Anyone have any idea where I could find a CD-ROM drive like this?

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
LarBob
Donor
Donor

Anyone have any idea where I could find a CD-ROM drive like this?

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a ThinkPad 365XD which uses a 2.5” 44-pin hard drive connector for the CD-ROM internally. The connector looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/STqfwYI.jpg (big image so I linked it instead, sorry about low quality but you can see the connector at least). The drive is bad and I need a new one. I can’t find the part anywhere that’s reasonable so I’d like to find a drive that used this same connection. I also have another drive that uses the standard slim 50 pin connector (JAE) but can’t seem to find a good adapter. (Would one like this work? The ThinkPad uses the 4 jumper pins seen in the original picture, so that's why I have my doubts.) Thanks for any help.
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

bifo

Re: Anyone have any idea where I could find a CD-ROM drive like this?

Unread postby bifo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am

Oh hey, I think I have the same model thinkpad. Unfortunately that's a big ask, afaik that drive is so weird and antiquated that it can't even read 700mb CD-Rs, only 650s, I think it was built down to a price. Great thinkpad though, I've got one running win3.11 with a PCMCIA ethernet card and a gameport adapter.

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:50 pm

bifo wrote:Oh hey, I think I have the same model thinkpad. Unfortunately that's a big ask, afaik that drive is so weird and antiquated that it can't even read 700mb CD-Rs, only 650s, I think it was built down to a price. Great thinkpad though, I've got one running win3.11 with a PCMCIA ethernet card and a gameport adapter.

Yeah, unfortunately they seem to be quite difficult to find. I guess my best bet is to find a PCMCIA SlimSCSI card and an external SCSI cd-rom, but that seems to be pretty expensive (40-50 dollars total is the best I can find). Thank you!

bifo

Unread postby bifo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm

That could work, do you specifically need it for CDs? I avoided the problem of burning things to transfer over (drivers, software) by getting a Syquest parallel port ezflyer 230mb cartridge drive, which I think was about $30 fully boxed with driver disk and manuals.

roberttx

Unread postby roberttx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Do you have a mfg & part # for the drive? I have a bunch of orphan drives and might be able to find one that would fit it your housing, if I knew what to look for.

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 pm

roberttx wrote:Do you have a mfg & part # for the drive? I have a bunch of orphan drives and might be able to find one that would fit it your housing, if I knew what to look for.

CD-ROM Drive (4x speed) 69H7925
CD-ROM Drive (6x speed) 82H8160
CD-ROM Drive (8x speed) 82H8173
Not exactly sure on mfg, around 1996-97 iirc?
Thank you!
bifo wrote:That could work, do you specifically need it for CDs? I avoided the problem of burning things to transfer over (drivers, software) by getting a Syquest parallel port ezflyer 230mb cartridge drive, which I think was about $30 fully boxed with driver disk and manuals.

That's a good idea too, thanks. I do specifically need a CD-ROM drive though as I'm going to install Rhapsody on the machine.

roberttx

Unread postby roberttx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm

I haven't had a chance to look in my pile of crap, yet, but I found a 6x online for $10 OBO: http://www.thinkpad-parts.com/82H8160-ThinkPad.html

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm

The 44 pin connector seems to be a mini-IDE + power connector. I'm sure this is known, but i thought i'd mention it anyway. So you could try out a generic IDE slim CDROM and find a convertor online or solder something yourself.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm

roberttx wrote:I haven't had a chance to look in my pile of crap, yet, but I found a 6x online for $10 OBO: http://www.thinkpad-parts.com/82H8160-ThinkPad.html

Yeah, that website has some pretty bad reviews and also only allows for credit cards so I'd really rather not risk it. Thank you though

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 pm

A very kind user on thinkpads.com has offered me a 365X they put a CD-ROM into for the cost of shipping. I guess this is resolved! Thanks everyone

Return to “IBM”