQ wrote:
We could go super-retro and have an IRIX UUCP link. All we'd need to do is find a way to encapsulate it over Skype computer:computer to eliminate phone long-distance charges (with a failover to local telephone calls)

I assume you're going for comedic effect here. There is a defined mechanism for running uucp over TCP, it's probably in your /etc/services file. So in theory we could do it today, though I've never looked at the uucp implementation on IRIX. (I was ...!think!liable!smj for a year or so, using a Sun-3/140 and Telebit Trailblazer.)

It's a neat idea, but the configuration is enough of a bear that most folks need a really good reason to go through that level of pain.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 pm 

Neko - thanks for everything you do. It is easy to take a site for granted... but then it goes down and you are thinking to yourself 'crap, I should have archived so many of those useful posts' because the first place our mind goes is not to network failure but to hardware failure, lightning strike, tornado, meteor... "When Nekochan went down, I thought I felt the earth rumbling from the explosion... but it was just my stomach getting ill..."

This is the coolest alternative computing enthusiast site out there. Or maybe all others are the alternative and this is the sole remaining mainstream computing site? ;^)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
I apologize for the recent downtime - there was an issue at the central office that was finally resolved this morning. No hardware/software failures on my end though :)

I hope penguin didn't wet his oats this time!

And now, this time without autocorrection:

I hope Pentium didn't wet his pants this time!

DECUS Member 368596